Factory fill in Cadillac CTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have a clue about factory fill oil in Cadillac CTS? The CTS has the FSI system, the dealer said that it goes about 12,000 miles before needing a service. Seems a bit suspicious.

cool.gif
Does it have a Northstar engine? My folks are coming back from FL later this week and dad just traded his BMW (Bring My Wallet
rolleyes.gif
) on a new DeVille down there. I'll find out more when they get back, but AFAIK Caddys come with dino oil. Also they hold a ton of oil, so it may well go a long time between changes.

[ March 15, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

JDG33. I know exactly what oil is in
the CTS because I happen to work at the
plant that manufactures the engines for
the CTS. 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic oil is
used.
canada.gif

JDG33. I forgot to mention that our plant
is the only manufacture of the corvette engine
which also uses mobil 1 synthetic.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
I know exactly what oil is in
used.

cool.gif
Excellent!
cheers.gif
canada.gif
If it holds a fair bit of oil, then I wouldn't worry about it but still change it at least once a year. New cars I always change the first time at half the recommended miles, then at the first recommended OCI and after. It may have an oil life indicator, my mom's does, so I'd change the oil at 50% (or 6k), reset it, then wait till it says it's ready again.
Caddy UOA

"I know exactly what oil is in
used."

This is the kind of answer you can only get on BITOG.
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

No, it's got a 3.6L V6 with variable valve timing, 24 valves, etc. Aren't the northstars V8's?

This car actually belongs to my parents, they were told by the salesman to only change the oil when the indicator says so. I estimated this is about every 12,000 miles. I don't think that GM outside of the Corvette uses synthetic stuff that could stand the long interval.

Interesting you should mention, I drive a BMW and am used to the long intervals. But, my folks (and myself) are a bit skeptical on the Cadillac's service indicator system if they used el cheapo oil.

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
JDG33. I know exactly what oil is in
used.
canada.gif

They don't ship the engines all over the world with oil in them, do they? I got the impression when I toured on of the plants that the oil went in the engine at the final assembly plant. Or are you going by the oil filler cap which has the Mobil 1 logo on it?

Mike.Oil is installed at the engine assembly.
The engines are started and tested.
Chris B. I bought a used Bimmer because I wanted
a high end performance rear wheel drive car. I
bought it used anyway. Others at work drive
Audi's, Mercedes, Jags. North American car
companies don't really compete with the Europeans. Plus, it's my personal toy. I've
got 3 other GM cars.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back