Falce advertising on ebay.

So I purchased ( what I thought) this 10 CFM JB vacuum pump used on ebay and it arrived today as a 7 CFM JB pump.
I contacted the seller right away and he also replied right away that I probably burnt the 7 CFM and want a 10 CFM one for free.
I've only started using ebay a couple of weeks ago and this is my second purchase. I found it odd and unprofessional that the seller accused me right of the bat, I know what I ordered and what I received.
Just wanted to ask if people here have had similar experiences, the pump I got is similar to the one I was supposed to get and the price is decent. I'm not gonna use anymore energy to fight this or use EBAY again.
Screenshot_20220416-131943_eBay.jpg
20220416_130005.jpg

First picture is the one I thought I was getting, second picture is what I got.

In case the seller really did a bait and switch, look up the item on your Purchase History, not his current listing, and confirm if it was a 7 or a 10. If he sent you a lesser product and won't accept a return or give you a refund, the eBay satisfaction guarantee might apply. I've used eBay for 21 years and have rarely encountered a deadbeat seller.

Like I said I definitely got the wrong item, seller only had 1 vacuum pump listed for sale in his store so this was a clear bait and switch. The seller does not accept returns and looks like is a professional con artist, me being new to ebay took the bait, lesson learned, never using ebay ever again.
There is no way to prove to ebay that I got the wrong item, like I said he accused me right away that I probably burned the 7 CFM and trying to scam them. I guess it's his word against mine.
I'm not gonna fight this with them anymore, I believe in karma, just wanted to discuss it here.

Provide the evidence and kindly ask for apology and how to move forward. People are reactive sometimes but if kind and professional they might come around.

I would not presume bait and switch , it could have been an error.

I buy from eBay without hesitation, being you are new you may not know you are completely protected by eBay.
Yes you aren’t off to a great start but that can happen anyplace, no reason to get upset or in confrontational conversation with the seller let eBay handle it.
In well over a decade of using eBay it’s been extremely rare that I had to have them address an issue but when they did I never lost a penny on anything.

I find it odd that you do not want eBay to get a refund for you.

Last edited:
Provide the evidence and kindly ask for apology and how to move forward. People are reactive sometimes but if kind and professional they might come around.

I would not presume bait and switch , it could have been an error.
I did send the pictures of the the wrong unit I received, that's when he accused me of trying to return a burnt pump for credit.
It was also stated that those seller does not accept returns, maybe that a sign I should have paid attention to.

I did send the pictures of the the wrong unit I received, that's when he accused me of trying to return a burnt pump for credit.
It was also stated that those seller does not accept returns, maybe that a sign I should have paid attention to.
You can get a full refund, people are trying to help you here, contact eBay, simple stuff, you don’t need to do anything they will get your refund

File for a return, if they sent you the wrong item, eBay will make them take the return regardless of the sellers policy.
Yeah this. I am not a lawyer, but there's a situation called an "unfair contract." While normally it means a entity cannot write a contract that supercedes law, in this example it means a seller cannot create a contract in conflict with ebay's policies or those of your credit card/ paypal.

Also do not pay postage for the return, it's not your fault. Have the seller/ ebay generate a post-paid label.

If you roll over and take it without a fight the seller won't learn. But if you complain your demerit points, added with others, will affect him.

Every single time that I've purchased something off of eBay over the last few years I end up having fraudulent charges on my credit card account soon thereafter. Security on that website is a wet paper bag.

Every time I've been screwed on eBay (which has only been maybe 3 times max), eBay and PayPal both backed me up and took care of me 200%.

Thanks for the replies guys, the reasons for not returning it is because.
1. I need the pump, I do air conditioning for a living and use it almost daily.
2. The pump is in good shape and the price I got it for is decent for a 7 CFM and was looking at buying similar pumps, I just thought I was getting great deal for a 10 CFM.
I was just ticked off at the sellers way of doing business.

I was an eBay power seller. That means I had exceptional feedback and sold hundreds/thousands of items.

eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer. Even if the seller has emails, pictures, proof, eBay doesn’t care. They screwed me so many times, I had to stop selling. Most businesses work on a margin of 5-10%. eBay losses to fraudulent buyers completely ate up my profit= can’t sell there anymore.

Open a case with eBay. Super easy. Wrong item sent. They probably won’t even make you send the item back. At least that’s what they did to me. They let the fraudulent buyers keep my items AND refunded their money.

There are so many scam buyers on eBay… it’s very hostile for sellers. I can understand a seller getting irritated and thinking they are getting scammed, because it’s very common.

Every single time that I've purchased something off of eBay over the last few years I end up having fraudulent charges on my credit card account soon thereafter. Security on that website is a wet paper bag.
I always use PayPal. Never had an issue.

Like I said I definitely got the wrong item, seller only had 1 vacuum pump listed for sale in his store so this was a clear bait and switch. The seller does not accept returns and looks like is a professional con artist, me being new to ebay took the bait, lesson learned, never using ebay ever again.
There is no way to prove to ebay that I got the wrong item, like I said he accused me right away that I probably burned the 7 CFM and trying to scam them. I guess it's his word against mine.
I'm not gonna fight this with them anymore, I believe in karma, just wanted to discuss it here.
That's what scammers do, try to make things YOUR fault real quick. "Oh, if you didnt do this, oh if you didnt do that."

"Well I WANT MY MONEY BACK!"
Scammer: "Well, you sent it to me, so that's on you.. if you didn't send it to me, you'd still have it.."

Actually, I'm gonna send a text to one of the scammersthat got me right now. Just because. Not like it going to DO anything, but...

You mention the seller doesn't do returns but that's irrelevant in your scenario. You're not wanting to return it because you changed your mind, don't know how to work it, etc, etc (an issue on your end).

I realize this leaves a bad taste in your mouth about eBay, but this isn't eBay or isn't typical. Is eBay scam-free ? Of course not. Do they do hundreds of thousands of valid, satisfactory transactions every day ? Yeap. I'd still file a complaint with eBay and see how it goes.

Some thing that expensive I would have bought in person at a local business.

Im sure this eBay seller has done it before.

Back