Fake Pizza

It really wasn't anything to write home about. I cooked 1/2 of it in my air fryer.
The fake meat pieces were too tough, and the taste was so-so.

DSC_2079.JPG

Always good to try something, at least once. My daughter is allergic (not badly, thankfully) to dairy so I get to try some of her dairy free stuff (when she's not looking). I prefer the real deal when it comes to mac & cheese. :) Lately I've been enjoying Morningstar veggie sausage patties with my breakfast oatmeal and I rather like it.

But frozen pizza? Life's too short for that! Not only that but a good pizza can be enjoyed "naked", without meat. JMHO. My wife bakes a mean pizza...

I'd avoid the Daiya dairy-free mac & cheese, I didn't care much for it.

Why would you bother?
Why not? Some of that plant-based food is actually good.
I think it's Mother Earth brand makes some really good things like burritos and wheat-based fake sausage.
Field Roast is the brand I'm thinking of. Good stuff.

Always good to try something, at least once. My daughter is allergic (not badly, thankfully) to dairy so I get to try some of her dairy free stuff (when she's not looking). I prefer the real deal when it comes to mac & cheese. :) Lately I've been enjoying Morningstar veggie sausage patties with my breakfast oatmeal and I rather like it.

But frozen pizza? Life's too short for that! Not only that but a good pizza can be enjoyed "naked", without meat. JMHO. My wife bakes a mean pizza...

I'd avoid the Daiya dairy-free mac & cheese, I didn't care much for it.
I'd like an Annie's organic pizza, with just vegetables and no cheese.
But oftentimes you're better off dreaming up your own meals.

those are hit or miss in an air fryer.. to give it a real try.. use an actual oven and follow directions.

They are WAYYYY better than 10 years ago.. but still not quite good.
My air fryer does a great job at pizza.
It's really the only food I care to cook in the air fryer anymore.

I'm never satisfied with a frozen pizza, unless the crust is tolerable then it's just a platform to build on with more sauce, cheese and toppings.

I like a lot of sauce, and toppings like peppers and onions so it is easy for the pizza to be waterlogged, and to combat this, I'll put some dehydrated TVP faux meat crumbles on it dry, to hydrate from that moisture, but it still has to have real meat as a dominant flavor.

I'm never satisfied with a frozen pizza, unless the crust is tolerable then it's just a platform to build on with more sauce, cheese and toppings.

I like a lot of sauce, and toppings like peppers and onions so it is easy for the pizza to be waterlogged, and to combat this, I'll put some dehydrated TVP faux meat crumbles on it dry, to hydrate from that moisture, but it still has to have real meat as a dominant flavor.
I like Digornos but I can’t spell it!

I suppose people that are vegetarians or very allergic to various ingredients need to find good versions of this type of thing. Or, if you want to attempt to eat more environmentally sustainable, maybe? I noticed that if you ate this entire 19 ounce pizza (not huge), you would have consumed 128% of your daily salt intake. https://daiyafoods.com/our-foods/gluten-free-pizza/meatless-meat-lovers/

Times are changing! When I taught a college field course session last year and decided to provide pizza, I was informed that at least one of them would have to be a vegan pizza! Oh well. To each their own.

I went to a vegan soul food joint yesterday as a lunch/dinner break during my move but I tried something their - their “cheesesteak” sandwich. It was good - but it wasn’t in the traditional sense of a Philly-style one. A local vegan burger joint also uses Daiya and it works decently well in that use case

A friend who’s vegan had a pizza made with this stuff - it’s passable for what it is. I think Whole Foods also uses this in-house.

One vegan “dairy” product I’ve been impressed with - Miyoko’s butter. It worked well for baking, I’ve used for croissants for a vegan dinner party I was invited to.

these days, the line between dairy and vegan meat/dairy has been blurred. But I know many who won’t eat Impossible/Beyond Meat because it mimics animal flesh - which is why they are vegans for the ethical/moral reasons.

What I'd like is an organic whole wheat crust, or even white crust, with fresh tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, garlic, olives, and some grass fed ground beef. So just a basic pizza without much cheese, or with a little Pecorino Romano.

Back