F250 not coming out of park

My F250 is randomly not coming out of park when running or not starting and was wondering if anyone here has seen the issue.

Online searches point to the brake light switch, but my brake lights are coming on. Neutral safety switch could also be an issue but I see the release on the unit is often popping up but still no start. Dashboard is saying press brake to start, however brake lights are on and saftey switch is usually disengaging. When running and trying to switch from park during errands it is locked.

So I think it is electrical somewhere, relay or fuse. Getting book out today to trace circuit but thought I would ask here in case anyone has seen this already.

To be clear sometimes the neutral safety disengages with no start, sometimes it does not disengage at all. When you take the steering column off you can see it.

No codes, not under warranty. My gut tells me there is a relay somewhere in the system that is going wonky.

If you put your ear close to the column, with the key "on", or the truck running, you should hear a click when you depress the brake. If you don't hear the click, it may be too well insulated to hear it, but there's a solenoid in there that should release the shifter with the brake depressed. If no release, bad solenoid, or wiring short. I'm not familiar with the column shift system, but there should be an emergency release somewhere around the column so you can drive it until it's fixed. This happened to me in a loaner Civic back in the late 80s. Had to insert the key in a slot by the shifter, put it in neutral, then start the car.

This happened to our Volvo this summer and my boss’s Tacoma last month. I guess it happens in waves. The brake circuit should engage a solenoid which pulls a pin free to move the lever. You’ll need to pull the cover off the column and go old school. Find the solenoid? Is it powered? Is it moving? Why not.....

the Volvo was purely mechanical... spring-loaded cable from the console shifter to the ignition switch.

sorry - I found this was irritating to troubleshoot, but once I got in there it wasn’t that bad. Good luck..

m

I'm going to change the brake light switch this weekend, seems to be the most common cause of this problem

It was something in the transmission. Pan had to be taken off and a module inside was changed.

Back