F150 Water pump woes

My Idler pulley and tensioner were making noise so I had them replaced along with the belt. I drove it a couple days later and started hearing a noise like driving over rumble strips. The temps were ok and it didn’t notice fluid leaking so I headed home. 2 miles down the road the passenger could smell something burning but temps were ok. When I got to my street the fans kicked on high and the dummy temp gauge started to get about 75% but not in the red yet. I assume water pump is toast. Fluid was pouring out when I shut it off. How do I know if the head gasket blew. 2014 5.0 engine? Does this make sense for water pump to fail right after pulley and tensioner replacement?

I haven’t had much time to investigate, but it looks like lots of the fluid under the pump. And under the passenger side of the vehicle.

Learn the lesson, when tensioner & idler pulley are shot the WP is not far behind, normally people replace all 3 at the same time.

Water pumps are not uncommon on the Coyote engines. replace the t-stat and all the associated seals while you are in there. Also there is a Y shaped hose with an 8566 callout on the illustrations that leaks a lot.

I have never understood why people keep driving when they start over heating. It's not gonna get better folks.
See it every day. When I took drivers ed we were taught to pull over at a safe place. Now fools just keep driving with the needle past the red zone till it locks up. Then they think that the computer shut it down. Once it gets to me the whole engine is smoked.

See it every day. When I took drivers ed we were taught to pull over at a safe place. Now fools just keep driving with the needle past the red zone till it locks up. Then they think that the computer shut it down. Once it gets to me the whole engine is smoked.
I was also taught when you pull over to let it cool down turn the heater on max heat.

Learn the lesson, when tensioner & idler pulley are shot the WP is not far behind, normally people replace all 3 at the same time.
I will be more aware of these issues now in the future. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous for a water pump tensioners and pulley to go at 65000 miles, but maybe I’ve gotten lucky. All the vehicles I have owned in the past never had cooling issues ever. Good stuff to know for the future.

Water pumps are not uncommon on the Coyote engines. replace the t-stat and all the associated seals while you are in there. Also there is a Y shaped hose with an 8566 callout on the illustrations that leaks a lot.
Ok I will check that out too. Thanks
"the passenger could smell something burning" I beg to differ.
fair enough

Finally calmed down at work a bit. This is the catalog illustration with that hose. Whenever I sell a water pump on a Coyote 5.0 I also sell the 8A571, 8255, and 8575. I have the tech take a good look at the 8566 hose also.

DR3Z-8566-B is the "y" hose and it may require a BC3Z-8590-F o-ring as well.
7T4Z-8590-A is the o-ring for the t-stat housing against the water pump
BR3Z-8255-A is the thermostat o-ring
BR3Z-8575-E is the thermostat
BR3Z-8501-R is the water pump and it should have a 3 bolt pulley stock.

Also as has been posted in the Coolant section, the Motorcraft orange VC-3B coolant is no longer available. The replacement is Motorcraft yellow VC-13G for concentrate and VC-13DLG for premix.

Attachments

• IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 54
Finally calmed down at work a bit. This is the catalog illustration with that hose. Whenever I sell a water pump on a Coyote 5.0 I also sell the 8A571, 8255, and 8575. I have the tech take a good look at the 8566 hose also.

Also as has been posted in the Coolant section, the Motorcraft orange VC-3B coolant is no longer available. The replacement is Motorcraft yellow VC-13G for concentrate and VC-13DLG for premix.
And for the members who are allergic to dealers...

DR3Z-8566-B = Gates #24857 $31.79
7T4Z-8590-A = Fel-Pro #35934 $4.01
BR3Z-8255-A = Fel-Pro #35991 $5.14
BR3Z-8575-E = Stant #49229 $6.77
BR3Z-8501-R = Gates #43016 $37.89

Thanks that helps alot

Back