F150 Orange Coolant to Yellow

I have been meaning to do a coolant flush as a precaution to avoid the potential issue that apparently Ford orange (Dex-Cool) can have with heater cores over time. I found the new yellow (really lime green) on Rock Auto for $14 a gallon of concentrate. I will get this done soon. Wondering what's the realistic life of the MotorCraft yellow before a drain/fill or flush is needed?

I have been meaning to do a coolant flush as a precaution to avoid the potential issue that apparently Ford orange (Dex-Cool) can have with heater cores over time. I found the new yellow (really lime green) on Rock Auto for $14 a gallon of concentrate. I will get this done soon. Wondering what's the realistic life of the MotorCraft yellow before a drain/fill or flush is needed?

Good videos. I'm doing it preventatively. For about $50 US I have 3 gallons of concentrate and 3 gallons of distilled water. Easy peasy peace of mind. I may never have that heater core issue but it's not a job I'd be doing myself and at 2k + cost...I'll go the route of $50 and a flush. That I can do!

Good videos. I'm doing it preventatively. For about $50 US I have 3 gallons of concentrate and 3 gallons of distilled water. Easy peasy peace of mind. I may never have that heater core issue but it's not a job I'd be doing myself and at 2k + cost...I'll go the route of $50 and a flush. That I can do!
Ford charges 8.5 hours labor to replace my F-150's heater core. I have seen Ford techs back in FL. do it in 3 hours or less. The trick is, they only partially pull the dash back instead of removing it altogether. ;)

I would probably do a drain and fill followed by another drain and fill a year later. But, I no longer have the 2014 F-150. Luckily , my 2020 came with the yellow coolant.

Ford charges 8.5 hours labor to replace my F-150's heater core. I have seen Ford techs back in FL. do it in 3 hours or less. The trick is, they only partially pull the dash back instead of removing it altogether. ;)
I've seen youtube certified mechanics replace heater cores in the 97-03 F150s(even longer process than the 04-08) in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They would remove the glove box, cut a hole in the dash and jb weld the cut section back in when finished.

They advertise 10 year 200k mile life on initial fill for Motorcraft Yellow. I would assume 10 years 100k would be realistic.

It may even be worth switching to CAT silicate free ELC. That’s the type of antifreeze all of our trucks at work get. My 17 6.7 has the orange coolant in it, but I’ll be switching it over some time this winter to the CAT ELC.

I would probably do a drain and fill followed by another drain and fill a year later. But, I no longer have the 2014 F-150. Luckily , my 2020 came with the yellow coolant.

I'll do a flush now to replace most of the orange with yellow. Then every 30k a drain/fill. So easy and cheap worth it.

They advertise 10 year 200k mile life on initial fill for Motorcraft Yellow. I would assume 10 years 100k would be realistic.

There was a caveat as well. Ford says to follow the orange maintenance interval even if the move to the new yellow is made. Which I believe is 100k miles 10 years and 50k 3 years afterward.

I have my Mustang and my mom's 2014 Fusion to change over at some point. I might just go all pre-mix to make it easier on myself.

Just another project for me this upcoming summer 😎 I'll be draining the orange out and replace it with the yellow.

So Ford Orange is Dex Cool??

I think you just started an internet rumour. Can you provide some data? Ford wanted a 10 year coolant like many other manufacturers which is the main reason for their yellow coloured coolant. :)

Here’s a good place to insert an excerpt from the 2020 F-150.

167D8ABA-C607-497C-954E-37B05BA6D8AC.png

I think you just started an internet rumour. Can you provide some data? Ford wanted a 10 year coolant like many other manufacturers which is the main reason for their yellow coloured coolant. :)
There really was a tsb for transit vans about flushing the cooling system and replacing the motorcraft orange with Prestone after heater core replacement.

file:///C:/Users/service10/Downloads/TSB18-2172%20%20Heater%20Core.pdf

The current tsb just lists Motorcraft Yellow coolant instead of Prestone.

Back