Blackstone Labs

Oil: 10,000 miles
Makeup oil: 0
Car: 10,000 miles, 28 weeks*, 357 miles/week
*Calculated from purchase/in-service date
Oil Filter: Honda/Filtech OEM 15400-PLM-A01 cut open oil filter pics
Air Filter: Honda/Filtech OEM air filter pics

Additives: FP60 – 2oz per tank added at each fillup
Vehicle mods: tire pressure set to 43psi cold (tire rated for max 51psi cold); factory intake resonator removed, cold air hose routed from fog light to factory air filter box cold air hose

Honda recommends 5w-20 oil at 10k miles or 1 year for normal driving, and 5k miles or 6 months for severe driving for my 4 cylinder engine.

UOAs
05 Honda Civic Si - Factory fill 5w20 - 5040 miles, dated Sep 2005 (not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison with the Si 2.0L, but it was the only Honda 4cyl factory fill UOA I could find)

UOA
code:

Fact Univ

Brand: Fill Avg

Weight: 5W20

Unit Miles: 10k

Oil Miles: 10k

Oil Weeks: 28

Miles/week: 357.2

Day: Feb 7

Year: 2006

Oil Filter: Honda

-------------+------+-----

Aluminum 7 3

Chromium 2 1

Iron 22 8

Copper 12 4

Lead 13 7

Tin 5 1

Molybdenum 347 116

Nickel 1 0

Manganese 2 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 0 0

Boron 124 51

Silicon 51 11

Sodium 9 11

Calcium 1750 2320

Magnesium 11 128

Phosphorus 641 792

Zinc 759 972

Barium 7 0

vis sus@210 52.2 52-61

Flash point 365 >355

TBN 1.7

Fuel
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.4

UOA Report pic

Blackstone Comments: This was a long way to push the factory oil and you can see the result in the wear metals, with lower end wear reading high. Lead, copper and tin are from bearings and these metals typically do not read high during wear-in, unless the oil has become too abrasive. Some of that silicon (factory leftover) may be abrasive. You can expect everything to improve in the next sample if you keep your oil use miles down around 5400, which is average for the 1.7L. Engine gets you 41.4 mpg you would hate to wear it out too soon. The TBN was 1.7, about exhausted.

[ February 15, 2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: lindermant ]

As usual for Honda....look at all the moly!
Even with some of the higher wear metal numbers, it's not all that bad for 10K miles. Some of those numbers are also going to from engine build and not actual wear as this is the first UOA. I bet the second one will be much better. Oil held up surprisedly well.

This engine is gonna die early,like at 350K miles with this kinda abuse!

Doesn't Honda say 5K factory fill?

Just curious as to the logic of 10K?

The oil looks OK, though. But I wouldn't want to see the Pb and Sn carry through the next 10K.

I would definately use a quality synthetic like castrol syntec, pennzoil platinum, or valvoline synpower to go those long intervals. Some are suprised by dino lasting this long but it shows they are highly refined.

my commute is 72 miles roundtrip (highway); driveway to highway portion is one mile, highway exit to work is one mile. I'm on the road during non-rush hour traffic, crusing at 50-55mph.

The fact that you should have changed it at 5000 may be the problem. Now after you changed it you should be able to use dyno at your interval.

quote:

The fact that you should have changed it at 5000 may be the problem. Now after you changed it you should be able to use dyno at your interval.

Don't take this as being argumentative, but I'm not quite sure I'm following you speedtc. Where's the problem?

I don't see a problem with this UOA. It's the first OCI with this engine and the metals will surely drop down with each successive OCI. I would say that the well refined conventional SM oil is doing a great job in this duty cycle for 10k mile OCI's. The Honda OCI recomendation is Spot on and you can't go wrong continuing with it.
What oil did you chose to run on your second interval?

The "problem" was explicitly covered in Blackstone's comments. There've been comments in other threads indicating that wear metal accumulation is non-linear. To put it another way, as these metals accumulate in the oil, the resulting abrasive slurry forces further accumulation at an increasingly accelerated rate. I doubt you did serious harm this early in the motor's life, but extending the OCI to this degree on the factory fill oil, despite gobs of highly molybdenum fortified assembly lube, may not have been in your motor's best interest. You're approaching 20,000 miles' wear in just 10,000 miles.

Bryanccfshr, I'm currently running Havoline 5w20 dino (along with an OEM Honda/Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 oil filter, and OEM Honda/Filtech air filter).

I have a 2004 Element and a 2005 Odyssey and they both said change OEM fill at 5,000. This will be interesting to read the new owners manual as I am picking up MY new 2006 Civic in about 30 minutes.

I don't know what Blackstone is talking about here, it doesn't look like a serious amount of engine wear took place here. For a 10k run on the factory fill, this report doesn't look that bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back