Falken's new Ziex ZE-950 UHP all-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on this tire? It seems like a replacement for the ZE912.

65k warranty for H and V-rated tires (same as the 912)
45k for the W-rated (up 5k from the 912, which had a 40k warranty)

UTQG is
600 A A for H&V
500 A A for W

Available in 95 sizes from 15 to 20 inches

The highlight, at least for me, is that the ZE950 in the size 205/65-15 has a W speed rating and an XL load (99 as opposed to the usual 92-94) (there is no H or V-rated version in this size).

I would've gotten this tire had it been available when I needed tires.

ZE950_3qtr_Left_full.png

I have not driven on that tire, but I did have a few sets of the Ziex 512 a few years ago. I put them on Panthers (Crown Vics, Grand Marquis' and Town Cars) and by itself that tire greatly improved the way they handled. They made those 4000 lb. cars stick in the twisties. They were great in the rain, too.

They didn't come close to the mileage claimed. By 20,000 to 25,000 miles they were used up, and that was with everything perfect during that time period. But I was hard on them, so the short life didn't surprise me. The price was dirt cheap through Discount Tire Direct, so the fun per dollar ratio was excellent.

I have run Falkens. had no problems with them...other than did not come close to rated mileage. Friends the same...Same experience with my Kuhmo purchases. Never a problem other than way off on rated miles.

These look good. I hope they wear better than what seems to be a pattern of wearing out before their due time.

Falkens have a bad habit of wearing fast. Had a set of Ziex 912s and they were great for about 10K miles. They then got super noisy and wore down like nobody's business.

All of the 'outliers' such as Falken, Nitto, Hankook, etc., have gotten much better.

But virtually all of them have the same issue. They are wonderful when new and then performance suffers and noise and vibration goes up rapidly as the tire wears down. Usually IME they wear quite fast as well.

They are great tires that can perform well for most folks but IMO there are much better ones available that may last MUCH longer and actually be cheaper and safer over the long haul.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
For me its pretty simple, run Michelins.

Yeah, but Michelin tires are expensive. These are about half the price of any Michelin.

You kind of boiled it down there, didn't you?

That's what we buy here. It should be noted that on our fleet trucks the LTX MS2's are the cheapest tires out there PER MILE DRIVEN, as they far outlast any other brand on our 9000 pound vans. They can last to amazing mileage on a Silverado also, we had a member here who got 100k miles on a set!

My new Pilot SS are a gumball summer only tire that I normally get less than 20k miles out of with other brands. These still look brand new, and have a 30k mile warranty to boot. Of course they were pricey, but once again, comparing the miles per dollar ratio they look pretty cheap overall...

Its very easy to get tied up in opinions with this. My point is, waste $$ elsewhere and put quality rubber on yer vehicle. Its common sense. Its true intelligence in action.

expensive?...no where close as expensive to drinking, smoking, living beyond our means, eating out more than we can really afford, and so many other things that we could list...

You get to drive a vehicle that is enhanced by quiet ride, better handling, better grip, awesome wet weather handling (which is very important to me living down here in the 'swamp')

I know that when im on I95 surrounded by the mostly insane, selfish & dangerous driving that if I need to move or stop in a hurry, im in a WAY favorable position compared to those running cheaper tires. Youre doing 80mph and there's a plastic rear car bumper right in front of you and gave to change lanes in an instant...thats when you know. I had to.

Ive lost a car in a ditch mostly due to tires on the rear (of a front wheel drive car) having inferior sidewall technology & design compared to those on the front...the front tires easily having the car do things that the rears werent up to...

Ive run Primewells on my van and heard the noise, lack of steering response....the Kunhos on the rear were so far beyond in satisfaction its incredible...

what makes me laugh is people i see that put 20, 22 sometimes 24" wheels on their car and have some brand of tire on there that you havent heard of...hmm, good luck!

Tires: you get exactly what ya pay for.

Sure...YOU pay for them!

They do it again in three years when they rot off the rims!

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
I have not driven on that tire, but I did have a few sets of the Ziex 512 a few years ago. I put them on Panthers (Crown Vics, Grand Marquis' and Town Cars) and by itself that tire greatly improved the way they handled. They made those 4000 lb. cars stick in the twisties. They were great in the rain, too.

They didn't come close to the mileage claimed. By 20,000 to 25,000 miles they were used up, and that was with everything perfect during that time period. But I was hard on them, so the short life didn't surprise me. The price was dirt cheap through Discount Tire Direct, so the fun per dollar ratio was excellent.

512s are what I ran, got over 60k miles and they still had a ton of tread but were very cracked.

So I think it may have something to do with wrong tire for the application.

I liked mine, they wore like iron and were pretty quiet. Japanese made by Ohtsu. One did get a sidewall bubble...

They were somewhat hydroplane-prone.

I HATED the W rated 512s I've had on this car.

Not only did they wear very quickly, despite their relatively high treadwear rating, but they were the ONLY tires I've ever owned which had SERIOUS/MAJOR sidewall bubbling from minor pothole impacts (and YES, this was at the 'proper' inflation levels).

Maybe they've improved since then?
21.gif

This tire's tread pattern almost looks like a high performance, H or V rated winter tire, so depending on the compound, it might be decent on snow/slush, as compared to other all seasons' more 'dry performance' oriented tread patterns.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Falkens have a bad habit of wearing fast. Had a set of Ziex 912s and they were great for about 10K miles. They then got super noisy and wore down like nobody's business.
That was my experience as well. Had 912s on our Mini and Forester. For the first 10-12k miles they were pretty good, although winter traction was rather poor, even for an all-season. After that they got really noisy, and didn't last much past 20k miles. I liked the 512s I had years ago better than the 912s.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Any thoughts on this tire? It seems like a replacement for the ZE912.

65k warranty for H and V-rated tires (same as the 912)
45k for the W-rated (up 5k from the 912, which had a 40k warranty)

UTQG is
600 A A for H&V
500 A A for W

Available in 95 sizes from 15 to 20 inches

The highlight, at least for me, is that the ZE950 in the size 205/65-15 has a W speed rating and an XL load (99 as opposed to the usual 92-94) (there is no H or V-rated version in this size).

I would've gotten this tire had it been available when I needed tires.

ZE950_3qtr_Left_full.png

If it is a replacement for the 912's... then it should be a better all-season tire than the 912's. The 912's were an all-season mainly from the tread to void ratio and compound.... their lack thereof siping imo, made it a 3-season tire.

Plus, the 912's got noisy real quick.

I may have to consider them when I buy new tires.

I had a set of 912s on an '07 Fusion. I can't speak to their longevity, because I traded the car after about a year of the new tires. The 912s handled and rode well. They were horrible in snow. These 950s look to be an OK 3-season tire on a budget. But then again, most all UHP tires shouldn't be driven in snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back