Facebook Marketplace

I know it's trendy to not be a Facebook user, but it seems I'm missing out on Marketplace deals. The little tidbits that they allow to see without an account looks amazing, kind of like Craigslist on steroids.

Is there a way to access FB on the downlow, or is it just not worth it?

I found out about it a few years ago and have made $$$$$$$$ selling and buying and have found ALL my current fleet of cars on FB market place

Scored some INSANE deals on car parts and cars
thumbsup2.gif

Craigslist is DEAD !! At least in my region

Dave

I sold 5 or 6 things on Facebook Marketplace over the last few years, including a car. Listed all items on Craigslist too, but I only got any action from Facebook.

You can create yourself a Facebook page using an alias, and don't tell your friends about it so they don't send you friend requests. That way you can just keep the account for the Marketplace.

I've done very well selling on craigslist for about 10yrs. After I finally needed to be on FB for unrelated reasons, I have been doing marketplace for a few months - overall FB marketplace is doing solidly better for me. Much less scam bait too. A couple tips:

- you'll have a waiting period for a new account before you're allowed to "join" marketplace (30 or 60 days? I don't they gave a hard number of days and I don't recall the wait exactly)
- Since communication is steered through FB messenger, it is convenient to put that app on your phone for on the go communication.

Originally Posted by Nayov
I know it's trendy to not be a Facebook user, but it seems I'm missing out on Marketplace deals. The little tidbits that they allow to see without an account looks amazing, kind of like Craigslist on steroids.

I have friends with multiple accounts.. you can even misspell your name.. you can even have a business page or couples account.. theres alot of options.

Its beyond craigs... and in some ways beyond ebay. With FB marketplace you can actually look at the item before you 'Buy Now'... and not wait for shipping.

If you are a buyer or seller FB marketplace is a powerful tool.

Not sure why its trendy not to be a FB user. I go to events that i never would find otherwise.. yes there is a Tab for Events.

Create an account. FB Marketplace is a tool to use if you see a benefit. Don't worry what others think about having an account.

so whats up with me selecting items within 40 miles.. and its showing stuff 2 states away.. am I missing something.

I select 40 miles and its showing Cincinatti (200 miles) Items in Michigan.. does facebook get paid to throw those into my search results even though they dont match?

PS I dont use facebook. total noob. Tons of people at work get fired for it.. so I dont use it.. login in once a month or so see whats happening with friends is about it.

Facebook marketplace is great for selling.

Every thing I have put on there has sold for GOOD money.

You can throw something used up there for almost new price and people will fight over it.

It's really weird.

Being in south Texas a lot of people from Nuevo Laredo MX drive up here to buy electronics, home goods, etc.

I've sold everything you can imagine, when we moved from Austin to SA we decided to do that and we did really well.

Originally Posted by Miller88
"Is this still available?"

I hate how every time I go to message someone on something it automatically sends that.

I always wondered about that before I ended up suspecting it's an automated thing FB does. If 1-2 people did it, I thought they typed this. When 90% do this, I realized it had to be something built in to the selling platform.

Originally Posted by Rand
so whats up with me selecting items within 40 miles.. and its showing stuff 2 states away.. am I missing something.

I select 40 miles and its showing Cincinatti (200 miles) Items in Michigan.. does facebook get paid to throw those into my search results even though they dont match?
Just a guess, but the seller may be given the option to "pay" for a broader reach, i.e. a "sponsored" listing.

Originally Posted by Rand
Tons of people at work get fired for it.. so I dont use it.. login in once a month or so see whats happening with friends is about it.
Your co-workers don't have internet at home ?

Originally Posted by JustinH
Facebook marketplace is great for selling.

Every thing I have put on there has sold for GOOD money.

You can throw something used up there for almost new price and people will fight over it.

I'll sell things, and usually have good luck, in our 'local' groups only. I remember when FB automatically added listings to their Marketplace and you had to catch it and un-check that box. I still avoid it but am tempted to try it... Just curious, how is the shipping/delivery part handled ? Does FB have a shipping tool now as well ?

On my 'local' listings, I always include "Pickup in (city) only. No, I don't deliver." Never fails that someone wants to meet somewhere inconvenient to me or wants me to ship it. I simply ignore them. If someone posts right after them that they'll come pick it up now, it's theirs. Some groups insist you go in order but to me, if the potential buyer can't follow simple conditions of the sale, they're bumped.
grin.gif

It automatically fills it in, but you still have to take action to send it.

Change the text and send what you want to send?

It's even more annoying for sellers who get these messages from folks who let them go before they are ready, or perhaps they don't even know they are sending them.

I hate how every time I go to message someone on something it automatically sends that.

"Craigslist on steroids"? Hardly..... everytime I look on FB Marketplace I am underwhelmed. Of course, maybe Craigslist is just stronger in my area.

I rarely go on Facebook. The MAIN reason I go on at all is to check out the marketplace. It's like going to the farmer's market without having to put on pants.

Doesn't bother me. I believe it's there as a convenience for many. I always type over it.

It's a fair question because many people are lazy about taking down a posting that sold. (Of course none of us are that lazy).

I have bought and sold on FM Market Place. But all transactions were with people I already knew via FB and in person. No experience yet with "non-friend" buyers/sellers... I imagine it's similar to Craigslist.

It's beating craigslist here too in spots.

It's nice to see someone joined facebook in 2008 or whatever, lessening the chance that they're a bot. And you can snoop on whatever else they have on sale and if they're astute enough to use privacy settings. I'm not one to judge if their pics are all of their tatoos, of stupid cell phone puppy face filters. In fact I like buying stuff from morons.

CL has the ace in the hole of the $5 used car listing. I can put something on there now and get less competition and more money from fools who don't use FB Marketplace.

If you subscribe to local marketplace groups you can cross post your item to up to 10 groups.

Some of the groups in San Antonio have 50,000 users.

You are getting at least 250,000 users to look at your widget, no wonder it sells so fast.

I can sell anything.

I sold a rusty harbor freight greenhouse, and a used mattress, and a old pancake compressor in one day.

Back