F10 M5 (S63Tu) oil

I have a 2013 M5, which is a direct injected, "hot V" twin turbo V8. I have been running Castrol Edge 0w40 since 2019, despite the loss of LL01, as there didn't seem to be a clearly better choice and the oil consumption was significantly less than what the dealership had put in (guessing M1 0w30 or 5w30). Now that we're knocking on 2022, is there anything else I should be looking at? Car is garaged in the winter and thus unlikely to see any starting temps below the mid 50s. I want whatever will protect it best (the "hot V" gets, well, hot) as well as try to limit the consumption/buildup on valves.

Anything that beats out Edge 0w40?

S63 had oil consumption issues due to valve stem like the N63 so perhaps your model should've been part of the bulletin. . Notice and How To Guide.

Motul, Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Pentosin, etc all have oils under the new LL01 standard. You could also look at LL04.

For storage I'm sure you have a battery tender, if not that's what I would look at.

S63 had oil consumption issues due to valve stem like the N63 so perhaps your model should've been part of the bulletin. . Notice and How To Guide.

Motul, Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Pentosin, etc all have oils under the new LL01 standard. You could also look at LL04.

For storage I'm sure you have a battery tender, if not that's what I would look at.
Not Mobil.

I'd run Mobil 1 15W-50 with an HTHS of 4.5 and not even worry about LL approvals.....

Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5W-40​

Specifications and Approvals​

This product has the following approvals:
BMW Longlife 01
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
I don't think that is sold anymore.

Stay with Castrol 0W40! Whether you are driving in winter or not is irrelevant when it comes to use of this oil.
Castrol did not change 0W40 formula for several years. BMW did update LL01 in 2018. So, nothing changed in oil from time it was LL01 and was “recommended “ to be used in S63. Don’t complicate it.

Stay with Castrol 0W40! Whether you are driving in winter or not is irrelevant when it comes to use of this oil.
Castrol did not change 0W40 formula for several years. BMW did update LL01 in 2018. So, nothing changed in oil from time it was LL01 and was “recommended “ to be used in S63. Don’t complicate it.
Is the new ll-02
The new ll-01 isn’t better? I’ve been using the Castrol 5w40 in 2 BMWs

I’d follow the advice of edyvw and go with the Castrol 0w40. A few weeks back I swapped out OEM M Power 5w30 for Castrol 0w40. His advice kept me from using Motul 5w30 LL01FE oil in my car for which I am grateful. Now I just have to find a home for that oil!

I’d follow the advice of edyvw and go with the Castrol 0w40. A few weeks back I swapped out OEM M Power 5w30 for Castrol 0w40. His advice kept me from using Motul 5w30 LL01FE oil in my car for which I am grateful. Now I just have to find a home for that oil!
Motul LL01 FE is borderline LL01 oil. HTHS is 3.4. But, I wouldn’t use it is N/S63. That Motul IMO is attempt by Motul to be LL01FE compliant but deliver protection of LL01.

Back