Factory Fill 5w20, 10k miles, 2005 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
thooks

Have you seen a factory fill UOA where the wear metals are not higher than the universal averages?

I would've no issues running the factory fill for 10,000 miles or more if it was recommended by the OEM. The wear metals would eventually drop over the course of several oil changes and would eventually reach normal levels.

Think of the many BMWs and Mercedes that go 13-15K on the OEM fill before getting their first oil change, and none have had negative effects.

thooks,

I did run the factory fill for 10k miles... you're reading my UOA
wink.gif

That's one gotcha for lindermant.
grin.gif

I have read the owners manual of my new 2006 Civic front to back and it does not say anything about 5,000 or 10,000 miles. Just says to use the maintenance reminder. Then all you have to figure out is it service A or B and 1, 2, or 3. I love the Honda cars but their maintenance guide just plain sucks.

quote:

Think of the many BMWs and Mercedes that go 13-15K on the OEM fill before getting their first oil change, and none have had negative effects.

Yeah, I know that. But it's also run on a full synthetic and BMW has been doing it for more than 10 years. Honda has not.

quote:

I did run the factory fill for 10k miles... you're reading my UOA

Knew that, too.

I chose not to run the factory fill in our 2005 Accord for anywhere near the reccomended mileage.

Your money, your car. An oil change is cheap for me.

Manuals are not Bibles. They will indeed get you through warranty period if followed, which is the intention of the mfg. to begin with.

A person who is interested enough to have his oil anylized and visit a board like this, will eventually pick up that there are wear metals that are at abnormal levels during the first miles an engine is in service.

To me, it wouldn't matter who or what told me to leave my factory fill/break-in oil in my brand new engine...I wouldn't do it.
Contamination from previous wearing can contribute to more wear, especially when the level of contamination is a bit more than the dispersants can handle, such as during break-in.

On a brand new engine, I like to see the initial wear metals being flushed out as soon as practical. Of course in a perfect world with a precision machining, the intitial wear metals would be virtually null, but the chance of that happening in a mass production engine are slight, if at all.

BTW...what oil is the factory fill?
I can't imagine the mfg not being very specific on the choice of oil with such a proud recommendation for OCI.

And, lindermant...I too think you are going to have a fine auto there, but at +41mpg I hate you.
smile.gif

jaybird,

dunno.gif

I can only assume the factory fill was 5w20 dino, as that's what the manual calls for with subsequent oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:
BTW...what is the factory fill?

There was an article at Lube Report last September about Nippon Oil building a blending plant in Alabama to provide bulk factory-fill oil to Asian automakers building cars and light trucks in the U.S. The article listed Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota as users of Nippon Oil that was currently contract provided by toll blenders in the U.S. So much for the persistant assumption that since overpriced "Honda" brand motor oil at the stealerships is supplied by ExxonMobil, that's what goes into the engines on the assembly line...

I would never leave the factory fill in for 10K regardless of what the manual stated (unless it was a lease that would be turned in in 2 or 3 years). If engine longevity was my goal the factory fill would be out by 3k. Its great that Honda builds engines that last 300K w/o much hassle. Too bad some of their A/T's won't last 100K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back