Failure is not an Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram and everyone else's filter quality seems to be quite a bit better than Purolator's right now. Hard to refute the data and facts of dozen of reported Purolator tears on this board alone.

Purolator should operate per their own mantra of "failure is not an option".

"So how does one choose a quality oil filter and avoid all of these “what ifs?”

Choose a filter from a reputable manufacturer and do a little homework on the factors that matter most,” advised Purolator’s Nuñez. According to him, the three most important factors to consider are efficiency, capacity, and reliability."

Originally Posted By: route66mike
I'm not buying Fram Ultra cartridges until they start attaching their media to the end plates better. Fram came(has always been) down a notch with that discovery. Wix is high(est) on the list now. Purolator has been sent to bed without any supper.

Fixed. And no, I'm not a "Fram hater."
45.gif

^^^ The Ultra surpasses any WIX made in terms of performance.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

And that's why they are more expensive and are also failing? Purolator looks good on paper too.

Originally Posted By: tony1679

And that's why they are more expensive and are also failing? Purolator looks good on paper too.

Show me where Ultra spin-ons are failing by the dozens. The Ultra is cheaper than the WIX XP ... which is supposed to be in the same class as the Ultra (full synthetic, wire backed media for long OCI use). Only problem with the WIX XP is that its efficiency is horrible (50% @ 20 microns).

Show me where Ultra spin-ons are failing by the dozens. The Ultra is cheaper than the WIX XP ... which is supposed to be in the same class as the Ultra (full synthetic, wire backed media for long OCI use). Only problem with the WIX XP is that its efficiency is horrible (50% @ 20 microns).
Maybe the Ultra gos into bypass 50% more then the XP.

Originally Posted By: steveh

Nope, as verified by Motorking (and talked about in a couple of past threads), the Ultra has a better Flow vs PSID curve than a PureOne (both for same application), and the PureOne wouldn't go into bypass even when flowing 12 GPM.

Link: PureOne Flow vs PSID Date

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: nobb
I think right now Fram is more respected than Purolator.

Respect???

I would save my respect for more serious matters.

I'd be careful with that koolaid, too.

It can cause you to lose all credibility.
Flavor Aid

Jim_Jones

Last edited:
I never said they were failing by the dozens. But there are some failures. And I definitely was not referring to the xp, I agree that it sucks when it comes to efficiency. I am talking about standard Wix filters. They are cheaper. I will agree Ultras are more efficient than the standard Wix, but Ultras are useless if you don't extend your ocis.

I never said they were failing by the dozens. But there are some failures. And I definitely was not referring to the xp, I agree that it sucks when it comes to efficiency. I am talking about standard Wix filters. They are cheaper. I will agree Ultras are more efficient than the standard Wix, but Ultras are useless if you don't extend your ocis.

They aren't useless if you want a filter that is 99% @ 20 microns and flows well - regardless of how long someone keeps it on the engine. Some people want a high efficiency oil filter, and there aren't that many to choose from. The only other filter that has that kind of efficiency is the PureOne, and many people have dropped it like a hot potato due to the media failure issue.

2 reported failures of an Ultra cartridge filter doesn't say anything about the reliability of the spin-ons, and it doesn't prove that there is a trend on those that are failing. When dozens of reports come in, then we can assume there is a major problem going on with the cartridge Ultras.

They aren't useless if you want a filter that is 99% @ 20 microns and flows well - regardless of how long someone keeps it on the engine. Some people want a high efficiency oil filter, and there aren't that many to choose from. The only other filter that has that kind of efficiency is the PureOne, and many people have dropped it like a hot potato due to the media failure issue.

2 reported failures of an Ultra cartridge filter doesn't say anything about the reliability of the spin-ons, and it doesn't prove that there is a trend on those that are failing. When dozens of reports come in, then we can assume there is a major problem going on with the cartridge Ultras.
I only disagree with one part of this. If I do 5k ocis, why would I buy a filter rated for far longer? That's why I say it's useless (for me). I do want high efficiency. I used to use PureOnes exclusively. Not anymore. And I still have a grudge with TGs from a few years ago. So now the next best thing (that isn't a waste) is a Wix.

If I was doing 5K or 6K OCIs, then I'd leave an Ultra on for 2 OCIs. That's what I'm currently doing on a V6 Altima - 2K more miles and I'll be cutting the filter for inspection. Don't expect anything surprising. Also makes the "filter cost" half as much per OCI if doing 2x OCIs with one filter (BOF magnet - LOL).

I do agree that the WIX/NAPA Gold at 95% @ 20u isn't bad, and have used plenty of them in the past myself. I've also used a lot of PureOnes because of the high efficiency and they flow way better than the ol' wives rumor on the 'net. Since the PureOne is "out", I guess the Ultra is "in" for me.
whistle.gif

If I was doing 5K or 6K OCIs, then I'd leave an Ultra on for 2 OCIs. That's what I'm currently doing on a V6 Altima - 2K more miles and I'll be cutting the filter for inspection. Don't expect anything surprising. Also makes the "filter cost" half as much per OCI if doing 2x OCIs with one filter (BOF magnet - LOL).

I do agree that the WIX/NAPA Gold at 95% @ 20u isn't bad, and have used plenty of them in the past myself. I've also used a lot of PureOnes because of the high efficiency and they flow way better than the ol' wives rumor on the 'net. Since the PureOne is "out", I guess the Ultra is "in" for me.
whistle.gif

Agreed. But I never liked not changing the filter each time. It's that much more old oil that stays in the sump. $9 for a two term Ultra, or $5 for a Wix that I can change every time...

^^^ 90% of all threads are re-runs ... nature of a chat board, or is that "chat bored".
grin.gif

whistle.gif

Agreed. But I never liked not changing the filter each time. It's that much more old oil that stays in the sump. $9 for a two term Ultra, or $5 for a Wix that I can change every time...

No proof that it is negative in any way. Honda and some other manufactures recommend it in their normal service schedules. It's not for everyone obviously.

Originally Posted By: steveh

Nope, as verified by Motorking (and talked about in a couple of past threads), the Ultra has a better Flow vs PSID curve than a PureOne (both for same application), and the PureOne wouldn't go into bypass even when flowing 12 GPM.

Link: PureOne Flow vs PSID Date
Motormouth is a sales manager for Fram. He will tell you everything you want to hear. The guy could sell you a Purolator for $20 in less then a minute.

^^^ LOL, he's the Technical Training Director ... not a sales manager. The Ultra pretty much "sales itself" based on it's technical performance specifications.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Same chicken on the same june bug.....

Allright Foghorn, remember thousands of internet humanoids may visit this cite for actual info.
Foghorn_Leghorn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back