F1 comining to NJ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if they'll alternate between Jersey and Austin, just like Japan does with Suzuka and Fuji.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'm wondering if they'll alternate between Jersey and Austin, just like Japan does with Suzuka and Fuji.

Not sure, but I'd tend to speculate the same thing. F1 brass were saying they didn't want to add much more than one race to the overall schedule.

That area is kind of grungy, depending on exactly what section of it they use (some is wild wetlands), and yes, depending on where they set the course there are some decent hills in that area.

They may have to fix up the surrounds somewhat if they expect the jet-setting, uber-elitist, international F1 crowd to show up and be satisfied.
wink.gif

Oh the continuing saga of F1 in America. Bernie financially abuses everybody that wants to put on his races. Watkins Glen is the true home of F1 in the US, but they couldn't afford the sanctioning fee's and track upgrades that the FIA demanded. Then the race went gypsy, going to Long Beach, Vegas, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, and Indy. (Have I left any out?) They really shot themselves in the foot when they put on the 6-car race at Indy.

I wonder if Bernie is hedging his bets in case the Austin track doesn't get built. They have already delayed the inaugural race to as late in the season as they can get. And there have been delays in the funding, so construction has only been proceeding sporadically.

Harman:
Great points. I think that there's also a possibility that Bernie might end up playing the two proposed events against each other (maybe he read-up on the Al Davis "Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders" technique to constantly re-negotiate deals.

Since I live in SoCal, I wish the race would return to Long Beach, but I'll agree with you that it really belongs in Watkins Glen. Whenever I see current races on TV at that track, I immediately recall photos of P. Hill, Clark, et al.

As cool as Long Beach would be, I think what they need to do for Long Beach is have IndyCar with Aussie V8 running support. Then have Aussie V8 run support for F1 at Texas. The US market is real huge for F1, maybe dump the Korean GP to have the 2 rounds in the US.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The US market is real huge for F1, maybe dump the Korean GP to have the 2 rounds in the US.

That would be a real kick in the pants for the Koreans. That track is rather new, as is the Korean GP itself.

The US market is real huge for F1

Are you sure? Most people I know (sports and non-sports fans included) don't really even have a clue what Formula 1 is. And even if they do, good luck with them being able to name a driver other than Michael Schumacher, if that even.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The US market is real huge for F1, maybe dump the Korean GP to have the 2 rounds in the US.

That would be a real kick in the pants for the Koreans. That track is rather new, as is the Korean GP itself.

The Korean facility is meh at best according to the articles I have read. Apparently when some of the teams arrived this year there was still food in the fridges from last year.

AS ford the US market being huge, its the potential market. If they advertise it right F1 can be huge here.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
The US market is real huge for F1

Are you sure? Most people I know (sports and non-sports fans included) don't really even have a clue what Formula 1 is. And even if they do, good luck with them being able to name a driver other than Michael Schumacher, if that even.

It's that way for any/all 'Euro'/Euro-type sports here, sadly (cycling, futbol, Moto GP, WRC, etc.).
frown.gif

If it is not the 'stick and ball' (or very violent; MMA, UFC, boxing, etc.) sports that most Americans were brought up on, and dogmatized to love exclusively, good luck with selling it to this crowd.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

You may be right about that, but you can't expect F1 to ignore a country with that population and relative wealth, either. The US is not a market to ignore.

The Korean facility is meh at best according to the articles I have read. Apparently when some of the teams arrived this year there was still food in the fridges from last year.

The drivers have had a couple issues, too, if I recall correctly. Still, a lot of money was invested in the facility and getting the race there in the first place. As for the food, the teams should have taken their leftovers home with them.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back