Eye Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had cataract surgery (both eyes, done 3 weeks apart) last year. My daughter kept egging me to get the multifocal intraocular lenses but I eventually decided to go for the monofocal type because of too much risk of glare and halos from oncoming headlights when driving at night. Oh yeah, the lenses were of the Toric type as, like you, I had a lot of astigmatism. I had a very good ophthalmologist, as he asked whether I wanted the final result to have a focus for far or near (reading) distances. (Lens implants are not living tissue and do not flex to change focus or accommodation.) In the end, he put in a lens for distance vision in my right eye, and a lens for near vision in my left eye. So I use my left eye for reading a newspaper or book, and the right eye for watching TV or driving. Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
So I use my left eye for reading a newspaper or book, and the right eye for watching TV or driving. Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

Seriously ?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: berniedd
So I use my left eye for reading a newspaper or book, and the right eye for watching TV or driving. Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

Seriously ?
crazy2.gif

It's a pretty common thing done with lasik surgery, or even with contact lenses.

Yeah, I don't understand the half-and-half either. I went for distance in both eyes. I asked the optometrist what he'd go for, he said both near.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Yeah, I don't understand the half-and-half either. I went for distance in both eyes. I asked the optometrist what he'd go for, he said both near.

It works for some people as a way to have both good far and near sightedness without any kind of corrective glasses. If someone gets Lasik in both eyes for far sightedness, then most likely they will need reading glasses for good close up vision.

I get the premise of one eye for distance, one for proximity, but after a lifetime of near sightedness I don't think I could adjust to that. Plus I have allergies (grass, pollen, who knows what else), and some mornings one eye takes a few hours to focus properly. Or it's just prone to eye gunk. To each their own, but when it happens to me I'll likely go monovision. I might prefer nearsightedness again, it'd be very weird to be able to see distance without glasses--but to need glasses to see what was in my hands?

Trav,
As you may know, cataract surgery is one of the most, if not THE most, common surgical procedures done in the US. Much has been improved and streamlined with cataract surgery and implants over the years, so that it has almost become assembly line surgery.
I'd suggest that you follow pre and post operative instructions as well as possible, and should anything out of the expected normal during the post op period occur, which is quite unlikely to happen, you notify your ophthalmologist's office immediately.
Choosing between the single vision lens implant and multi-focal lens implant might be your most difficult decision to make. It might be worth the while to have a private discussion with your eye care provider, not necessarily the cataract surgeon, what they advise and what, if any, good experiences, or complaints they have heard over the years from patients who have undergone the procedure.
Best of luck to you, and I'll be rooting for you as well.

Good luck with the lens replacement surgery, Trav. My dad has to have it also done. He's not the kind of person to ask his doctors a whole lot of questions. His surgeon wants to use a single focus Alcon lens with UV filter. With the eye corrected for far vision, which is what he wants, I wonder what will be the closest distance at which he will not require glasses. Does anybody know from experience? For example, when driving, will he be able to read the gauges and the radio controls with vision corrected for far vision and a single focus lens? They did tell him that for reading he will definitely need reading glasses. He is not worried, but I am. Comments might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back