failed tie rod ends on an 06 Chevy Uplander w/42k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was replacing the brakes on my brother's 2006 Uplander and noticed both outer tie rod ends were shot. the right side had almost 1/2" of play!!!! at only 42k miles! that is a disgrace! I really wish they would put zerk fittings on steering and suspension components! "lifetime" my tail!!!

and considering he was headed out on a long family vacation, he was very glad I noticed!!!!

IMHO this is not a matter of whether it comes with zerk fittings or not but more of a poor quality control/manufacturing.

Q.

you are certainly correct, as I have numerous "sealed" parts in other vehicles and have NEVER replaced a tie rod end or ball joint - and I run my cars/trucks 120-200k miles.

so yes, the chevy parts are junk - perhaps even from .... china? regardless, if they had zerk fittins, at least we could grease the junk parts!!!

pretty sad tho... as a failure in a steering or suspension component can be very hazardous !!!

My Santa Fe has no Zerk fittings and it is at 200K KM (120K Miles). No problems at all. Just checked it all out when I was under it last.

Depresingly enough this more common on some newer GM's. They seem to have gone really cheap on front end parts for the past couple of years, we're seeing issues on carry-over models that didn't have issues on earlier models.

we had a 2005 chrysler 300c. within 60 000kms we changed both front tie rods 3 times. It was clunking like [censored] on the highway until I realized it was the tie rods that were shots.

Call this cheap parts or worst design.

My Subaru has developed very slight play somewhere in the front end, after about 130000 miles. GM needs a shot... in the head, not in the arm.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Depresingly enough this more common on some newer GM's. They seem to have gone really cheap on front end parts for the past couple of years, we're seeing issues on carry-over models that didn't have issues on earlier models.

Working as a GM parts guy for 13 years, I can agree with this.
And its not just the front end parts they went cheap on, its the whole car!

Originally Posted By: rat

Careful now you might get flamed by the beloved GM guys on here...
smirk2.gif

IMO they learned from the "printer" industry, they sell you the product cheap, and make money on service/parts (repair/ink)

Meet the new GM,
Same as the old GM

John

It must be a problem with the newer GM vehicles. I have 132k+ on the original tie rod ends on my '96 Saturn. And yes, it's a lubed-for-life tie rod end.

Having vehicles with large, heavy off-road tires, I might suggest that the bigger issue is higher levels of unsprung weight due to bigger rotors, calipers, as well as these huge wheels and tires that we see these days.

These things definitely cause added wear of suspension parts.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I was replacing the brakes on my brother's 2006 Uplander and noticed both outer tie rod ends were shot. the right side had almost 1/2" of play!!!! at only 42k miles! that is a disgrace! I really wish they would put zerk fittings on steering and suspension components! "lifetime" my tail!!!

and considering he was headed out on a long family vacation, he was very glad I noticed!!!!

I would tend to agree it is the parts and not necessarily the lack of a grease zerk. Personally, I would like to have grease zerks but with 161,000 miles on the F150 without having to replace a sealed tie rod end, I can't complain.

My O4 Accord needed both inner tie rod ends at about 120,000.

1/2 inch of play at the joint or at the tire tread? My guess is at the tire tread. Regardless, with that much slop I would think it should have been obvious to the driver something was wrong. Of course maybe I'm just more in tune and pay attention to any strange noise or feedback through the steering wheel when turning or entering/exiting raised driveways. I am a member of the board after all so I must be anal about my cars...
LOL.gif

My Buick needs major front end work (bushings, struts, etc) after only 40,000 miles. Granted it is 8 years old, but still.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It must be a problem with the newer GM vehicles. I have 132k+ on the original tie rod ends on my '96 Saturn. And yes, it's a lubed-for-life tie rod end.

Someone in another thread mentioned the maker of these parts; it was a name I didn't recognize and when I Googled it I came up empty. But yes, its a recent phenomenon. And replacement is complicated because the threaded portions kind of get pitted and resemble pot metal.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
They weren't selling disposable printers with $50 ink cartridges back then, so GM hadn't learned this as of yet and later followed the printer industry!
LOL.gif

I sold my 1997 Monte Carlo with 194K miles and I don't think I ever replaced either tie rod end. My 2006 Monte, on the other hand, needed a new one on the driver side at 16K, which was pretty annoying. Since then it hasn't been an issue, though. It's at 41K now.

I'd agree that the overall build quality of the 2006 is less than that of the 1997. I'd still buy a GM before I bought anything that started with an "H" though, bad tie rod ends or not.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back