Fabulous Hudson Hornets............ Ignore or Delete if you are not an automobile fan/geezer/geek like me.

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
Fabulous Hudson Hornets............ Ignore or Delete if you are not a total automobile fan/geezer/geek like me.

I spend most of my days living in the past.... Reading any articles or books I can get my hands on about the past - construction / history / cars / boats / almost anything with an I.C.E. engine I am a fan of / addicted too and can't learn or dream enough about owning ,working on or enjoy driving ICEs.
That is unless I am getting beat up (playing) and drug around the house by grandkids. I have a 9 year old grandaughter / a six year old and a two year old grandson who are all just so full of energy I should see about getting a blood transfusion from them! OOF, they can be rough when they are young and like to jump all over me and the furniture and demand "Poppa play with us now!"
So my love of all things mechanical brings me to another Star of the Past I hope to share with any other motor heads here at BITOG. Been knowing abou the Hudson motor cars for years and some of their history. Found this article intersting as I was searching to find out why such a great American vehicle just went away. Always been a fan and lusted over American Motors Corporation muscle cars from their brief period of existence in the 70s. The AMX / Javelin / Rebel / Rebel Machine etc.... that I used to see ripping up drag strips and at times leaving the Big Three cars behind in a cloud of smoke and rubber..... I found out Hudson was merged into the corporation named AMC who took Nash Motor Cars and Hudsons under their wing to create one company. Unfortunately Hudsons run died out shortly after.
As I say - please ENJOY or simply DELETE.:unsure:

hudson1.jpg

hudson on the track.jpg

FabulousHudsonHornets_800.jpg

Great post my friend, thank you!

I have an office down in Charlotte and have visited the NASCAR Hall of Fame a few times. Awesome place.
Here is a pic I dug up that you'll appreciate.

View attachment 85160
WOW - Thanks. Would love to see that in person. What is amazing is those Hudsons were beating V8 engines with their straight six two carb engines. I will try to see what is available to see on the internet of the Hall of Fame you were lucky to visit.
Its funny how things work out. Hudsons were not originally designed to be race cars. They were kind of accidental race innovators with what was at the time the best handing autos manufactured in the USA. Like many car makers they temporarily stopped production to make supplies during WWII.

Last edited:
The Hudson Hornet is a neat car, filled with history.

The Hudson Hornet appeared in Disney Pixar’s film, Cars.

CCF049EF-D6AF-4516-8D27-FA94370AF030.png

To OP. Thank you sir for making my morning. Eddie Hudson. How is the unibody on the 54? Down on rt 140 where it borders on RI. is a Hudson dlrship with a pair Hudson fronts welded together.
In American novels and movies, Hudsons were main characters in Grapes of Wrath, On the Road, and Driving Miss Daisy The Hudson had a unique wet clutch that used cork for the friction material
(y)

Last edited:
"...into Manhattan..." From where (approximately) or how far away?

From the north Bronx, about 12 miles to 42nd st & 11th ave. I put about 35000 miles on it before retiring it.

Yikes, lock the barn door Eddie!

It has a 1950 Commodore 8 coupe and a 1951 Super 6 for company. They have all been off the road for years.

Eddie Hudson. How is the unibody on the 54?

The perimeter frame is lousy but repairable the rest of the car is solid.

That is unless I am getting beat up (playing) and drug around the house by grandkids. I have a 9 year old grandaughter / a six year old and a two year old grandson who are all just so full of energy I should see about getting a blood transfusion from them! OOF, they can be rough when they are young and like to jump all over me and the furniture and demand "Poppa play with us now!
After a wonderful though exhausting morning playing with our two older grandchildren (4-1/2 and 2-1/2), I'm relaxing on the couch, drinking tea and reading BITOG. I can fully relate, and would not change a thing. Gotta go now and do Phase 3 of the clean-up, involving sorting and putting away some 7,000 LEGO pieces.

But I digress - thanks for the Hudsons - they are awesome!

It's amazing to see the progress in racing safety. To see those guys strap in with nothing more than a short sleeved shirt and dockers style pants, and a small bicycle looking helmet seems crazy in todays world.

It's amazing to see the progress in racing safety. To see those guys strap in with nothing more than a short sleeved shirt and dockers style pants, and a small bicycle looking helmet seems crazy in todays world.
I loved to bury the needle when I was young and too dumb to realize what could happen. I do not know what kind of brass it took to get grown men in those older (real) stock cars to do between 100 to 200 mph down a speedway with a leather helmet, non fireproof clothes and maybe goggles? like those guys did!!! Just a clue how dangerous - anyone should be able to guess what ended the career of a guy called FireBall Roberts
in the early NASCAR days before all the safety precautions.

One of these 1955 Hudson Italia cars was a no sale / pass by the auction seller for $355,000.
The car has the famous highly sought after 114 Hp Twin - H power 202 cui engine and is like
new. I'd run out of storage if I could buy all these toys I lust over. An amazing beauty from
the great 1950s auto days. Stunning car.

Attachments

• hudson111.jpg
    hudson111.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 12
  • hudsonii.jpg
    hudsonii.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 11
  • hudsoni.jpg
    hudsoni.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back