Factory lug nuts with aftermarket wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I'd really like to have a summer and winter set of wheels and tires for my 2016 Forester. I can get a new set of 225/60-17 tires mounted on nice aftermarket 17" 5x100 aluminum wheels shipped to my door for ~$700-860 depending if I want TPMS sensors or not. This also includes Discount Tire Direct's 'mandatory' $45 Lug hardware kit'. My question is, do I need a new set of lug nuts? They look to be standard cone-seat nuts just like OEM?

I would. The aftermarket wheels may have a lug hole smaller in diameter than your OEM wheels. This would make your stock lug wrench useless. So be sure to obtain a thin-sided, deep set socket and long handle socket wrench as well.

I believe that you need a new set of lug nuts to accommodate the new aftermarket wheels as the aftermarket wheels typically have smaller lug holes in them and the OE lug nuts are too large in diameter to fit in the holes.

Yeah, Subaru lug nuts have the same seat dimensions as aftermarket.

I would ditch the mandatory kit and just purchase an internal spline lug kit which fits perfectly in the narrow lug holes of my aftermarket wheels that I bought for our Forester. For reference, the wheel make and model is Drag DR31 in 17x7 +48mm offset.

Thanks. It makes sense. It's just that the OEM nuts are tiny buggers as is. Not sure which route to go. Been watching CL for wheels. New cheaper tires alone will run me close to $500 all in locally.

As long as they are the correct style lug nuts, sure. Yeah, that's a vague statement, because we have no idea what style the new wheels are.

I'd stick to what DT is sending you - granted it might be Chinesium, but the aftermarket wheels might have smaller lug drillings(but the same stud diameter and wheel nut chamfer/flare). You can probably get a nicer set of McGard lug nuts once you find out.

Make sure you install the hub centering ring if the wheels or hardware kit has them - Subaru uses stud-piloted wheels but aftermarket wheels are mostly a one-size-fits-all approach.

Exactly nthach, some people have out of balance issues with tire/wheel combinations that are actually off center.
The correct hub centering ring will eliminate that possibility, as bolt holes may not center the wheels.

Then don't buy wheels with "tuner" style lug holes.

Many of the aftermarket wheels will use a cone seat, versus a ball-seat that is more typical for automakers. That's another thing to look out for.

On either DTD or TR, I don't see anything about hub centering rings associated with 17" 5x100 aftermarket wheels for late model Foresters. I just assumed they centered based on the cone seat lug nuts? As you can tell, I've never owned anything with universal fit A/M wheels. Nice looking aluminum wheels are barely $20 more each than black painted steelies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back