Falling Headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This year the headliner on the Beetle has started to fall down. I think it's because of our heat here. I'm also posting this for ideas for my grandfather's Jeep too because it's doing the same thing this year. I was thinking of buying a can of spray adhesive and using a straw on it and poke it through the headliner and spraying some adhesive in there and then smoothing it out and applying it back up.

Eventually they'll have to go to an upholstery shop but I was thinking of some ideas before it gets that bad.

Any ideas?

nfqx48.jpg

Pull out the whole headliner. Peel off old stuff. Then get the right adhesive and cloth material and redo the entire thing. Its not hard but you have to take your time to make it look good. There are probably videos on youtube to help. I wouldn't bother fixing it unless I planned on doing it properly. Poking holes will not look right.

Last edited:
I like the spray on adhesive and straw trick, as I don't spend a lot of time looking at the headliner anyways. I'll have to remember that when/if the time comes.

I did the "adhesive injection" thing. What you learn after doing it once is that the fabric is stretchy and will wrinkle if you aren't on your game.

The jeep I would consider doing myself but not the Beetle. With the grab handles and indented in visors and the sun roof I think it would be a job for the professionals

I've tried to fix with new material and 3M aerosol adhesive, but it didn't last long. An upholstery shop has the right glue and he uses an actual spray gun, not a spray can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back