Factory Kubota oil filter cut open

Factory filter off my 2015 Kubota L4701. Filter was 6 years old and 125hrs. Looked pretty good to me. Can was by far the heaviest I've seen on an engine oil filter. I replaced with a OEM filter and 15w-40 Delvac. I also included a couple pictures of the HST filter that I attempted to cut open.. My cutter wouldn't touch it, and I also failed with an air hammer/chisel.. Made me feel a little better about its $65 replacement..

Attachments

• IMG_3392.jpg
    IMG_3392.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 95
  • hst 1.jpg
    hst 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 98
  • hst 2.jpg
    hst 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 95
$65 ... :oops: No wonder it was left on for 6 years. Looks good, so being on the engine for 6 years wasn't a bad thing to do in this case.

$65 ... :oops: No wonder it was left on for 6 years. Looks good, so being on the engine for 6 years wasn't a bad thing to do in this case.

I should have noted the OEM oil filter was $12, it was that HST filter that was $65. They were both supposed to be changed out at 50hrs, but previous owner didn't do any of the suggested maintenance..

Trans filters are expensive . That filter looks like most other manufactures choice of filters.

I was close to buying our home’s PO’s Kubota. Same situation. Well over the 50 hours and still had those blue factory filters.

Should be something like 50 hours for break in then every 400 hours after that. 125 isn't too unreasonable.

The HST filter has a machined baseplate, hence the extra cost. Lots of pressure going through there. Definitely stick with Kubota.. don’t go aftermarket on that.

I was close to buying our home’s PO’s Kubota. Same situation. Well over the 50 hours and still had those blue factory filters.

Should be something like 50 hours for break in then every 400 hours after that. 125 isn't too unreasonable.

The HST filter has a machined baseplate, hence the extra cost. Lots of pressure going through there. Definitely stick with Kubota.. don’t go aftermarket on that.

Yeah I don't think 125hrs was long enough to hurt anything. The only other filters I looked at were Baldwin, which I'm sure would be fine, but was only going to be around $15-20 cheaper than the kubota filters.

The change interval's on the filters is 50hrs for engine oil/filter, and HST filter only. Then the HST filter only again at 200hrs, then engine oil/filter, HST filter, other hydraulic filter and hydraulic oil at 400hrs. At my rate of usage I think I may just change all the filters and fluid at 10yrs.. That seems like long enough even though kubota doesn't spec a time change interval.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think 125hrs was long enough to hurt anything. The only other filters I looked at were Baldwin, which I'm sure would be fine, but was only going to be around $15-20 cheaper than the kubota filters.

The change interval's on the filters is 50hrs for engine oil/filter, and HST filter only. Then the HST filter only again at 200hrs, then engine oil/filter, HST filter, other hydraulic filter and hydraulic oil at 400hrs. At my rate of usage I think I may just change all the filters and fluid at 10yrs.. That seems like long enough even though kubota doesn't spec a time change interval.
Supposedly there was a guy on a Kubota L Facebook page that had a WIX HST filter blow off and take out his knee. His wife was running the tractor and it somehow shot off and hit him. I’m not sure if he was then sprayed with 2000 psi of hot hydraulic oil after the fact, but I’m sure it wasn’t pretty.

On a side note, shouldn’t the hydraulic filter have also been changed out at 50?

Supposedly there was a guy on a Kubota L Facebook page that had a WIX HST filter blow off and take out his knee. His wife was running the tractor and it somehow shot off and hit him. I’m not sure if he was then sprayed with 2000 psi of hot hydraulic oil after the fact, but I’m sure it wasn’t pretty.

On a side note, shouldn’t the hydraulic filter have also been changed out at 50?

Yeah I didn't read great things about the WIX HST filters either..

Not according to the owners manual. It says to run that one hydraulic filter and the fluid itself to 400 hrs before changing. My understanding is that the filter you leave is more of a 'rock catcher' while the HST filter is for fine particles. Also you loose a few of gallons of fluid when you remove the normal hydraulic filter vs 1qt with the HST.

Page 62/63 are the service intervals.

Canada must be different than the US. Odd.

Guys will do the shop vac trick when removing the hydraulic filter. Put it in the fill hole and it’ll keep oil from pouring out.

Back