Fake Online Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got caught recently by the fake NGK plugs.

Most of the techniques on Youtube or online didn't work to identify them. And it was the weekend, so calling the manufacturer was out of question.

How I was able to determine was based on the welds to the center electrode. Genuine NGK plugs had very noticeable and consistent welding left-overs (I don't know the technical term) on both sides of the ground electrode that was welded on during the processing.

My fakes were completely inconsistent. And the ground electrode was *slightly* too long. And upon closer examination, the fake plugs lacked the precious metal tip, but had been shined up to make it appear as though one existed.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I've been duped by both Amazon and RockAuto with fake NGK plugs. I've been much more careful lately about ordering parts online.

I highly doubt you received fake NGK plugs from Rockauto. All of my Rockauto shipments have arrived from a parts authority warehouse, which is one of the largest aftermarket parts distributors in this industry. OTOH, amazon, that's a different story altogether.

The way I see it if local dealerships did not price gouge you at the parts counter for OEM parts, there would be no incentive to order parts online. There are lots of dealers selling OEM parts online too. I don't care who gets a cut or selling fees, that is between the seller and Amazon or eBay. Opinions vary on this. What irks me is there are some local dealers who also have an online presence and sell cheaper online than if you show up in person, like how Advance Auto Parts does business.

Originally Posted by wdn
The way I see it if local dealerships did not price gouge you at the parts counter for OEM parts, there would be no incentive to order parts online. There are lots of dealers selling OEM parts online too. I don't care who gets a cut or selling fees, that is between the seller and Amazon or eBay. Opinions vary on this. What irks me is there are some local dealers who also have an online presence and sell cheaper online than if you show up in person, like how Advance Auto Parts does business.

Well said. I once had to order a part from a dealer and they told me 24 dollars, online was 15 but I needed it the same day. I went to the dealership and it ended up being 18 dollars. I didn't want to pay 24 dollars when I could get it so much cheaper one but had no other option and then it didn't even end up being 24, that was list price. I called them to compare some other parts and they were 3 times as much as I found online from other dealers, now the price in person might have been cheaper but I didn't waste my time checking that.

This reminds me of the issue Walbro had not too long ago. Counterfeit pumps looked exactly like Walbro on the outside, but as soon as they were disassembled, the differences were shocking.

They're both fake?

I have seen fake parts where the bar code on the fake sticker does not encode the part number like it should. Late model smartphones usually have bar code reading built into the system camera app. Just turn on the camera and point it at the code.

Also it's not certain to buy from "dealers" on Amazon, they may not be an actual dealer, or they're stealing the name of a real dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
It is amazing how even counterfeit parts can make their way into dealer parts departments as well. There are numerous places who will sell "OEM" parts to dealers for less than our normal cost, but the parts are knock-offs. Some place do it to pad their bottom line. I flat out refuse.

The only time where we regularly carry a "non OEM" part is for our bulk 0W20 full synthetic. We participated in Mazda's bulk oil program through Castrol. So we carry the Castrol Edge OE 0W20 in bulk, but don't hide that. The customers also get a $20 rebate from Castrol.

Do you ever report them to Ford?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
It is amazing how even counterfeit parts can make their way into dealer parts departments as well. There are numerous places who will sell "OEM" parts to dealers for less than our normal cost, but the parts are knock-offs. Some place do it to pad their bottom line. I flat out refuse.

The only time where we regularly carry a "non OEM" part is for our bulk 0W20 full synthetic. We participated in Mazda's bulk oil program through Castrol. So we carry the Castrol Edge OE 0W20 in bulk, but don't hide that. The customers also get a $20 rebate from Castrol.

Do you ever report them to Ford?
smile.gif

The only place I have ever made a stink about is a dealer in the MidWest who seems to always show up on the parts locator as having every obsolete part in existence. But when you order it from them it is a junkyard part in their own box with no warranty and they want the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for them. They get blasted constantly among Ford dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back