F250 ATF Frankenbrew for slipping 4R70W

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the 98 F250LD for anyone who remembers previous posts. The trans is still slipping and marginally driveable. Today I went to Bi-Mart and bought two callons of SuperS Premium universal tractor fluid, one quart of Lucas transmission fix, and one quart of Havoline type-f for color. I have read enough about UTF in race car applications for a ticker fluid and less friction modifiers resulting in more holding power in clutchpacks, similar to Type-F but more so. I will change the fluid out soon and keep the forums posted for anyone who cares to see what happens.

Please don't bother posting telling me not to do it, I didn't ask. Simply sharing the experience.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Will be interesting to see how that works out!

I thought the F250LD used the 4R100 transmission?

I think '98 was still the E4OD ("older" version of the 4R100). '99 was when they used the 4R100 (and name changed to the 7700 instead of F250LD).
Mercon fluid originally, but Mercon V is recommended now.

Depends on the engine. I show both as available in a 4.6 or 5.4L

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I think '98 was still the E4OD ("older" version of the 4R100). '99 was when they used the 4R100 (and name changed to the 7700 instead of F250LD).
Mercon fluid originally, but Mercon V is recommended now.

This one uses the 4R70W and specs Merc V right in the dipstick.

For anyone wondering I have put pressure gauges on the transmission and all forward gears or low reverse is normal. I believe the problem to be the overdrive servo leaking past the shaft due to a worn housing causing low pressure to the forward clutches.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Not familiar with Ford transmissions.
Can you access that with a pan drop or is it a removal?
I would have to pull the valve body. I don't have a garage right now but when I do I will pull the transmission for a full rebuild.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Depends on the engine. I show both as available in a 4.6 or 5.4L

I have the 4.6 and 4R70W package with 3.73:1 LSD.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s when I was working at Sea Land shipping we were using retired 534 gasser yard mules that were converted to refrigeration work shops by way of putting a box (shop) on the frame rails. I drove one for 19 years and all it got in its auto trans was Rotella 15w-40. I have no idea what model trans it had but the Rotella suited it fine - nice tight shifts and, well, I drove it from 1976 to 1995 with no issues.
So, in my experience, engine oil can work fine in some auto trannies.

I'm going to go out on a limb a bit and guess that if it increases the holding power of the forward clutches enough to make it drivable, you will have a severe shudder when the torque converter locks up. If not right away, then in fairly short order.

Interested in the results.

The only real problem I see with your plan is the likelihood of making the inevitable rebuild more expensive. Perhaps not by the fluid, but by continuing to drive it to death. It seems that rebuilding one that still works is likely to be cheaper than rebuilding one that has failed completely.

Last edited:
I changed out the ATF today for the UTF and the driveability is much better. No more slipping and bucking trying to leave a stop sign. If I gas it or try to climb a hill it will still slip but less so. This truck will still stay parked for the most part, but will get UTF again when I replace or rebuild the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back