Exxon Superflow 20w50, 73 miles, 01YZ250F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exxon Superflow 20w50 raced for 73.3 miles in a 2001 Yamaha YZ250F.
Testing done by Blackstone Labs on 10/18/05.

INSOLUBLES: .2%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: FLASHPOINT IN F: 405
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 F: 81.7

ALUMINUM 28
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 8
COPPER 1
LEAD 201
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 76
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 4
SILICON 7
SODIUM 1
CALCIUM 1562
MAGNESIUM 6
PHOSPHORUS 689
ZINC 850
BARIUM 0

was within 0.3 of staying in grade. a very very good showing for a dino oil and whipped the pants off of MANY oils that cost 5-7 times as much.

Wow your clutch had to be slipping with the moly being 76.
wink.gif
I have been running the new DELO in my RMZ 450, moly content is in the 200 range clutch has no problems hooking. Just wan't to say thanks for sharing all of these UOA,being a mx motor,UOA are hard to come buy. The 06 is looking sweet .
Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"

keith,
you are not even close. the moly has ZERO impact on my clutch.
that said, my clutch pressure plate is not stock either. it is an EFM no-stall autoclutch ( EFM ) and it is made of billet aluminum. it generates about 3 times the clamping force compared to stock and tends to micro flake the surface into the oil. it is not a problem and neither is Al ppm reading. i have had this setup for 3 years now.

I was being sarcastic look at how much moly I am running in my 450,guess you missed the joke.

Again thanks for showing us UOA especially from a mx thumper!!!!!!!!!

Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"

you are welcome keith.

if you have read over all of them that i have posted, you will see a VERY apparent thread in that bikes tend to shear the crap of oil. well, most of them anyway. and not only that, but that sometimes (cough exxon superflow cough) the cheapest oil performs better than the most expensive (cough amsoil cough royal purple cough mobil 1 cough). boy the dust from yesterdays race is really bad on the lungs.
wink.gif

i wonder how the texaco havoline 10w40 i used held up. uh oh, must be time for another uoa!!!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sunruh:
you are welcome keith.

if you have read over all of them that i have posted, you will see a VERY apparent thread in that bikes tend to shear the crap of oil. well, most of them anyway. and not only that, but that sometimes (cough exxon superflow cough) the cheapest oil performs better than the most expensive (cough amsoil cough royal purple cough mobil 1 cough). boy the dust from yesterdays race is really bad on the lungs.
wink.gif

i wonder how the texaco havoline 10w40 i used held up. uh oh, must be time for another uoa!!!
grin.gif

LOL,Yes I have looked over everyone of them,it proves just as I thought.For motorcycle application especially MX OR HARE SCRAMBLES,where a rider like myself performs frequent oil changes.You are better off using a good petroleum oil (money wise)and protection wise.I myself stand-by mobil delvac 1300 and delo 400 my personal favorite. Owners of motorcycles who use synthetics thinking they can go a little longer before dropping the oil are really fooling themselves.Thinking of doing a UOA of the DELO 400 or Mobil delvac 1300?

keith,
there are clearly 2 types of bike motors: the big lumbering, low rpm (harley, *** cruiser ....) and the high performance, high rpm (crotch rocket and mx dirt). they have vastly different requirements they need for an oil. sort of like a chebby bb vs a i4 w/turbo.

i've "noticed" the mobil delvac 1300 on the store at wallyworld. it seems to have a decent price, but still more than the havoline jug (that has 1 more qt in it). with what i've found with exxon superflow (and hopefully with havoline) i don't think i need to do anymore testing.

at least in the high strung bikes, your assessment is bullseye dead on.

I know the Delvac is 6.50 a gallon and the Delo is 7.40 a gallon.These are great prices compared to all motorcycle sub par oils. 5 qrts in the havoline that is absolutely awesome at that price also being a dam good oil!!!!!!!

Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"

my wallyworld had the havoline for 6.76 for 5 qts. pepboys has the superflow right now for .79 qt with coupon and rebate.
so an oil change costs me $1.36 and i've proven how good the stuff i'm putting in is.

Going with the 20/50? I wish Delo,and Delvac had a straight 40.

Keith
"LET'S JUST RIDE"

i bought a case of the 10w40 last night for use this winter. it is a whopping $1.12 with the coupon ($5.60 5qts for the math impared). i put the rebate in the mailbox that gives back $4.80. this is the SL version of the oil. maybe that is why the price difference between it and the identical mobil clean 5000 (i didn't look at those bottles). even if i never get the rebate back, 112 lincoln's is pretty cheap for an oil of this quality. yeah, i haven't seen any sae40. i can easily get sae50 and sae60 (valvoline vr1).

10W-40 Havoline then? I used it after Rotella T-syn as a 'rinse' this spring and it got pretty beat up after 500 miles. My bike ('86 Suzuki 550) is for commuting though (30 min @ 40 mph). The Shell will last to 2000 miles. My prediction is it will shear down. What are the ratings on the label?

Different world, rg144.
Look at how many miles were on this UOA.
And the bike is a 14,000rpm mini-monster with a Formula 1 type engine that shares fluid with the wet clutch.

sunruh,
I;m curious about the silicon level. Seal?

jaybird,
if you could (cough) see the amount of dust we were in, you'd think that 7 for si is really really low. and i use a pre-filter as well. try 40mph, down a gravel road and at times following 1-3 other bikes. you have to hang back about 30 yards of else you cannot see. 50 yards back to just see their helmet.
the air filter looked like it had been on the ground of a construction site when i changed it.
offroad racing puts a demand on the air filter that few can comprehend. i'll try to get a pic of a dirty filter.

thanks, you are most welcome.
knowing what i do (some, but not enough) about the workings of a outboard, i can only imagine how well they thrash an oil, but at least NO dust. ha ha.
i'm sure those guys should be changing oil every use and not the multi-time use they do.
wink.gif

20W-50 for $0.79! Sheesh!

sunruh, how long does your bike sit between race/practice days?

Since one of the other selling points for MC specific oils is the rust protection it offers. For someone like me who only rides 3 or 4 days a month I wonder how much I have to worry about my bikes insides rusting????

I'm wondering what advantage an oil @ $5 - $11.00, cough motorex must be made out of gold, has over and oil like this that seems to do a fine job and for a FRACTION of the cost????

Comments/advice from any of the forum sponsors would be appretiated.

Thanks in advance.

[ November 19, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: kzoo ]

here is a typical schedule for me and my bike:
saturday, race practice at harescramble track. 1 hour max. usually i do just 1 lap to get some visual clues and spot any tricky situation.
sunday, 2+ hour harescramble. usually we start at 11am and i finish at about 1:15-1:25pm.
maybe wash the bike when i get home (if muddy) otherwise not.
next sunday (7 days) i practice at a lease i belong too. wash bike when i get home.
monday - friday i prep for next race. i like to start draining the oil on monday and refill on tuesday.
so the new oil sits for 4 days before the motor is started with it.
i have NEVER even considered rust forming on the inside of my motor no matter how long it has sat (most i think has been 3 full weeks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back