Factory Foul-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. Something else to fret about when driving your shiney new vehicle home.
wink.gif

"What happens when a new car is damaged at the factory? When engines are installed without oil or coolant? When fenders are dented? Windshields leak or break?"

Foul-ups

The author in the above link works at Toyota's NUMMI plant in California, but I'm sure mistakes occur in all auto plants.
frown.gif

I worked at an Olds/Cadillac dealer in the mid-80's. Once we had a new Cutlass, fresh off the trailer, engine made all sorts of racket. Order a new engine from GM. Just for kicks, the service techs tore the motor down and found it didn't have any rod bearings in it.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
I worked at an Olds/Cadillac dealer in the mid-80's. Once we had a new Cutlass, fresh off the trailer, engine made all sorts of racket. Order a new engine from GM. Just for kicks, the service techs tore the motor down and found it didn't have any rod bearings in it.
crushedcar.gif

shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Back in 1992 or 1993, I sat in a GMC truck at the dealership that had all Cheverolet logo's on the inside trim and steering wheel. Tried to get them to cut me a deal but they stuck to wanting full price for the mix labeling.

On another note, one of my co-workers had a 1996 Dodge pickup that a V6 logo on one side and a V8 on the other.

Hootbro

Really. I worked on the GATE line and scheduling would screw up the side gates and they would arrive at the floorpan 2dr & 4dr. It was fun too when a station wagon roof arrived for a Valiant 2dr sedan. Of course the floorpans weren't welded to the sides but the car did have to go down the line until the first "bank" in body-in-white where the parts were disassembled. Just imagine the combinations !!...we had Ply. left fenders and Dodge rights...all kinds of scheduling SNAFU's
This was in the early '60's before robots (we were the robots).
No horse-hockey, just the way it was.
A lot of engines lost their internals on high-rev hot test and final assembly roll tests. A little 273 or 340 doing about 140 mph on the roll test could generate a LOT of smoke when a connecting rod decides to "step outside".
P.B.

mh2800, you never worked at an assembly plant, did you ??

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
When I worked at Chrysler I saw some cars that came down the line 2dr on one side and 4dr on the other.
P.B.

I think I heard of that. It was the 'mother-in-law' edition.

I've been to the Explorer plant in St. Louis and have also seen the rejects at the GM plant in Wentzville where they make vans.

It's funny to see a van with the wrong color doors on it. It continues down the line to be re-worked later.

It is amazing to watch a car build. I toured the Ford plant from end to end when we did some computer work there.

We installed workstations throughout the plant, so I got to see almost the entire line.

There too, there were a lot of vehicles being re-worked.

I got to see some RHD Explorers that were being built for customers in Japan.

They had to go through an extra QC step because the Japanese expected higher quality than the typical US customer.

nope. wireless technician here. If you say so..
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
Really. I worked on the GATE line and scheduling would screw up the side gates and they would arrive at the floorpan 2dr & 4dr. It was fun too when a station wagon roof arrived for a Valiant 2dr sedan. Of course the floorpans weren't welded to the sides but the car did have to go down the line until the first "bank" in body-in-white where the parts were disassembled. Just imagine the combinations !!...we had Ply. left fenders and Dodge rights...all kinds of scheduling SNAFU's
This was in the early '60's before robots (we were the robots).
No horse-hockey, just the way it was.
A lot of engines lost their internals on high-rev hot test and final assembly roll tests. A little 273 or 340 doing about 140 mph on the roll test could generate a LOT of smoke when a connecting rod decides to "step outside".
P.B.

mh2800, you never worked at an assembly plant, did you ??

I drive for a fiberglass plant that makes parts for motorhomes. Once I backed my trailer into a $750,000 motorhome. Of course it was break time and I didn't expect some ditzy chick to think she could squeeze through my blind spot! And not use the horn!!
Gotta keep track of those re-work hours...

In the early 70's when I worked as a mechanic, a friend worked for a company in Long Beach where cars were offloaded from trains and ships and put on transport trucks for delivery in Southern California. His job was to do touch up work for scratchs and small dings. He was great at mixing and matching colors and he made a lot more than guys doing regular paint and body work. I was surprised at how many cars get touched up before the customer gets them.

I work next door to a Toyota dealer and they have this guy come to fix the scratches, dashboard imperfections, etc. I stopped to talk to him one day and he said he makes a good living traveling to the Dealers to do "touch-up" repairs. These are damages caused after the factory, usually during transport. He works out of his van. Impressive work, you never know it was touched up.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
ahem..I wish I didn't see that link. 06 vibe owner here

I have an '05 and I kinda wish I didn't find that link! If you want to check out the Vibe forum where I found the link, you can see it here:

GenVibe

It's a Vibe party!
cool.gif
I have an '04 Vibe and the link didn't bother me. I'm sure that goes on in all plants. The Vibe is a great car, the NUMMI plant is cool, and Genvibe is a good source of Vibe info.
cheers.gif

What was funny on Genvibe was the purported GM manager dissing the blogger for posting plant pics on the internet.
lol.gif

I found a couple things with my '90 Mustang, one of which was sort of scarey.

I was running an antenna cable under the rear seat and noticed a lump under the glued down foam insulation padding. I manage to get my hand under the padding and find an "extra" rear seat mounting bracket. It had obviously been laying there and they just stuck the pad down over it.

Now the scarey one. I changed the front struts out at about 2000 miles to Konis. Each strut is held to the control arm with 2, 7/16" fine thread high strength fasteners. Torque spec is 195-205 ft/lb. The left strut took a long breaker bar to get the bolts loose with a long cheater on it. The right side bolts I took out with a 3/8" drive standard length Snap On ratchet. No cheater and no work. They couldn't have had 20 ft/lb on them.
shocked.gif

As a service tech for a company that makes printers, I've walked through a few auto plants myself. The Chrysler van plant in Fenton,Mo. is impressive. As I remember, 600 vans per shift roll off that line. The sheer number of raw parts at that plant is something. Literally thousands of batteries, exhaust, rotors, you name it. I installed the first copier in the Wentzville, Mo. GM plant before it opened. (Well attempted to anyway- the plant was union. One union unloaded the truck, another moved the equipment. Once in place, I started work but was told to stop, as anything that was electric had to be installed by another union person. Now, this copier was 20 some odd feet long, and weighed a couple thousand pounds, not a .10 walk up gas station unit. I handed the guy the install and service manuals, all 500 plus pages, and went for coffee. After he struggled for about 2 hours,he and the foreman agreed to watch me for the next 2 days, while I worked.) At that time they were building BOP (Bonnevilles, Delta88, and Park Aves.). Huge sheets of steel came in on rail cars, loaded into presses, and out would come a fender, quarter, or roof. The robots were very cool to watch. Paint was on an upper level, cars went up raw, and came down pretty, where the engine/drivetrain was loaded from underneath. But the coolest plant ever was the GM plant on Union near downtown. They built trucks and Vettes there on the same line. It was just crazy to see a truck, then an El Camino, then a Vette roll by. Mostly complete bodies received engines by coming up from underground, and the heartbeat of big V-8's idling was everywhere. At one point, 12,000 people at a time were present on site, and shift change was just a mess. If it's this cool for me to just observe, the actual workers who touch the product, building a car so that someone can get somewhere, must be really something. Or maybe not- could be just a job to them. But ya never know who may ride in that car and see your work, or get their life saved cause it got a sick child to the hospital, or a parent to their daughters wedding. I would think there would be a level of pride along the line somewhere....

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
I would think there would be a level of pride along the line somewhere....

hee hee. According to Ford for awhile there was, remember "Quality is Job 1"?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back