Family Sized Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a smoker. I've seen these wood pellet ones. What brands give you the best bang for your buck?
Are some more reliable? Must be made in America. I'd like to grill and smoke with it.

I love my Kamado Joe Classic II (and it addresses your functional requirements) but it does not fit your requirement of Made in America. The hinge is far superior to its American built competitor.

It's tough to comment without pictures so I'll be brief.

A friend has a 5 foot tall, multi-shelved smoker he swears by. The fire/smoke box is in the bottom and the unit is propane fired via a 20 lb. tank.
It opens like a plain kitchen cabinet.

We started smoking with a regular, round Weber Grill using the recommended ring of charcoal with dampened chips for smoke.

The Weber worked so well we got a tall Weber smoker with more capacity. It's all about having thermometers until you sharpen your eye.

A hooded grill which has a smoke pipe to a smoker is the only thing I can think of where you can grill and smoke at the same time. It'd be a big unit.

We have an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. Smoke box, charcoal grille, propane grille and propane burner. It takes charcoal briquettes.

The smoke box can also be used as a grille if you have to make large amounts and you'd prefer not to use propane.

Sorry for e sideways photos. The steak was smoked 30 mins a side. Love how the whole thing is medium and not just the center. The chicken is cooked for 4 hours. Mustard, franks red hot sauce and spices of your choice. I make a Texas dry rub.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I made mine out of a 55 gallon drum and an old propane tank fire box.

Cost was some time and MIG wire. it can smoke enough butts to feed an entire Boy Scout Troop and their families.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I made mine out of a 55 gallon drum and an old propane tank fire box.

Cost was some time and MIG wire. it can smoke enough butts to feed an entire Boy Scout Troop and their families.

Pics?

I just recently purchased a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Should be delivered today, actually. It has awesome reviews and is very competitively priced. If you're looking for a pellet smoker, the Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX has really, really good reviews on it. It's a bit more expensive due to the fact that it's a pellet smoker, but it's quite a bit cheaper than the comparable Traeger and has much more consistently positive reviews than cheaper alternatives. That would be the one I had went for had I decided to go pellet.

Click-bait thread title..

Came in thinking OP went crazy from quarantine and wanted help alleviating himself from his family..

lol.gif

Originally Posted by spavel6
Click-bait thread title..

Came in thinking OP went crazy from quarantine and wanted help alleviating himself from his family..

lol.gif

I thought it was about a really overweight tobacco user!

I have a Camp Chef which smokes great but doesn't meet your USA requirement. Stay away from the Danson's units as they don't go low and slow. I also have a Kamado but that isn't large enough for feeding a large group.

After years of use my preference is 300 goes in the Kamado. I have a Weber kettle and gas IR grill for various purposes. If you get a good pellet grill you will be very happy. Start it up, sit back with a beverage and don't worry. I get locally-made pellets for less than $0.50/lb in any flavor from Lumber Jack.

Weber has a new pellet grill but I don't know it's country of origin...most of their stuff is USA made.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
We have an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. Smoke box, charcoal grille, propane grille and propane burner. It takes charcoal briquettes.

The smoke box can also be used as a grille if you have to make large amounts and you'd prefer not to use propane.

Sorry for e sideways photos. The steak was smoked 30 mins a side. Love how the whole thing is medium and not just the center. The chicken is cooked for 4 hours. Mustard, franks red hot sauce and spices of your choice. I make a Texas dry rub.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a pretty cool smoker if you can turn chicken into steak. Link please!!

I would highly recommend a Green Mountain Grill. I've had mine for a few years now, and if I were in the market today, I would buy a Green Mountain Grill again. But I would spring for a Prime model. They have added a few features that are very nice.

Many of my friends have bought Traeger grills, so I've seen a few of them in use. Unless you get into the most expensive Traeger model line, the controller on the GMG is far superior. And my GMG just feels like it is better built for the money.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back