F1 Radio Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like there's been some clarifications on what radio messages will be allowed in F1 under "Article 20.1 of the sporting regulations." Check the article. Things could sound different this weekend, to say the least.

Now that they mention it, it does seem that the driver has been getting more and more information incrementally from the wall.

Maybe each team will have to do their radio communications through a lawyer to make sure they follow the rules.

And for those that doubt that a driver has to have a good car to have a chance at the podium regardless of his abilities take a look at the season Sebastian Vettel a 4 time champion is having.

I think these new rules will add more variability to the races. I can't say whether or not it's for the best. One thing: can the team talk to the driver/ vice verse about rain on the track? A lot of times when it rains, it might only be on a certain portion of the track, so they'll communicate back and forth to figure out when to pit, what tire to use, etc.

Hmmm, I think they will have to go to HUD for the driver, and just display all the information he needs to adjust the drive system as he goes. That may reward a driver who really understands how his car works, especially in the later stages of a race.
Having the driver know exactly where his teammate is making time up does take some of the skill and racecraft out of the sport.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
One thing: can the team talk to the driver/ vice verse about rain on the track?

I think they can discuss track conditions. That could even be considered a safety issue.

Originally Posted By: OneEyedJack
Now the teams will have to devise coded messages.

Coded messages will be strictly forbidden. No more "Multi 21" or anything like that.
wink.gif
Also, no instructions about brake balance or fuel savings, either.

Indylan: I think you're right on HUD, or at least some sort of display. Obviously, the drivers have enough to do now, but some of what they're told by their engineers could easily be done by gauges and warning lights in the cockpit. Unfortunately, it would mean more to check, but their point is that radio isn't supposed to be a copilot.

And now, Bernie or Charlie or someone caved and they've relaxed things until next season. Maybe the BBC didn't want all the interesting radio messages to disappear yet either, given that the onboard lap coverage this year has been far from stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back