F-150 Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what oil this truck uses? This is one fast truck!
smile.gif

Previous factory fill was 5w30 prior to the Ford switch to 5w20. If I remember correctly, 5w20 was also recommended in this engine, though you won't find many who are running that. Most are runinng 10w30.

For those who don't know, the lightning is one fast Ford F150! A supercharged 5.4l SOHC V8 that is rated at 380hp and it can still tow your boat on the weekends. Thats my kind of ride!
grin.gif

A friend of mine just bought a Silverado with the 8.0L 496 big block and was telling how fast the Ford Lightning is. I want a truck within a year or two and the Ford is very tempting. I wouldnt run the 5w-20 in this truck. It's supercharged and I think Amosoil or Redline would be the best choice in this beast.

Friend with the Silverado said he runs a 10w-40 and gets better oil pressure when racing. He also runs 10w-30.
shocked.gif

[ May 11, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

I did confirm that the oil recommendation in the Lightnings was indeed 5w30 until the swtich to 5w20. The Lightnings also made the swtich. Imagine that - a 380 hp V8 using 5w20! If you ask on a lightning board, you will get a million different answers on what they use. Anything from 0w20 to 20w50 and up.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
I did confirm that the oil recommendation in the Lightnings was indeed 5w30 until the swtich to 5w20. The Lightnings also made the swtich. Imagine that - a 380 hp V8 using 5w20! If you ask on a lightning board, you will get a million different answers on what they use. Anything from 0w20 to 20w50 and up.

Don't any of these guys do oil analysis though? I still find it hard to believe how many car enthusiasts out there that are super concerned about what oil they run, yet they don't do UOAs.

Agreed! If they are doing UOA's, I sure haven't been seeing them. Too bad!

I think they look at it as should I spend 20 or 30 bucks on a decent analysis or should I just change out every 3,000 miles and spend the analysis money on go fast goodies!

quote:

Imagine that - a 380 hp V8 using 5w20! If you ask on a lightning board, you will get a million different answers on what they use. Anything from 0w20 to 20w50 and up.

Thats to bad...I would love to see these visc. compared. I'm still not convinced a thinner oil is a bad thing. Viscosity might not have an impact on wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back