Factory Fill CVT, 34k, 2018 Outback 3.6

Dang, I really wanted to see how much debris there was so I could compare it to my Nissan when I do it's first drain/fill but, for some reason it won't open on my computer.
Your nissan will likely have more than a Subaru. Subaru has a separate fluid for the front differential. With Nissan, the CVT fluid also goes through the differential

Subaru are like Porsche running in reverse gear: distal longitudinal mounted engine near the bumper.
Brilliant. Now all they need to do is design a rear engine slant four layout and get rid of that boxer!

An independent shop I trust is willing to do a flush with filter replacement. Quoted about $250-300. Dealers within an hour...some will do the same for $320-400 and others try HARD to tell you you don't need to replace CVT fluid. I don't get it. Every dealer seems to have a different story from "don't do it" to "we do a drain and fill but that's it" to "we drain, change filter, then hook up to a machine to exchange all of the fluid." Like, c'mon, how can the message be so different?!?

An independent shop I trust is willing to do a flush with filter replacement. Quoted about $250-300. Dealers within an hour...some will do the same for $320-400 and others try HARD to tell you you don't need to replace CVT fluid. I don't get it. Every dealer seems to have a different story from "don't do it" to "we do a drain and fill but that's it" to "we drain, change filter, then hook up to a machine to exchange all of the fluid." Like, c'mon, how can the message be so different?!?
You need to remove the trans to replace the filter. Its a cartridge type in the case and its "lifetime".

There may be a pickup filter/screen also though.

for 2L Impreza it is:

• Genuine:
     Parts
  • SKU:31728AA180

For a Nissan or Subaru?

You need to remove the trans to replace the filter. Its a cartridge type in the case and its "lifetime".

for 2L Impreza it is:

• Genuine:
     Parts
The parts list they sent me in the quote showed a screen type filter. He said they quote a new one but can almost always clean and reuse the old one. I've never had one apart, just know the part diagram he sent looked like if you drop the pan a filter/screen can be accessed. Or I looked at the picture wrong.

for 2L Impreza it is:

• Genuine:
     Parts
I think it's similar to this?

Yes that is a pickup screen/strainer but the filter (like and oil filter cartridge) is in the case front behind the converter,
But since you cannot get to it, just ignore it.

Good luck other than correct fluid, correct LEVEL is very important. and Subaru fill and inspection ports and locations are very confusing.
I do think IIRC, subaru use different bit sizes for fill drain and inspect - at least two different ones.

Hey HowAboutThis, I don't know if you saw my link about the 10 year 100k extended warranty on Subaru CVTs, but I wouldn't chance that warranty with a local shop. Put the responsibility of the Subaru dealer to do it correctly and spend a hundred bucks more. If you have a premature failure then you'll be able to point the finger at Subaru instead everyone looking for a scapegoat. If you are past that then warranty then I would save the money and do the preventative maintenance at independent.

I actually just did the in Pan filter, Auxiliary oil cooler filter, New aftermarket Jatco CVT style transmission oil pan WITH Drain plug ($20 bucks on eBay), Used the ATP CVT Transmission service filter kit came with new in pan filter, new pan gasket, UltraLub Universal Synthetic CVT Fluid, CVT Trans dipstick, and Pioneer auxiliary oil cooler filter on my 2015 Jeep Patriot with the Jatco CVT. It did wonders no whine at all anymore, buttery smooth engagement super quiet quiet and just A to Z overall so freaking much better vs pre service. Wasn't hard at all took my time and had it done 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Back