Factory Cruise Control Installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So I decided to keep my 02 Chevy. Truck is just too good to have payments on a new one, plus talked to guys who went from an 02 to 15 and up and said I won't notice enough difference towing.

At any rate decided to add factory cruise control Just so happens all the wiring is already in place.

I needed the module, cable and multifunction switch.
I didn't mess around with used a multifunction switch, got a new for 80 bucks.
Module and cable were $17.28 at the local Pick and Pull.
The studs to mount the module were already in the firewall.

Took about an hour total. Best part is when the cruise is on, the light was already in the dash! Best money I have spent on the truck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Nick1994
That's awesome!

I'd love to do this with my Jeep, now I need to research it...

Steering wheel is different on Cherokees, as I recall...and 1996 uses a unique wheel. (Only year with old interior and airbag.) You might do better with Dakota Digital's setup.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
That's awesome!

I'd love to do this with my Jeep, now I need to research it...

Steering wheel is different on Cherokees, as I recall...and 1996 uses a unique wheel. (Only year with old interior and airbag.) You might do better with Dakota Digital's setup.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Awesome sauce! Less than $100 for a $1500 option

When has cruise control ever been a $1500 option?

I don't know how much it cost in 02, but since my truck was a Government truck the only option it had was A/C. It must have saved the Government a certain amount of money to leave those items out.

I know all the new Government trucks, well I believe from 07 on have power windows, power door locks, cruise and some have powers seats. For resale.
Our trucks at Subase get updated when they go over a certain mileage or age. It isn't near as long as you would think.

Mine was updated due to age. I got it 8 years ago with 23,000 miles on it.

I wish I had looked into it years ago. It is so easy and really so nice to have. It will help on those 4 to 6 hour drives for some of the remote camping I do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
It's more on a new F-150. To get cruise control, you have to pay for a $2,000+ option package.

Technically that doesn't make cruise a $2000 option though, but I get what you're saying.

Nice, Mike! Cruise makes a huge difference.

I think the drive by wire trucks only require a new stalk to add CC.

My mother has an '03 2500 4x4 with no options. I did some research at one point to add CC, and I'm pretty sure that's what I discovered about the DBW trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Nice, Mike! Cruise makes a huge difference.

I think the drive by wire trucks only require a new stalk to add CC.

My mother has an '03 2500 4x4 with no options. I did some research at one point to add CC, and I'm pretty sure that's what I discovered about the DBW trucks.

I think you are correct. I remember reading about it when I was doing my research.

It is weird because the WS6 is a 2000 and has the throttle cable going to a box with two cables going in and one coming out and going to throttle. Like a primitive drive by wire. The box also has something to do with traction control as well. It Is a 2000 while the truck is a 2002. Not sure what the logic was there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman
It's more on a new F-150. To get cruise control, you have to pay for a $2,000+ option package.

Technically that doesn't make cruise a $2000 option though, but I get what you're saying.

They must have recently redone the packages - even the base XL gets AC and Cruise standard. Anymore a lot of the "comforts" end up as standard so they don't have to redesign and stock the various parts with and without them.

These are the best kinds of upgrades, when they already went part of the way there but just deleted components to create lower trim levels and stuff. You just have to buy the parts and plug them in.

Awesome!

I did something similar with a Saturn Outlook I had. I bought it without tow/haul package. DId a little research and realized it was the addition of a hitch, wiring, trans cooler, and a button in the dash. Did the wiring, hitch, and trans cooler easily of course. Then ordered the tow/haul button from Saturn. Took the dash apart, the wiring was already there. Plugged it in, and POOF, worked perfectly. Light in the dash, and software already in the controller...just needed the button.

Originally Posted by Patman

Distinction without a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back