Fan motor lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got this old Lasko (cheap) fan that I got in 1994. It's small but on a pedestal, so it's quiet and is at the right height to draw air in through my window. I use it while I sleep pretty much year round.

Every couple of years or so I have to lube the motor because of noise or whatever. In the past I've used Pedro's chain lube (for bicycles) because I had it on hand; this year I used Boeshield T-9. Both products seem to work fine, although not sure on durability of the Boeshield.

So my question is, should I be using something else for this task? I suspect the Pedro's lube is pretty similar to 3-in-1...

keep using what is working, the oil most likely is worth more then the fan. 1994, must still have good bronze bushings I would say.

I would not use Boeshield (although good stuff) as its not really made as a lubricant rather as a protector. Maybe for door hinges, but nothing like an electric motor.

I think anything is better than nothing, but 3 in 1 would be best or the lubricant they use for boiler pumps (older ones). Its probably 10 non detergent.

Your motor probably has sleeve bearings which work to some extent, but are the cheap way of making a bearing.

Yeah, it's definitely nothing special (I was in college so I'm sure I bought the cheapest I could find). But they don't seem to make anything smaller than 16 inch fans on pedestals now (this is an 8" fan on a 40" pedestal). The bigger ones I've tried were louder than I wanted.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not use Boeshield (although good stuff) as its not really made as a lubricant rather as a protector. Maybe for door hinges, but nothing like an electric motor.

This is what I was thinking also (I usually use the Boeshield for spraying the inside of my steel bicycle frame as a rust preventative). When it starts to rattle again I'll try something else. I have some other chain lubes I might try: Finish Line Teflon Plus and Prolink, or I might go buy some 3-in-1.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Your motor probably has sleeve bearings which work to some extent, but are the cheap way of making a bearing.

Yeah, darn things only lasted 18 years so far eh?

3 In 1 makes a 20wt. electric motor /fan oil that is mainly used in fan motors with lubrication ports. IMHO, If the fan has no ports then regular 3 in 1 should be the best bet. Maybe a SuperLube syringe would be better (synthetic oil with teflon) but if you have 3 in 1 stick with it, again, just MHO.

Last edited:
Try Zoom Spout oiler. I like that the spout can be extended out to make it easier to dispense oil without making a mess. Should be able to find it at most hardware stores.

This reminds me... I have a ca.1998 White-Westinghouse fan that is also a smaller diameter and is perfect. Guess I should lube it too!

I hate that all the fans now are really huge diameter. It does throw more air, but the size is obnoxious. We have a 16" (I think) Lasko US made fan which is quiet and nice, but just so darn big...

We've got a Delonghi fan from ~1986 or so. I've taken it apart a few times to lube the bearings with regular M1 5w30. It still works as good as ever, used ~8-10 hours every night for 26 years now.

Mobil 1 0w40 has permanently fixed fan noise for me in many, MANY electric fans. As in, I've never had to re-lube them.

Nectar of the Gods I tell you!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Mobil 1 0w40 has permanently fixed fan noise for me in many, MANY electric fans. As in, I've never had to re-lube them.

Nectar of the Gods I tell you!
grin.gif

+1

Arent you NOT supposed to use detergent oils for stuff like this for some reason?

In fact, isnt the right lube for many motors actually a 00, 0 or #1 grease?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Arent you NOT supposed to use detergent oils for stuff like this for some reason?

In fact, isnt the right lube for many motors actually a 00, 0 or #1 grease?

They have a very light oil in them from the factory, usually a lovely bottom of the barrel lube that goes hard and burns up after a year or so.

I don't know whether you are "supposed" to use ND oil or not, but the oil I've used, being detergent, has the benefit of dissolving the old lubricant and its varnish that it has left behind.

Thanks guys! It started out a little noisy last night, but after about 10 minutes it quieted down. And it seems to blow stronger than it has in a number of years. I have some Mazda synthetic oil on hand, so I might try that next time.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
It started out a little noisy last night, but after about 10 minutes it quieted down. And it seems to blow stronger than it has in a number of years.

sounds like the lube in your motor bushing/shaft is somewhat gummed up....time to clean and re-lube.

Q.

We have 7 or 8 fans in the house, & some are well over 20 years old. All are cheap discount store models with plastic stands & blades. I've managed to keep them all going for many years by taking them apart every year or 2 or 3, sooner if they start squeaking/squealing or running too slow. I clean the cages & blades, remove the motor cowls & oil the bushings. I don't mess with the oscillating "gearbox" on most of them since mine are run with it disengaged. Put 'em back together & they run happily for 6 months or a year or 3 until I do it again.

Oil? 3-In-1 oil(regular, not the claimed electric motor stuff), Hoppes gun oil, Abu-Garcia Silicote fishing reel oil, & the past few times used Case XX Honing Oil- a can found in the carport closet, I bought it new circa late 1970s/early 80s, almost certainly 3 in 1 oil. The instructions on the can invite you to lube the joints on your Case pocketknife with it, contains no abrasives. Works as well as anything else I've used(*until maybe the most recent new oil). Rem-Oil seems mighty thin, but went a Long time between squeaks. Latest oil- the Zoom Spout Oiler. "Contains Highest Quality Turbine Oil."
grin2.gif
I'll say this about it- with 3 in 1 & similar, it often took a few minutes run time before things began to improve. I've lubed 2 fans with the Zoom Spout now, & the improvement was almost instantaneous. It does seem to be thinner oil than the 3 in 1, Hoppes, & Case- if it's true those are a 20W, then I suspect the Turbine stuff is about a 10W. That long flexible tube is a real asset in some cases, & for the next fan service I expect it to *really* help a little 8" dia fan that gets used often & due to cowl removal problems hasn't had the rear bushing oiled in many years. Like maybe never since it was mfg!

I like the Mobil 1 usage idea! Might try it- but I suspect that new 4-oz bottle of Zoom Spout oil(turbine, no less!) may be almost a lifetime supply. It's cheap too- bought mine for $1.72 + tax at the local Ace Hardware.
thumbsup2.gif

since I had a ton of it laying around I've been using Amsoil gear lube in my oil can for years.

Works great on a lot of things including fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back