ExxonMobil and Group II+

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statement in this article that ExxonMobil is the largest North American source of Group II+ should cast serious doubts about the persistant rumor that Mobil Drive Clean oil is made with Group I base oil.

Interesting. The relative prices of GrI/II/II+/III base stocks really illustrates what a rip off Gr III finished oils are. It is unlikely that differences in the additive packages can account for ~$1.10 (Gr II/II+) vs ~$4.00 (Gr III synthetic)pricing.

It is also unlikely that Mobil Drive Clean can attain its present specs without a significant amount of Gr II base.

I didn't think Drive Clean's specs were all that great except for the cleaning factor which is an attribute of group I. Maybe Exxon's a very inexpensive group II+. If Mobil isn't group I where's all that production going?

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I didn't think Drive Clean's specs were all that great except for the cleaning factor which is an attribute of group I. Maybe Exxon's a very inexpensive group II+. If Mobil isn't group I where's all that production going?

The "cleaning factor" in Drive Clean is from the heavy dose of calcium in the additive package not the base oil.

What other Drive Clean specs have you observed that you would attribute to it being a Group I over a Group II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back