Facebook Marketplace Messages are always in slow motion

By that I mean, when I type a reply to a question, it takes 5 or more seconds for what I enter on the keyboard to actually show on the page. Same if I click on something. It can take 5 seconds for the requested page to show up. Very annoying at least. This doesn't happen on FB Messenger so it's not something with my computer that's on Windows 7 with Chrome. Is this something deliberate by Facebook? Like some kind of tracking system.

"Google has announced it will end Chrome support on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 early next year. Chrome 110, which is scheduled for release on February 7th, will not work on either of the operating systems."

If your lucky you might have until March - April before secure websites (banks, shopping, bill pay) actively start blocking your access.

I think it has to do with running a decade old OS that does not get security updates or decade old hardware that can't keep up with demanding UI elements.
Except this doesn't happen on FB Messenger, just Marketplace messages so that should have nothing to do with it.

"Google has announced it will end Chrome support on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 early next year. Chrome 110, which is scheduled for release on February 7th, will not work on either of the operating systems."

If your lucky you might have until March - April before secure websites (banks, shopping, bill pay) actively start blocking your access.
Don't worry, Google will still track everything you do in versions > 109. I haven't used Chrome in a long time because of the tracking. Use Firefox with containers, then put anything google into a 'google' container jail and don't use that container for anything else.

I have and can still use Explorer and that's years after they shut that down. I don't expect Chrome to be any different. Just in case I also have Firefox and Brave installed.

I have and can still use Explorer and that's years after they shut that down. I don't expect Chrome to be any different. Just in case I also have Firefox and Brave installed.
Just in case **WHAT**?! Are you expecting malicious parties to advise you in some way that they are using your outdated, insecure and unsupported technologies for malicious purposes? And THEN you'll move on to something more sensible?

EOL (End-Of-Life) software does not stop functioning once its support is done. There are plenty of situations where running the same old same old into perpetuity is probably smart (e.g. an air-gapped - meaning "physically disconnected from a network" - automation system). Internet-facing technologies, especially something as dynamically-changing and complex as a web browser, **are not among them**.

Blissfully unaware people and organizations running insecure technology is WHY malicious parties can continue doing what they're doing.

I still have Microsoft Essentials working and occasionally run Maleware Bytes. I guess I'm not as concerned over security as some people. Heck, people still smoke, drive without seatbelts and text behind the wheel, all of which can be physically deadly, so using an older computer program isn't a major concern to me.

Unless you really need Win7, it's time to upgrade to Win10.
As others have mentioned, Win7 is going away.

At the very least, your machine was built approximately a decade before the website and the updated browsers your computer is running.
Browsers are memory hogs. I have a modern machine running a Ryzen 5600x and 64gb of RAM and even then, some social media tabs become sluggish for all the crap they are doing, etc. A machine contemporary to Win7 probably doesn't have near those resources and will struggle from time to time.

I think oilBabe is going to get a memory upgrade on her 2 year old laptop as 8gb doesn't really cut it these days.

...and you'll continue to post and ask why you have obscure, website-related issues. The issue will be the same, your outdated, insecure, unsupported OS and browser(s).

...and you'll continue to post and ask why you have obscure, website-related issues. The issue will be the same, your outdated, insecure, unsupported OS and browser(s).
What's obscure? Problem is with FB Marketplace messages. Problem doesn't occur with FB Messenger. Both are identical messaging platforms. If it was an OS or browser issue, why wouldn't it happen on both? You seem to point out one perceived negative aspect of something I'm doing when you don't have the answer to the issue.

You seem to point out one perceived negative aspect of something I'm doing when you don't have the answer to the issue.
Not counting you, (7) different people commented (myself included), and (5) of us pointed out that your out-of-date OS and browser are to blame. Believe what you want. You post asking for "help" then debate/argue with those that tell you what's wrong 'cause you seemingly don't like the answers you get.

Facebook says "Which web browsers work best with Facebook

To make sure you have best experience possible, we recommend using the most up-to-date version of one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge"

Good luck !

Is it possible that Marketplace messages are different due to the recommendation algorithm? If so, it's doing more in the background when compared to regular messages and runs a higher risk of compatibility issues.

Chrome is one of, if not the worst browsers from a memory perspective (I'll hold on any other perspective). When it came out it was lean and great for old junk hardware. It's become more and more stable over the years but stability brings in more resources. I have 7 tabs open right now, Lastpass, Gmail, Todoist, Pocket, CamCard, Google News and here, 1GB of memory used.

Like nearly every other thread OP posts on obscure problems with websites and software and apps, nearly all of it is due to using an out of date OS and browser so he has issues that very few of the rest of us do... I'm doing this response on a nearly 10 year old machine - but its fully updated with fully supported OS and software, and has had the hardware upgraded along the way... not just one part of that.

Also funny that the OP claims that messenger works just fine, but marketplace messaging does not, and claims it doesn't make any sense because they are the same. Clearly, they are not - and without looking under the hood of what facebook is doing, claiming they are the same isn't a great assumption... Understanding the point of marketplace - its highly likely there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that add to the compatibility problems the further back you go in operating systems and browsers...

I'm doing this response on a nearly 10 year old machine - but its fully updated with fully supported OS and software, and has had the hardware upgraded along the way
It's not really a 10-year old machine anymore though.

and claims it doesn't make any sense because they are the same. Clearly, they are not - and without looking under the hood of what facebook is doing, claiming they are the same isn't a great assumption
In a recent post about FB, he described a layout that no one else was seeing. Websites absolutely render differently in different browsers, in different versions of browsers, some features aren't supported, and so on. Until websites start displaying a page that says "Sorry, your browser and/or operating system are not supported" will anything change, I suspect.

I have 7 tabs open right now, Lastpass, Gmail, Todoist, Pocket, CamCard, Google News and here, 1GB of memory used.
Interesting.... I only have (4) tabs open and Chrome is only using 216mb

1670430682414.jpg

I could open a few more but I don't see it quadrupling the memory usage. This is on macOS, FWIW. A lot of the blame for memory usage belongs to the page(s) that you're viewing too, not just the browser. I just opened (6) tabs with google.com and memory went up 15mb.

Interesting.... I only have (4) tabs open and Chrome is only using 216mb

I could open a few more but I don't see it quadrupling the memory usage. This is on macOS, FWIW. A lot of the blame for memory usage belongs to the page(s) that you're viewing too, not just the browser. I just opened (6) tabs with google.com and memory went up 15mb.

Just checked again and with more tabs open (13) it's lower. Who knows? lol

Back