F1 accident

Lucky he wasn't knocked out and burned up. See that doctor that was reaching for him? He had to stop before he reached him because of the heat. That ugly titanium halo kept his head from squishing like a grape.

Can't believe they depend on 1930s vintage Armco barrier technology with pointy nose open wheel cars. Indycar has proven the SAFER barrier (basically a 3/16 thick rectangular steel tubing over a resilient elastomer wedges) to absorb incredible 200mph impacts without penetration and/or tearing the car apart.

Can't believe they depend on 1930s vintage Armco barrier technology with pointy nose open wheel cars. Indycar has proven the SAFER barrier (basically a 3/16 thick rectangular steel tubing over a resilient elastomer wedges) to absorb incredible 200mph impacts without penetration and/or tearing the car apart.
I think you only see the Armco barriers in sections of the track that are changeable for lack of a batter term. That track has multiple configurations. Ideally there should be a tire barrier in front of the Armco barrier.

I think we all have to give thanks to Professor Sid Watkins and Sir Jackie Stewart for pushing F1, the FIA, and the former FISA, for safety advancements in Formula One that has trickled down to other series. I personally would like to see the Medical Car be used in IndyCar and NASCAR on road courses on the opening lap, especially on longer courses like Road America and COTA.

That ugly titanium halo kept his head from squishing like a grape.
I'm not sure if it would have gotten squished. The consensus seems to be it would have been a decapitation.

I was watching the race (on a short delay from DVR) and the crash and fire were broadcast as part of the camera angle at that point but it took them what seemed like a long time to go back to cameras that were on the scene. I'm sure they were concerned about what they would show.

I'm not sure if it would have gotten squished. The consensus seems to be it would have been a decapitation.

I was watching the race (on a short delay from DVR) and the crash and fire were broadcast as part of the camera angle at that point but it took them what seemed like a long time to go back to cameras that were on the scene. I'm sure they were concerned about what they would show.
I am thankful that he is ok. Retire with his wife and 3 kids. I remember the bad old days of F1 and other forms of racing. Technology is great!

Right. F1/FOM/FIA always talk smack about safety but they still let tracks run that 70’s death trap stuff, and were late to adopt HANS after CART, IRL and even NASCAR.

Back