Failed Trip To Get Beef Liver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef liver is one of the best sources of bioavailable copper, something a lot of people are deficient in. After eating it once a week for a few weeks I felt more balanced.
I make liver paté and freeze it in 4 ounce servings and eat one per week. It's not bad at all once you develop a taste for it plus the nutritional benefits are amazing.
My dad used to love liverwurst sandwiches and I didn't like it when I was a kid but I've developed a taste for many of the foods he loved back in the 60s and 70s when he was in his 40s and 50s. We'd go fishing and dad would give me one of his sandwiches, which was liverwurst on rye bread with mustard, raw onion, with horseradish. I'd eat that or stay hungry. I'm sure Dad would love, or at least like my paté. He's been gone for 42 years.

Please don't take my comment, or anyone else's seriously. But that dead turkey deal is weird...
I agree.
I would have rather focused on the dead turkey issue rather than how many of you like liver or not. :)

If I had said I went up there to buy 2 dozen free range eggs I think the replies would have been more about the dead turkey than the free range eggs.

I eat real food.
I go for nutritious food and what the food does for my overall well being, not my taste buds.
Now I'm wishing I hadn't made this post.
Don't take what others say personally. "Sounds disgusting" and "my wife thought it was terrible. I eat anything and I even thought it was pretty bad." were the first two comments I got after posting about cauliflower gnocchi. You need a thick skin here, not unlike that of the liver you cook. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/cauliflower-gnocchi.353936/

Beef liver is one of the best sources of bioavailable copper, something a lot of people are deficient in. After eating it once a week for a few weeks I felt more balanced.
I make liver paté and freeze it in 4 ounce servings and eat one per week. It's not bad at all once you develop a taste for it plus the nutritional benefits are amazing.
My dad used to love liverwurst sandwiches and I didn't like it when I was a kid but I've developed a taste for many of the foods he loved back in the 60s and 70s when he was in his 40s and 50s. We'd go fishing and dad would give me one of his sandwiches, which was liverwurst on rye bread with mustard, raw onion, with horseradish. I'd eat that or stay hungry. I'm sure Dad would love, or at least like my paté. He's been gone for 42 years.
+1 for liverwurst sandwiches

I agree.
I would have rather focused on the dead turkey issue rather than how many of you like liver or not. :)

If I had said I went up there to buy 2 dozen free range eggs I think the replies would have been more about the dead turkey than the free range eggs.
Your reaction to the dead turkey is what piqued my interest the most. I love liver!

"When I got there, there was a big ole dead turkey sitting right on top of the freezer, on top of another smaller cooler. Good grief!! Amazing.
I guess I'll find my beef liver somewhere else. I'm actually a tad ticked off about traveling 34 miles round trip to see a dead turkey on top of the freezer, and he didn't mention it to me beforehand. I thought it was a joke at first, now I just don't think the dude thinks anything of handling dead animals (and leave them sitting around in 80*+ temperatures). There were animal skeletons and tubs filled with green, foul water all over the place. That's not a nice thing to be around. I don't think I could eat any meat from him again after seeing what I saw up there today.
I'm not even going to call him again. I'm beyond words."

A dead turkey on top of a cooler that was sitting on top of the freezer. Really? Many people seem disconnected where meat comes from - once living, cute, Disney personality animals that are electrocuted/gassed/skull crushed/shot/throat slashed, then bled out, gutted, skinned, butchered, and then finally placed in a nice, clean cellophane wrapped white package. Hunters, fishers, and farmers know the reality of meat processing. Not pretty at all.

You make a ton of assumptions about what the dead turkey was about. Maybe it was literally there a few minutes before he was planning to process it?

Do you think you could ever eat meat again if you visited a slaughter house? They are not " a nice thing to be around" either. It just seems hypocritical to me that people are o.k. eating meat as long as they can tuck the reality of the farm to table aspect out of their mind.

Not attacking or judging you personally. It's the cellophane wrapped world we live in now. Be very mindful if you decide to ever participate in a hospital delivery room experience!

Last edited:
I think a lot of us are like," hey, whatever you like is fine, we got no problem with that" but many of us Gen X folks had boomer parents (and depression era grandparents) that ate liver and onions- and no amount of ketchup would help, that and we were like, no way that is what poor people eat. Whether it is or not we eat steak. I don't know. Mental health is more important; do what you like...

You make a ton of assumptions about what the dead turkey was about.

No I didn't. I don't care what the dead turkey was about, I only knew I wasn't going to handle it so I left, and something tells me to not bother dealing with him again. I have other good sources of grass fed beef liver. Even supermarket liver would be suitable. I can get good excellent GFBL at the farmers market, it costs more but it's very good quality. This guy was going to sell me 3 pounds of it for $6. Next week he'll be in my city and I could meet him at the store he goes to if I wanted to but I'm not going to bother trying to hook up with him again. I tried today and failed and there will be no next time. Like I said, I made up my mind not to buy from him again. I've seen all the dead turkeys, skeletons, and green water I ever want to see again. Consumers don't want to see that stuff.

I know meat processing houses are a bad scene. I eat liver for copper. It does me good. I no longer eat muscle meats, or very rarely.
I often eat are eggs, fish, shellfish, beans, nuts, etc.
When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s there was a old Chevy tank truck we called "the slaughter truck" that carried slaughterhouse blood to the sewage treatment plant down the hill and it stunk like you wouldn't believe. It dripped onto the street and we usually ran away while holding our noses when it went by.

organ meats ARE the most nutrient dense meats BUT not EZE to find especially from pasteured + grass fed . i eat better mostly but not liver from my younger finicky days. You are what YOU eat so eat healthy + be HEALTHY + dont believe mainstream recommendations that many nutritional experts note comes from the $$$$ NOT your health. by eating better + only twice a day, NO SNACKS my less than optimal blood tests ALL improved + BP dropped close to my younger days of 128-64 + very pleased with an A1C of 5.3 for the first time tested after reading about its beneficial info compared to the almost useless fasting glucose

Last edited:
Ostrich...looked up reverse images.
Beat me to it...

OP - I think the thing to do would have been to chat him up, feel out his methods, procedures and standards. Maybe what you witnessed wasn't related to his processing? The turkey could have been an accident.. I also wonder how real the risk of contamination is? The freezer was (obviously) closed and it's contents would have been probably double wrapped too.

Granted my standards for that sort of thing aren't what others are, I probably would have grabbed my food and been on my merry way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back