Fallout 4

I admit I always looked down a bit on gamers and refused to learn the buttonology and steering todays involved games.
But back in the day i played the orginals Fallout 1 and 2 a lot.

But... recently i discovered Fallout 4 which has tons of mods and is just too much fun!
The plot is you were in cryogenic hibernation for 200 years and finally leave your broken vault (=bunker)
While you were in your pod your wife in the opposing pod was murdered and your son abducted.

You are a highly decorated US Army vet and now use your skill set to cut your way through the post nuclear apocalyptic wasteland to find out what happend.
In the process you make many friends, save many villages, slay many giant scorpions/mutants/evil robots/bloodworms/molerats etc , sleep with many women (with the right mods installed) and help rebuild the region for the better.
There are tons of looks-presets out there for your to pick; you will find one that looks kinda like a better looking version of yourself, if that is what you want.
Here are some screenshots.
20230101152857_1.jpg
20230101151425_1.jpg
20230101135749_1.jpg
20230101112208_1.jpg
20230101111250_2.jpg
20230101003008_1.jpg
20221213200657_1.jpg
20221121230708_1.jpg

Last edited:
PS; the dashboard you see in some pics is what you see when you are in powerarmor.
There are several models of "Powered Combat Infantry Armor" for you to get in-game, via luck or pluck.

20230101145916_1.jpg
20230101021806_1.jpg

20230101145914_1.jpg

PS: The jetpack is only capable to assist with jumps making them much higher not for real flying.
Still a lot of fun to be able to jump onto roofs from the ground

I love how they did power armor in Fallout 4, except the friggin fusion cores with finite life spans. Fallout 3 and New Vegas power armors lacked that “walking tank” feeling IMO.
I think its is a good system. As for the fusion cores that need replacing:
It takes exra work on the players part but it also adds some realism and a shortage to manage.
early in the game I would wear the power Armor only for high priority misisons where i had an expectation of a lot of combat ( and not a run to Diamond city market)
Also avoiding sprints and not using VATS in easy batttles saves energy too.

Taking the "Nuclear Physicist " perk helps when its available.
late game you should have plenty of fusion cores when you trade in the loot of your enemies dead bodies for more fusions cores and ammo at the market in Diamond City and Goodneighbor.

When I entered the glowing sea not knowing what awaited me and expecting a long slog of no FCs available I was carrying a stash of 110 FCs , (more than enough for the entire game really)

Have you tried all the fun camoflage paintjobs?

Also there is a mod so annoying molerats cannot bite through your PA, which they should not be able to given they are just big rats: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7584

I do run a startup0 mod that gives me 10 FCs in the beginning:

Last edited:
PS: Which faction did you pick?

I thought the brotherhood was a bit too high and mighty in their attitue for my taste.
I admit they have the best gear and in the beginning (or perhaps all game?) are the strongest faction but I dont like their attitude when they meet me when not a member, even when in my own power armor.

If they treat me like that. how do they view the average wastelander whom they supposedly came to save?
even though I do admit they do a lot of good work wiping out raiders, ghouls, supermutant patrols and even supermutant bases.

Joining the Minutemen is the obvious moral choice IMO, since they are all about doing whats right and have even doign so with leather armor and piperifles.
Imagine giving men as hard as that, power armor (which i did on Occasion in the game)
There are also a couple of mods to buff them in the mid game and beyond.

The Institute has a really really good sales pitch to join them and it would be so easy to got that route, but ultimately they have made too many evil choices despite being so open and welcoming of the sole survivor. But i wont say any more so not to be a spoiler to those who hasvent gotten there yet.

I always avoided joining the Raiders in the Nuka world DLC, as cool as Porter Gage seems to be, i cannot join a group that decorates its bases with dead bodies and heads of innocent settlers.

Right now I am runnning as head of the minutemen but there are some tensions between the brotherhood and the minutemen (due to the Brotherhoods bad attitude towards us and the people we protect. Sometimes I am really itching for an excuse to start that war. I know the minutemen know how to bring the fight in a way that will wipe that arrogant smirk of the brotherhoods faces. The Sole Survivor alone, is worth an entire brotherhood platoon and they dont have that many platoons to begin with, relying on their T60 power armors rather than numbers....)
I believe have the military instruments (no spoiler) on hand to beat the brotherhoood but I do not want outright war since ultimately they are the good guys too and we would both incur great losses.

The railroad is also tempting as a good guy faction but ultimately some of their policies seem a bit naive vs the synths

Last edited:
I think its is a good system. As for the fusion cores that need replacing:
It takes exra work on the players part but it also adds some realism and a shortage to manage.
early in the game I would wear the power Armor only for high priority misisons where i had an expectation of a lot of combat ( and not a run to Diamond city market)
Also avoiding sprints and not using VATS in easy batttles saves energy too.

Taking the "Nuclear Physicist " perk helps when its available.
late game you should have plenty of fusion cores when you trade in the loot of your enemies dead bodies for more fusions cores and ammo at the market in Diamond City and Goodneighbor.

When I entered the glowing sea not knowing what awaited me and expecting a long slog of no FCs available I was carrying a stash of 110 FCs , (more than enough for the entire game really)

Have you tried all the fun camoflage paintjobs?

Also there is a mod so annoying molerats cannot bite through your PA, which they should not be able to given they are just big rats: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7584

I do run a startup0 mod that gives me 10 FCs in the beginning:
I play on Xbox, but there are also a ton of mods on there. I will shamelessly admit I enabled the cheat that stops fusion cores from draining in power armor.

PS: Which faction did you pick?

I thought the brotherhood was a bit too high and mighty in their attitue for my taste.
I admit they have the best gear and in the beginning (or perhaps all game?) are the strongest faction but I dont like their attitude when they meet me when not a member, even when in my own power armor.

If they treat me like that. how do they view the average wastelander whom they supposedly came to save?
even though I do admit they do a lot of good work wiping out raiders, ghouls, supermutant patrols and even supermutant bases.

Joining the Minutemen is the obvious moral choice IMO, since they are all about doing whats right and have even doign so with leather armor and piperifles.
Imagine giving men as hard as that, power armor (which i did on Occasion in the game)
There are also a couple of mods to buff them in the mid game and beyond.

The Institute has a really really good sales pitch to join them and it would be so easy to got that route, but ultimately they have made too many evil choices despite being so open and welcoming of the sole survivor. But i wont say any more so not to be a spoiler to those who hasvent gotten there yet.

I always avoided joining the Raiders in the Nuka world DLC, as cool as Porter Gage seems to be, i cannot join a group that decorates its bases with dead bodies and heads of innocent settlers.

Right now I am runnning as head of the minutemen but there are some tensions between the brotherhood and the minutemen (due to the Brotherhoods bad attitude towards us and the people we protect. Sometimes I am really itching for an excuse to start that war. I know the minutemen know how to bring the fight in a way that will wipe that arrogant smirk of the brotherhoods faces. The Sole Survivor alone, is worth an entire brotherhood platoon and they dont have that many platoons to begin with, relying on their T60 power armors rather than numbers....)
I believe have the military instruments (no spoiler) on hand to beat the brotherhoood but I do not want outright war since ultimately they are the good guys too and we would both incur great losses.

The railroad is also tempting as a good guy faction but ultimately some of their policies seem a bit naive vs the synths
I’m still on my first “play through” but I know all the outcomes (I enjoy watching Oxhorn on YouTube). I do plan on playing through all the factions with different characters though. I like Danse so for my first time I went with the BoS.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the Minutemen. The BoS is arrogant and bordering on outright… xenophobia I guess? towards anyone who isn’t them. The Institute gives me Enclave vibes (minus the whole “Final Solution” attitude), and I haven’t really dealt with the Railroad yet.

I play on Xbox, but there are also a ton of mods on there. I will shamelessly admit I enabled the cheat that stops fusion cores from draining in power armor.

I’m still on my first “play through” but I know all the outcomes (I enjoy watching Oxhorn on YouTube). I do plan on playing through all the factions with different characters though. I like Danse so for my first time I went with the BoS.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the Minutemen. The BoS is arrogant and bordering on outright… xenophobia I guess? towards anyone who isn’t them. The Institute gives me Enclave vibes (minus the whole “Final Solution” attitude), and I haven’t really dealt with the Railroad yet.
Dont watch oxhorn too much or it will ruin the game with too many spoilers. ;)

You will have to engage with the railroad (in a non hostile way) at some point, to drive the story forward.

Consider investing at least one perk point into armorer, if u havent already.
This will enable you to upgrade all amors to "C". Two levels for one perk!

Armorpgrades are valuable, for example in an extreme case, a T45 upgraded all the way to T45F is superior to a T51C or even D and matches or slightly exceeds a T60a (I am not saying i recommend it, it requires a total of 4 perk points invested into armorer and early in the game those perks points may be more needed elsewhere and by late game you are not using T45 anymore i did it once as an experiment).

Picking a perk or two in science will enable a couple nice armor upgrades too. When fighting institute forces, "EMP shielding" on the armor ( from science perks) is very useful.
Of course you do not have to invest so many perk points into armorer when its not too difficult to find high level armor in the game. Just do at least one level of armorer to make the most out of what you have (i usually do 2 levels armorer and 2 science as early as I can, until I am very high level and am looking for places to put perks into)
And of course "Gun Nut" perk through level 2 enables "heavy machine gun turrets" those are usually as heavy as I go, for settlement defenses.

Last edited:
I have wrist issues, so I was only able to put maybe 20 hrs into this game on PC. It was great, though. I don’t like to watch YouTube videos for the first part of my game play throughs, so I’m sure I’ve made a lot of mistakes. One thing I learned early on is to pick your battles. I was initially inclined to engage almost everyone who shot at me. I ran out of ammo quickly and died a lot.

Now that I have it on PS I want to get back into it. I haven’t really started the Demon Souls remake, so I think I’ll play that first, though. With my limited time to play, I’ll hopefully get to Fallout 4 some time in the 2030s. :eek:

Back