Fake Honda 15400-PLM-A01? Or am I being paranoid?

First time posting, and as I've come to realize, I'm actually quite a noob when it comes to my knowledge of oil, and oil filters, so be gentle with me!

I'm about to change the oil on my 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 Sport. I know the A01 (Filtech) filter has been discontinued, but conventional wisdom was that it was better than the A02 (Honeywell), though digging around on this site, I see that might not actually be the case. I ended up ordering a pack of 5 A01's from an Amazon seller. After I got them, something just seemed "off" to me about the way the filters looked, particularly the white lettering printed on the filter itself. It just seemed rather "blurry." Before jumping to conclusions, my first step was to get online and see if I could find an actual Honda Dealership that was still selling A01's and order a couple. After they came in, I would compare to the filters I got off Amazon, and see what was up. Well, the dealership sent me a box of 15400-RTA-003 filters instead. Emailed the dealership, they assured me it was a mistake, and told me to send the 003's back, and they would ship out the A01's. I sent the package back, and now about a week later I got my replacement order......a box with 5 of the same 003 oil filters in it! *face palm*

BUT ANYWAY...Since my original plan of getting a few A01's from a dealership to compare my Amazon filters to, I'm here looking for help...

1. I had previously read that there were a few things to look for on A01 filters...
- PLM printed on the top of the filter
- the diamond stamped on the bottom of the filter
- obviously the Filtech logo printed on the filter

So I decided to snap some pics to post here, and I noticed some even more odd things about the filters while I was snapping the pics.

first and foremost, the bag they were shipped in
[Linked Image]

secondly, the 5 filters, sealed, with their Honda part sticker...so far so good looking...
[Linked Image]

third, they all have PLM on top of the filter, Filtech, sticker, same batch number "8A15" maybe(?), etc...the pictures don't seem to do the "blurry" lettering justice
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

next, is where I found things got interesting...the diamond stamp...they don't match. I've read it is supposed to be a diamond with dots.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

two totally different looking stamps...one has dots, the other doesn't. The one without the dots, is also not stamped straight, while the one with dots is lined up straight with the holes...

In the package, I got 2 filters with the diamond + dots...and 3 filters have the crooked diamond with no dots...are these normal production variations on the filters? Or is something wrong here? Am I paranoid, or did I actually get some counterfeit Honda filters?

last thing...from what I've been able to gather, the 15400-RTA-003 is an equal part to the A01, meaning, if my car uses the A01, the 003 should also fit. Is that correct? If so, is it a decent filter to use? I'm going to be using Amsoil Signature Series oil during the oil change, is there a better filter to use than the OEM Honda filter? I'm not really concerned with how much the filter costs, because I don't put many miles on my car, and I'll only be changing the oil once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance a whole bunch for your help!

Aren't those made by Fram? Any counterfeit filter would probably be better quality
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
Aren't those made by Fram? Any counterfeit filter would probably be better quality
grin2.gif

A01 = Filtech Toyo Roki
A02 = Honeywell (Fram)
003 = Mahle Tennex

If you have a filter that you know is right, compare weights.

I received some counterfeit Hyundai filters once and the weights where not comparable.

A01 = Filtech Toyo Roki
A02 = Honeywell Rank Grp. Fram
003 = Mahle Tennex
FTFY

Can't help you with whether A01 you received are definitively "counterfeit" or authentic. I'd say if a major concern cutting open one that you suspect "fake" would give a better indication.

As your post would seem indicate A01 getting harder to find. H&A Accessories used to carry them now gone to the Fram made A02. Ime, most dealers also carry the A02.

As for A03, anecdotes seen less often here, but does 'appear' to be replacing the A01 in real life. Equivalent to A01? In my observation, seems to have characteristics of both A01 and A02. Like A02's fiber endcaps, bypass design closer to A01. Personally I like the A03 construction over the A02. That said, I only use Honda labeled filters when I've had the very rare dealer oil&filter change, or the factory A01. Information and one oft noted data point would indicate Honda OFs not designed to be very efficient.

Below are two link to dissected A03, the first a post use, second unused.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3751924/Honda_OEM_Factory_Oil_Filter,_

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4724576/New_Honda_Oil_Filter_15400-RTA

If you really want an A01 and can't find a real one order some HAMP from DC Autoparts on Amazon, be prepared to pay but it is an A01 by another name.

Filtech was Toyo Roki USA, and no longer exist. It is now ROKI USA.

See: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...the-roki-family-a-quick-look#Post4683422

Current A02 are USA made by Fram and do not have the H on the top of the can.

I'll go give a few of my A01's a better look, but neither the paint nor the diamond stamp look right to me.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
So is there any quality issue with the A02? I am using it right now

No. Similar to a Fram TG.

The A02 is most similar to a TG7317, the A02 has a metal seam clamp that the TG does not have. The PH7317 has fewer pleats. Jay has said the media is not the same A02/TG.

After looking at my A01s, I wouldn't swear your A01 are not the real thing. The one with a light stamp on the diamond is most suspect. The dots seem to mean something, I've seen various configurations of them.

Apologies that these pictures are not my best work, but here we go. This filter came from a Honda Dealer same as all my A01, Probably H&A.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comparison of A01 and older HAMP

[Linked Image]

Note that I have newer HAMP shorties that exhibit the "ROKI" mark and etched date codes. These also have a "6" instead of a triangle and came in a Honda case box with the HAMP label on it.

Additionally you may find these threads of interest.

HAMP H1540-PFB-525 (ROKI USA) - Virgin

Honda 15400-PLM-A02 (Fram) - Virgin

Honda 15400-PLM-A01 (FilTech) ~ 8948Mi

Honda 15400-RTA-003 (Mahle Tennex) - Virgin

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Don't overthink it. If you're using Amsoil, why not use a Fram Ultra 7317 for two OC intervals? For single intervals Denso filters are $3.68 plus shipping at www.carid.com.

I ordered a few 7317 Ultras last, and I think I'm just going to bypass any kind of apprehension with the A01's, and the annoyance at the dealership for sending me 2 sets of 003's and just go with a filter that is clearly better than the two Honda options anyway...

Side note, I find it weird that Fram uses an XG for the part number for the Ultra filters when they have an "Extra Guard" Line

Those filter pics and packaging make me think some of them may be copy cats. The 001 has a spring loading bypass whereas the 002 doesn't. Well, at least they used to be that way.

If I had kept my Hondas, I would have gone with the HAMPs as DuckRyder mentioned in earlier post.

I have a genuine Honda 15400-PLM-A01PE for my Kamasaki Mower and it has the Diamond with the 3 dots and the PLM.

I hope I am not misspeaking, but if you don't care how much the filter costs (I am with you here), why wouldn't you use an Amsoil Filter with your Amsoil oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Metfanant
Side note, I find it weird that Fram uses an XG for the part number for the Ultra filters when they have an "Extra Guard" Line
The Ultra was previously known as the "Xtended Guard". You can still find them in stores sometimes.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
The Ultra was previously known as the "Xtended Guard". You can still find them in stores sometimes.

Makes sense now!

Originally Posted by Gebo
Those filter pics and packaging make me think some of them may be copy cats. The 001 has a spring loading bypass whereas the 002 doesn't. Well, at least they used to be that way.

If I had kept my Hondas, I would have gone with the HAMPs as DuckRyder mentioned in earlier post.

I have a genuine Honda 15400-PLM-A01PE for my Kamasaki Mower and it has the Diamond with the 3 dots and the PLM.

I hope I am not misspeaking, but if you don't care how much the filter costs (I am with you here), why wouldn't you use an Amsoil Filter with your Amsoil oil?

Yes, I'm almost of the feeling 2 of them are real, but the other 3 idk...

Would you go with HAMP over something like a Fram Ultra? And no, you're not misspeaking...like I mentioned, I'm just kinda heading down the rabbit hole that is oil and oil filters. I've always been somewhat of an OEM guy, have always used motorcraft fl1a's on my 5 liter Mustang, always just kinda used a somewhat reputable brand name for my daily drivers...

So, when I ordered my case of amsoil for my new Accord Sport, I just figured I'd go with the Honda OEM filters because people in the community swear by the A01...though I'm actually seeing from reading around on here that while it may seem to be constructed better than the A02, it doesn't seem to be a particularly great performing filter...

I have no problem paying for the amsoil filter if it's worth it over the Fram Ultra, I'll order a few amsoil filters next time I need oil since I get 25% off and free shipping over $100

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Makes sense now!

Yep ... snip-it of the old Xtended Guard which is now called the Ultra. Fram just kept the "XG" model designation.

Fram Xtended Guaurd (now the Ultra).JPG

Just run whatever your Honda dealer has, It'll be fine.

I've currently got 2 Hamps in service (a long one and a short one) and had my choice of TG/XG/HAMP/A01/A02 for whatever that is worth.

Back