F150 spring sag?

My 2018 f150 seems to be losing some of the height over the back axle. It used to have a bit more rake than it does now. Is this a thing with fords? I know the 250s are known for it in some generations.

I’ve had a camper shell on it for 4 years, and there’s probably 150 lbs in the bed on average. It sees tow duty, but not a lot, especially recently since Covid has made it impossible to reserve camping slips. I was considering putting on a fancy rear bumper, but ive decided against it as at this point, 200 lbs at the back of the bed basically has it sitting level.

this is my first ford truck. Is this normal? My 1 Gen tundra had no sag in it at 160k when I sold it.

Last edited:
they all do that, it shouldn't be excessive though. the spring is progressive, it should stiffen after a little movement.

I feel your pain (in general) OP.

I've frankenpacked most trucks I've ever owned. JY leaf or two (as long as possible with a more-or-less matching arch for best ride quality and load capacity), new center pins (I just turn down hex heads on the lathe) and 4 new u-bolts. Done.

AAL kits are mostly a joke. Leafs are too short (to keep weight down and more easily package and ship), arch is too severe because you're trying to make a short leaf add height to a MUCH longer pack.

With the gas tank likely on the driver's side, the rear end almost always tended to eventually lean to that side for my f150.. Adding a leaf or full length helpers should resolve your sagging issue as long as the sag is not leaning to one side.

Assuming leaf springs in the rear it would be simple for a somewhat mechanically inclined person to slip a wedge under each for a bit of lift. If coils, a small spacer. You probably know all this, just thinking out loud.

Ok so I’m not crazy. Thanks for the tips. Gas tank lean would probably annoy me if I realized it was there - and I don’t think it’s near that yet, plus it has a hellwig anti-sway bar back there which may reduce that some. I’ll live with it for now. Again, thanks!

Back