falken or bfg T / ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello i am now finalizing my decision for tires. thanks to a co worker to curbed the side of the tire thus slashing it on a sewer drain i have to get new tires.

now i have seen falken and bfg T/a which i have on my 300zx and its a phenominal tire (though its 245/45/17).

so these are my 2 choices i have narrowed down. i will concider another tire, really im looking for good quality, more than 30k serivice life, and a not ugly looking tire. possibly 40k or even 60...

price range below 80 bucks a tire.

right now i have michelens mxv4 and for 30k it sucked, its down to the wire now.

i like high speed turns and messingi around =).

i really want long lasting tires that can take my abuse.

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
i like high speed turns and messingi around =).

i really want long lasting tires that can take my abuse.

thanks

If you have a treadwear of 800 you will not be taking turns as well as if you had a similar tire with a tread of 400. Its a trade off. Those tire (Yokohoma's) are rated for 80,000 miles as seen here.

I've had good luck with the Falken Ziex-512s as being a long wearing tire...the ST-115s might be more fun though...but I cannot complain with the 512s
smile.gif

oh well i can scratch high speed turns, my mxv4 didnt even hold a high speed turn anyways so anything is probably an improvment.

but wow 80k tires for 70 something bucks???

how many miles are u on your falkens?

humm lets go for longevity then, not peroformance, i mean i want it to at least turn and stuff...kinda like a balance is what i want.

oh and i dont wnat to pay 98 dollars for tires. thats wayy to high

You guys do realize that its the tires that save your life when you slam on the brakes from the big truck that just pulled in front of you...right?

Tires are primarily responsible for all the following car functions.

1) Acceleration.
2) Turning.
3) Braking.

Moving to "better" tires improves all aspects of the above. Moving to bargain bin tires results in a performance loss of the above.

Tires are also responsible for...

1) Hydroplane resistance.
2) Wet/Snow/Dirt Traction
3) Ride Comfort
4) Ride Noise

The greatest modification anyone can ever do to their car, is purchasing a nice set of rims/tires that matches up with the performance profile of the vehicle. It'll save your life, your passengers life, and the lives of the people you would have struck.

I mean I guess you could just invest in "the lowest bidder" solutions...but I guess you could also drive without a seatbelt on too.

you kno what gets me, when they say a tire is rated at 80,000 miles....and it dont last that long.

like my mxv4 were i think a 60k tire....they lasted me 30k.

i dont know what tire to get
confused.gif

yokohama 80k touring tire
falken tire
bfg T/A

really confusing stuff...glad you guys are helping me.

i want something to last more than 3 years

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
you kno what gets me, when they say a tire is rated at 80,000 miles....and it dont last that long.

like my mxv4 were i think a 60k tire....they lasted me 30k.

i dont know what tire to get
confused.gif

yokohama 80k touring tire
falken tire
bfg T/A

really confusing stuff...glad you guys are helping me.

i want something to last more than 3 years

What tire size? If they are for the 300zx, you can't get the yokohama touring tire. They don't make it in that size.

Gee three years is a long time.

I've got about 9K mi on my 512s. I got them edgeracing.com

Discount Tire wanted an extra 10-15$ per tire (not to mention the tires were special order)...and then sales tax on that...turned out cheaper online.

ok i got some prices.

the yoko touring tire wont work on my car. something with the way my car is deisgned...we mounted and balanced and the car just screeched all over the road, they said its how my accord suspension is...so scratch that idea. but i did drive another car with it and it was fine, they claimed it was for like vans or suv's more.

so then i returned those...

got a price on bfg tractions for 82 each.

with road hazard and stuff it comes around to 480

thery also had some sumitomo tires for 66 a piece comming around to about 390 something or about so.

i think ill turn towards the bfg....wise?

quote:

I've had good luck with the Falken Ziex-512s as being a long wearing tire...the ST-115s might be more fun though...but I cannot complain with the 512s

I love my ZE512's, BUT...

Since installing them last year, I have driven 15k miles, mostly highway (car is not driven hard). Based on the amount of treadwear, I'd say the 30k mile treadlife warranty is accurate. Mine seem to be about 40-50% gone, and I'd expect the trad depth to be too low for my comfort after another 15k. Car is a '99 Grand Am GT, and it WAS aligned shortly after tires were installed.

HAving said that, they are great tires, and I cannot complain about 30k mile life for the price I paid ($74 each for 225/50R16s).

well i bought the bfg's.

wow....really wow....of course my old ones were shot but these tires i took a long turn at a high speed and all the car did was turn, my old ones even when new sucked....its cause michellen's mxv4 takes off the thread on the sides of the tire for a more comforting ride i think.

this bfg traction tire is really wide for a 205 60 15...and wow alot of grip on it....no noise in street turns or high speed...

today i was comming home, doing about 50...this lady in a huge van pops out in front of me, i slamm my breaks cause there was no where to turn...and wow...hahaha the rubbers just stopped the entire car like nothing, i remember on the mxv4's they took some time new or old...but wow alot of white smoke around me...but i was safe...

but really these tires rock...i went through a huge puddle of water and tried to loose control but it held its place.

on the freeway i did about 80..a little more road noise than the mxv4 but not much...very grippy...my car sticks to the road!

i shifted lanes really really fast....and all the car did was shift lanes, not as much body roll as before and none of that errrr! sounds...

in all so far, 30 miles, im pretty satisfied.

but gosh thats a wide tire =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back