F150 Ecoboost towing 14K up 6% grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3.5 Eco Boost is a fine engine. Plenty of torque on tap and good gas mileage to boot. Those things take off like a scalded cat! We had a 2016 Expedition as a rental last year, man that thing could fly! Crazy for such a large vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The F150 Ecoboost trucks are impressive, too bad they're made of aluminum, I'd never own one.

So when Chevy, Ram, Toyota, and everybody else are building their trucks out of aluminum, what brand will you buy?
Or will you keep your current wheels forever?

The EcoBoost engine is pretty stout. However I don't think I saw anyone mention that this truck is running a "5 star tow tune" which is in the description of the video. This is not a stock truck so it's not a good comparison.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
saw this right next to the tow vid...

EcoBoost

There's a reason he was fired from the Ford dealer - he literally never had anything good to say about anything Ford. Also, that's a VERY overblown issue that doesn't affect Fords nearly as much (if at all) compared to the early VW and HyundaiKia with DI.

And if you're towing 14K pounds up a 6% grade, you definitely won't have carbon deposits.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

EcoBoost

There's a reason he was fired from the Ford dealer - he literally never had anything good to say about anything Ford. Also, that's a VERY overblown issue that doesn't affect Fords nearly as much (if at all) compared to the early VW and HyundaiKia with DI.

And if you're towing 14K pounds up a 6% grade, you definitely won't have carbon deposits.

I'm a tech at a Ford dealership in Missouri. My brother in law is a tech at a different Ford dealership. Neither of us have dealt with or even seen an EcoBoost with driveability issues due to valve carbon build up. I actually brought that up with the guy in that video on a Ford trucks forum I'm in. His response was Missouri has better fuel than many surrounding states.

I can neither confirm or deny about the fuel but that was his response. I feel like if it were as common as he claims the net would be overflowing with stories from owners dealing with the issue.

Originally Posted By: adamrc
The EcoBoost engine is pretty stout. However I don't think I saw anyone mention that this truck is running a "5 star tow tune" which is in the description of the video. This is not a stock truck so it's not a good comparison.

I mentioned that he is towing well beyond the rated towing spec of the truck, and that it was modified for even more power. Both of which are not conducive to longevity.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: adamrc

I mentioned that he is towing well beyond the rated towing spec of the truck, and that it was modified for even more power. Both of which are not conducive to longevity.

The trans and coolant temps were impressive, oil temps probably were fine too. I agree with not running a power tune for longevity though.

The big slug of extra torque at low rpm must feel nice but who knows if the motor can take it, in the long term.

I have never understood why anyone would want to use a 1/2 ton pickup to pull 14K of cargo and trailer. Sure, it may do it, but what of those days when the cross wind is blowing 30-35 mph. A straight pull is one thing, but handling and braking in tough situations is another. Always seems to be someone trying to match what my semi pulls and do it with a 1/2 ton. It just seems a better overall deal to use the proper power vehicle for the weight being pulled. I'll stick with 3/4 or 1 ton to pull 14K loads.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The F150 Ecoboost trucks are impressive, too bad they're made of aluminum, I'd never own one.

So when Chevy, Ram, Toyota, and everybody else are building their trucks out of aluminum, what brand will you buy?
"When"? You seem pretty certain that they're for sure going to do that.

I'll worry about it later.

how would you explain the inspection scope video then?

So it has deposits? Do they actually affect anything?

I'm at 114k on one Ecoboost 3.5 and 78k on another. I don't doubt for a minute that there may be something on the valves. I don't care. MPG is the same (I have 114k of records on the one and since 48k on the other), they run like tops, idle smooth, and start every time, rain or shine. They may be there but they sure are not affecting anything meaningful.

I've been down this road with a catch can salesman and he assured me that the can would cure all the woes and prevent those "Scary looking pictures". He even said he ran his can on the shop's F150 since day 1. Yet he never could produce valve pictures of the truck...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
how would you explain the inspection scope video then?

So it has deposits? Do they actually affect anything?

I'm at 114k on one Ecoboost 3.5 and 78k on another. I don't doubt for a minute that there may be something on the valves. I don't care. MPG is the same (I have 114k of records on the one and since 48k on the other), they run like tops, idle smooth, and start every time, rain or shine. They may be there but they sure are not affecting anything meaningful.

I've been down this road with a catch can salesman and he assured me that the can would cure all the woes and prevent those "Scary looking pictures". He even said he ran his can on the shop's F150 since day 1. Yet he never could produce valve pictures of the truck...

Exactly! My truck and Fusion are both EcoBoost and at about 40k miles. I'm sure a borescope would show that the valves are dirty. It has yet to have any effect on performance. So why worry about fixing what's not broken.

We also see some construction company fleet trucks come in all over 100k. No issues due to deposits on those either.

https://jalopnik.com/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-is-getting-a-diesel-1822054268
QUOTE: Chevy’s half-ton truck is getting a 3.0 liter Duramax diesel engine and a whole bunch of aluminum.
So is it time to worry? Bwah, ha, ha...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
That's amazing a 3.5 can tow that much. I just got back from a trip to WV (Interstate 68, which has some very steep grades) and towed about 6,500# with my 4.3 Chevy. I had a pickup truck on a U-Haul car hauler. Needless to say it was straining.

I could believe it on those older 4.3's. Still: was it to the floor, or was it just spinning at high rpm? IIRC the 4L60 was the real limitation; big gear splits.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It wouldn't be easy to put a turbo in the Vee of the GM 4.3. It's pretty busy in there with the balance shaft and oil manifold for the AFM system. I was thinking more along the lines of one turbo mounted outside each bank.

Gotcha. Bummer. Well, it's certainly doable, although I guess the move today is towards higher boost and smaller engines.

You all do remember the GMC Syclone and Typhoon - that was a turbo 4.3 and fast. Just jogged my memory there lol

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have never understood why anyone would want to use a 1/2 ton pickup to pull 14K of cargo and trailer. Sure, it may do it, but what of those days when the cross wind is blowing 30-35 mph. A straight pull is one thing, but handling and braking in tough situations is another. Always seems to be someone trying to match what my semi pulls and do it with a 1/2 ton. It just seems a better overall deal to use the proper power vehicle for the weight being pulled. I'll stick with 3/4 or 1 ton to pull 14K loads.

I often wondered about that myself. A 1/2 ton pickup truck is a poor choice for hauling a 14K load.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: Miller88

EcoBoost

I'm a tech at a Ford dealership in Missouri. My brother in law is a tech at a different Ford dealership. Neither of us have dealt with or even seen an EcoBoost with driveability issues due to valve carbon build up. I actually brought that up with the guy in that video on a Ford trucks forum I'm in. His response was Missouri has better fuel than many surrounding states.

I can neither confirm or deny about the fuel but that was his response. I feel like if it were as common as he claims the net would be overflowing with stories from owners dealing with the issue.
Glad to have the talent on board.

https://jalopnik.com/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-is-getting-a-diesel-1822054268
QUOTE: Chevy’s half-ton truck is getting a 3.0 liter Duramax diesel engine and a whole bunch of aluminum.
So is it time to worry? Bwah, ha, ha...
You reply back 8 months later
crackmeup2.gif
You've got a good memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back