False advertising - can I sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting really, really tired of manufacturers making ridiculous and untrue claims about their products. I'm starting to boil over and I'd really like to call them out and sue one or more of them. It's not about money, though that's always nice, it's about the principle. False advertising is ILLEGAL!

I own a number of products that could quality, but two main ones stand out.

First, I have a "Mr. Heater" portable indoor/outdoor propane heater. Clearly advertised everywhere as 4000/9000 BTU/hour propane input. Well, I weighed a brand new propane tank, left the heater on for an hour on low and high, and weighed the propane tank again to calculate the BTUs. Actual BTU input is about 3500 on low, or 5000 on high. That's barely half of the advertised output. I tried contacting the company about it, but they have ignored me. (obviously they are aware of the problem and don't care)

Secondly, I just bought this compressor from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667
Clearly it says "Heavy duty 3hp motor". This is not the "peak" rating, but the supposed running HP. If I measure the power it uses, it peaks at 13 amps @ 118.5v. Since 746 watts = 1 HP, then this motor only uses 2hp worth of electricity. But it's not 100% efficient either, so real world HP is probably closer to 1.5hp.
Also, it clearly says 125PSI. The pressure switch comes from the factory with a sticker on it that clearly says it is set at 115PSI, as does the emergency blow off valve.
smirk2.gif

That said, these are not expensive products, (under $200 each) but it really [censored] me off that companies get away with shiat like that. Do you think I have a case to sue either of these companies for false advertising? Maybe even a class action suit? I can prove in court 100% without a doubt that the claims these products make are completely false. Also, both are registered under some kind of regulatory company such as UL. These aren't the only two products I can come up with either...

Clever on the tank weighing. I'll remember that.

Before suing, call harbor freight and tell them you were shipped the wrong compressor, and you'll be expecting the 125 PSI one any day now. Have them either give you all your money back and pay for the ship return (won't happen) or charge it back on your credit card!

(and hey, it's 130 PSI if you compare it against the moon
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: fordboy2
wasent the best choice of words...
wouldnt do that again...

We're all adults here, no reason we can't talk like it, especially when we're mad. That's what those words are reserved for.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Before suing, call harbor freight and tell them you were shipped the wrong compressor, and you'll be expecting the 125 PSI one any day now. Have them either give you all your money back and pay for the ship return (won't happen) or charge it back on your credit card!

Yeah, I'll probably call with a tad of extorsion first...but I don't want my money back. I want a judge to say "YOU ARE WRONG" and FORCE them to give me money!
56.gif
I would be REALLY happy if I actually saw some product ratings change.

Go class action or go home! I got $20 for buying a compact disc during some decade, and I think there's a diamond thing snaking its way through the courts for which I may be a winner!

Of course the lawyers are the true winners.

Nice idea, I get sick of the [censored] too. Maybe a little honesty in advertisement would be nice, and a few lawsuits might just bring some truth in advertisement. I don't think anyone will ever stop false advertisement, but it’s a start! Class action suits are the way to go. If you have the time, energy and resources, go for it!

AD

I believe "extortion" is also illegal. As for as the "we're all adults" part, you are correct. But as adults we all agreed to the board rules when we signed up. I feel your pain, but rules or rules.

I would talk to an attorney and if he/she thinks you have a case, go for it.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I believe "extortion" is also illegal.

But if I call and demand something and say "or otherwise I'll sue", that's not illegal.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
As for as the "we're all adults" part, you are correct. But as adults we all agreed to the board rules when we signed up. I feel your pain, but rules or rules.

I believe I agreed not to say "s**t", I did not, nor will I stop, saying "shiat". No more than I will stop saying sheite, shih-tzu, sheep, ship, or duck. This is the internet, you're only a few clicks away from things much much worse than fake words. (and if anyone is offended by fake words I REALLY feel sorry for you)

You're confusing the difference between a public street where you can hand out Hare Krishna flyers with someone's private, invitation-only living room where you go by their rules. While it's "the internet" you're going through, guess what's hosting your destination?
27.gif

The company has their own way of measuring output. They can probably provide documentation on how they've come to their conclusions.

Most car manufactures advertise HP ratings at the crank. These are often times inflated.

Why don't you work through consumer protection NGOs (UL,BBB) or your state's Dept of C.P. or A.G

A quantum leap to believing that there is a conspiracy to deceive the public and any judge will be on your side is a bit naive. The judge will be there to find FACTS of the case, not act on what you believe to be true. Is there documented proof of the identification of an issue to the mfg and letters back indicating their apathy or contempt towards resolving this?

"We were not aware of the situation, and we are investigating our supply chain for possible inaccuracies." would be the first words out of my mouth if I were representing the company if I were blind sided by such an issue.

Did you measure the air compressor under load? You have to have the maximum load on it to develop maximum horsepower !

Even though your car WILL develop xxx horsepower, it doesn't all the time. only at maximum RPMs and load !

Don't blame the company when you don't measure it correctly.

Could be they rated pressure at 125 PSIA rather than PSIG. Absolute pressures are 14.7 PSI higher than gauge readings. 115 PSIG would be 129.7 PSIA.

Going around the censor and using fake words to get around the censor is not allowed. That will earn you a vacation from my board. You are not allowed to pick and chose which rule you will follow and remain a member. SecondMonkey I am offended and I have locked this thread.

Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back