Factory installed "Toilet Paper" trans oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea until tonight:

Ford 3C3Z-7B155-BA Transmission Filter

Used with the 5R110 transmission

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FILTER-5R110-IN-LINE-03-07-TOILET-PAPER-CARTRIDGE/122034278293
https://www.xtremediesel.com/ford-3c3z-7b155-ba-transmission-filter

toilet paper.jpg

Yes. Made by NTZ filters in New Zealand, I think? You can see the logo toward the bottom.

Common observation was the roll would come out pitch black, while the fluid was still cherry red. It did it's job. NTZ filters are true sub micron bypass filters.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

Common observation was the roll would come out pitch black, while the fluid was still cherry red. It did it's job. NTZ filters are true sub micron bypass filters.

NICE!!!

Originally Posted by meadows
Are these full flow filters?

Probably depends on what you want to use it on. Engine oil....NO! Transmission cooler line....maybe.

That looks like it's about the size of a paper towel roll--is that correct? If so, I wonder how well it would work in my GCF O-1?

Back in the late 1960's, the original designer of the Racor fuel filter, Wendel Rogers, used a roll of paper towels in his filters.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Yes. Made by NTZ filters in New Zealand, I think? You can see the logo toward the bottom.

Actually, they are made in Holland... and NTZ was bought by NTF - a US Co.

They are typically 2 micron, and cannot be used as a full-flow transmission filter. Only in Bypass arrangement.

Trying to post a copy of their pdf...

Their filter housing, ATF-09 can easily be used on any A/T... you plumb between the line out to the cooler and the line back from the cooler. To the extent that this minor, minor bypass flow lessens your ATF cooling, you can easily add-in, say, a Tru-Cool stacked plate aux. cooler in front of the rad. You plumb that AFTER the in-radiator ATF tank cooler. The most elegant installations plumb-in shut-off and bypass valves for the aux. cooler, so you can shunt around it for wintertime operation (if there is NOT a thermostat present inside the A/T that prevents over-cooling from occurring). Having said this, I still like shunting the aux. ATF cooler for wintertime.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 30
Last edited:
Yes, not full flow. The housing they we're installed in on Ford trannies allowed a bypass from one side of the flow into the other.

It's not the size of a toilet paper roll, either. It's a few inches long by an inch and a little wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back