F150 Water pump woes

Water pumps are not uncommon on the Coyote engines. replace the t-stat and all the associated seals while you are in there. Also there is a Y shaped hose with an 8566 callout on the illustrations that leaks a lot.
Does the latest water pump that ford puts on have the same short lifespan as the OEM? Do I have a year or two warranty on the work the dealership performed for both parts and labor?

I will be more aware of these issues now in the future. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous for a water pump tensioners and pulley to go at 65000 miles, but maybe I’ve gotten lucky. All the vehicles I have owned in the past never had cooling issues ever. Good stuff to know for the future.
You have been lucky. I worked at a shop for 18 years doing nothing but cooling systems and AC.

Does the latest water pump that ford puts on have the same short lifespan as the OEM? Do I have a year or two warranty on the work the dealership performed for both parts and labor?
I think its a case by case basis. My Mustang, knock on wood, has not has an issue. I keep debating on changing the pump when I finally change out the factory coolant.

And yes, Ford has a 2 year parts and labor warranty on most parts installed at a dealer.

I think its a case by case basis. My Mustang, knock on wood, has not has an issue. I keep debating on changing the pump when I finally change out the factory coolant.

And yes, Ford has a 2 year parts and labor warranty on most parts installed at a dealer.
Great. Thanks for letting me know.

I will be more aware of these issues now in the future. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous for a water pump tensioners and pulley to go at 65000 miles, but maybe I’ve gotten lucky. All the vehicles I have owned in the past never had cooling issues ever. Good stuff to know for the future.
No you didnt get lucky in the past, for a 6 year old vehicle with 65k miles to have that happen is ridiculous in my book. But as long as people keep buying them as fast as they build them, why should ford focus on longevity after the warranty period is up?

I have a friend with a 14 year old 430k mile car, original pump, idlers everything. My 12 year old 130k mile car is all original cooling system components, my moms 19 year old 100k mile caravan has the original waterpump and tensioner.

No you didnt get lucky in the past, for a 6 year old vehicle with 65k miles to have that happen is ridiculous in my book. But as long as people keep buying them as fast as they build them, why should ford focus on longevity after the warranty period is up?

I have a friend with a 14 year old 430k mile car, original pump, idlers everything. My 12 year old 130k mile car is all original cooling system components, my moms 19 year old 100k mile caravan has the original waterpump and tensioner.
Maybe it’s a sign of the times. I’m glad I’m not the only that thinks that way. Lol

I had a 2012 F-150 5.0 that had the water pump go out at about 100k. Never made any noise, just started to leak from the weep hole. There is also a Y connector off the thermostat that connects to the upper radiator hose that is prone to leak. I had to replace the o-rings on the quick connects a couple times. kind of a stupid design because the Y connector isn't bolted to anything so I think the vibration wears on the o-rings over time. It is an easy fix.

My upper rad hose started leaking at the y connector recently. While I’m tempted to just fix the one leak I kind of want to replace that whole region while I’m at it...

My upper rad hose started leaking at the y connector recently. While I’m tempted to just fix the one leak I kind of want to replace that whole region while I’m at it...
My Mustang is getting close to 60K miles and I think I am going to do everything in that region along with the kit to change the A/C belt to use a tensioner.

My Mustang is getting close to 60K miles and I think I am going to do everything in that region along with the kit to change the A/C belt to use a tensioner.

Shoot, 60k is just getting broken in. Rolled 120k yesterday but my upper rad hose has been weeping at the y-fitting for a couple weeks now. Hope it holds until White Bear Ford can ship my parts!

Back