Fake parts, part 1,000,000

No, the coils are not a problem on the Gen 1 Tundra, I never heard of the coils on the 2UZ-FE engine going bad. It is just about the most bulletproof engine Toyota ever built, it’s the same engine they used on the Land Cruiser during those model years. It must happen once in a while or Toyota would not make spare parts. It's not a maintenance item though. Granted one could go bad, and you replace that one no need to do all eight.

Toyota parts even the size of coils or larger come in sealed plastic bags with Toyota Logo and part number printed on each item. Sometimes they are not stocked loose but ship in a printed carton, but inside the carton there is still a sealed bag inside the carton. Last weekend I had to change my rusted out hood latch that seized up, it’s a steel part larger than a coil and weighs a few pounds, it still came in the sealed plastic bag with Toyota log and part number printed.

If you receive loose parts in a carton even a Toyota carton, not oil filters I am talking about repair parts, I would be wary.

As am I which is why I fully concur that "statistically" it would be virtually impossible for you to get so many "bad" units in a group and they "magically' healed themselves when the old parts were installed.

I do tend to believe you either got true 'counterfeit" parts or "polished" old failed parts sold as new.

However, real world actual experience over almost 5 decades has shown me that it is best to not to jump to conclusions ( even obvious ones) because weird things can and do happen.

I do subscribe and usually default to Occam's Razor but it is not an absolute.

Agree.

The photos posted look pretty good for counterfeits. Usually there is some telltale sign. So I have to wonder if these were “seeded” with marginal parts somehow. Frankly, even with counterfeits, Imfind the mortality rate to be somewhat surprising...

The Denso stamping and Toyota packaging sold me...something else going on here, maybe the parts were known to be a defective lot by the manufacturer and sold that way? that doesn't make a lot of sense either.

another possibility is that the 4.7 changed to VVTI in '05 maybe this part number changed with that.

Agree.

The photos posted look pretty good for counterfeits. Usually there is some telltale sign. So I have to wonder if these were “seeded” with marginal parts somehow. Frankly, even with counterfeits, Imfind the mortality rate to be somewhat surprising...

Granted its rare but centuries ago I had an issue with a dryer ( refrigerated dryer running Tanner gas system also)

Long story all troubleshooting indicated the hot gas bypass valve- we replaced it and nothing.

Did it again, nothing.

Called the OEM in and they concluded as we did- nothing

Short ending- the entire lot of those valves was defective from the supplier

So, it could be a case of a "bad" good part that somehow got through QA/QC or even was scheduled for destruction and got "gone" by surreptitious means for "sale".

Those of us in manufacturing realize that every company has rejects- the better companies just catch most of them ( emphasis on "most")

The other consideration is that to manufacture a "counterfeit" product ( and market it) requires facilities, people, vendors and a supply chain almost equal to the real thing- these things are not made by 2 guys in a basement on the weekend. That's a different animal and discussion.

Even the coils on my old Mustang are original. Not familiar with Toyota, but when I change spark plugs I "rebuild" the coil packs with the boot and spring kit.

No, the coils are not a problem on the Gen 1 Tundra, I never heard of the coils on the 2UZ-FE engine going bad. It is just about the most bulletproof engine Toyota ever built, it’s the same engine they used on the Land Cruiser during those model years. It must happen once in a while or Toyota would not make spare parts. It's not a maintenance item though. Granted one could go bad, and you replace that one no need to do all eight.

Toyota parts even the size of coils or larger come in sealed plastic bags with Toyota Logo and part number printed on each item. Sometimes they are not stocked loose but ship in a printed carton, but inside the carton there is still a sealed bag inside the carton. Last weekend I had to change my rusted out hood latch that seized up, it’s a steel part larger than a coil and weighs a few pounds, it still came in the sealed plastic bag with Toyota log and part number printed.

If you receive loose parts in a carton even a Toyota carton, not oil filters I am talking about repair parts, I would be wary.
These coils were used on numerous Toyota engines; millions have been installed and are probably still in service.
But some fail.

You may have hit the nail on the head with your sealed labeled bag comment.
Mine came in a cellophane bubble bag, unsealed, no part number (or label of any kind), 2 to a box.
As ABN pointed out, someone went to great pains to make them, if that's what they did.
I doubt they are used parts; they were in too perfect condition.

I have no idea if or how coils are tested at time of manufacture. One died in less than 1 month with very few miles. The other was intermittent at about 1,700 miles.
Maybe I shoulda bought a lottery ticket that day? FYI I have never bought one... Ha!
My take is, if it seems too good to be true....

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

IMG_20200909_064637.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a ton of Lexus parts from these guys, adjustable shocks, air springs, brake pads, on and on as I updated my GX, smooth sailing never a problem saved +50% on big ticket OEM parts.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts. Especially the possible ebay return!
Oh yeah, maybe I'll return the new Densos I bought... Sheesh.

Do more investigation and report the items as counterfeit. They should then not be returned to seller, and request a refund.

You may not be able to get a refund for the new Densos, as many electronics parts are non-returnable except in the case of defect.

Warranty? You aren't likely to get warranty coverage on gray market goods bought off a 3rd party on ebay (anywhere) instead of an authorized reseller.

I don't buy many Toyota parts so I could be wrong but that two to a box looks fishy, like something only a counterfeiter would do?

My prius shut itself down over a knockoff coil. It was cheap, and sold as unbranded. I think it was a catalytic converter saving thing. It did let me drive around a mile on battery power.

Wound up buying some purportedly low-mileage densos from a las vegas taxi fleet and never had another problem.

I carry a spare coil now, and recommend that everybody does, or at least every toyota owner. My 02 camry ate a few as well.

Our trusty 2001 Tundra was getting close to the 200K mark earlier this year. So I figured I would replace the 8 ignition coils; heck I don't put a nickel into this thing and I like dependable. Anyways, ebay had a set of genuine Toyota coils for about $300 or something like that. I asked the seller if they were really Toyota parts because Toyota coils are probably over $100 each at the dealer. He said yes. So I bit.

#5 failed in about a month; maybe 200 miles on it? #4 failed over the weekend; 1,700 miles. TBT, it never ran as smooth as it was before. And the 4.7 engine is a smoothie. I asked my friend The Critic what the chances were of a genuine Toyota failing in 1 month; he replied 1 in a bazillion or something like that.

So, if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.
By the way, the seller is no longer on ebay... He took my $$ and ran!
I put the originals back in and she's back to normal. I did order a set of Densos for about $53 each. Sheesh.
BView attachment 28900View attachment 28901View attachment 28902
That label looks fake to me. Usually the Toyota part number on coil boxes is aligned to the left, not centered. Same with the description field.

Look at this one:

You did good by going with just Denso. $53 each seems fair.

They did a good job making it all look authentic. The box whether it’s fake or just re-used as well as the p/n and labeling on the coils.

Maybe I missed it, but my question is did the original coils also say Toyota? I would’ve thought it would’ve just said Denso with the p/n.

Last edited:
Just my thoughts in no particular order.
1) Where did this "replace your spark coils" thing come from? With electronics on my planet there's infant mortality or the thing lasts forever.

Actually on some vehicles its in the maintenance manual for the vehicle.
I had a 2008 Durango 4.7 (GREAT engine) I forgot the interval but ignition coil replacement was in the owners manual maintenance schedule, I never did it and the engine had 147,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. (actually I never replaced any of the 16 spark plugs either but was getting close to doing it)

You did good by going with just Denso. $53 each seems fair.

They did a good job making it all look authentic. The box whether it’s fake or just re-used as well as the p/n and labeling on the coils.

Maybe I missed it, but my question is did the original coils also say Toyota? I would’ve thought it would’ve just said Denso with the p/n.
Yes; the coils were visually identical except for the hold down bushing.
If they are fakes, someone went to a lotta trouble.

Back