Exxon Superflo Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:
I bet many key specs have changed as they did with Pennzoil. My hunch is the changes reflect Group III base oil properties vs. PAO in the older formulations. Dated comparisons aren't necessarily valid.
frown.gif

Call me cranky but, as a matter of principle, I won't buy an oil with an outdated spec sheet.
mad.gif

Can't even find a spec sheet on Castrol Syntec.

I had to get Castrol to snail mail me all the specs on their SL oils. I posted a thread about that the other day actually.

It appears that exxon superflo(& Chevron synth also) synthetic actually outguns Mobil 1 in some parameters...according to the motor oil bible. However I've seen different numbers on other websites. Exxon's website needs updating as they have ILSAC GF-2 rating still
rolleyes.gif
. I did run the search on this forum but did'nt find to much relevant info on the synthetic formula. TIA

I bet many key specs have changed as they did with Pennzoil. My hunch is the changes reflect Group III base oil properties vs. PAO in the older formulations. Dated comparisons aren't necessarily valid.
frown.gif

Call me cranky but, as a matter of principle, I won't buy an oil with an outdated spec sheet.
mad.gif

Can't even find a spec sheet on Castrol Syntec. Their site seems flashy with no substance. Mobil won't post Noack numbers. When I called they quickly said somewhere between 10 and 12. Sounded somewhat shifty though. I don't trust what I don't see in print with these OTC oil companies.

[ July 21, 2002, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

yeah, ill attest to the 'goodness' of Exxon Superflow Synthetic: its really nice oil. however, when you find some, let me know! Autozone was the only place that carried it and they dont know if they ever will again! great! always my luck!
mad.gif

VaderSS, I think you're right about Superflo not having SSyn in it. Superflo's flashpt is about 20 degrees higher than M1. Autozone is the only one around here that carries it, then again I have'nt been there in awhile they might not have it anymore. Does'nt appear as if the public is ready to pay synth prices just yet.

just a note about Exxon synthetic prices: $3.30/qt. Now, thats really NOT bad for a synthetic or facsimile thereof!

Exxon has a 30 cent/quart rebate on Superflo oil in effect 'till June 30,2003.I called Exxon Marketing Technical Services and was reassured that is is groupIV&V base oil,not processed dino.
Mark

Appears Exxon is pushing their oil. Went into a K-mart this morning and saw their regular SL dinos for .79 cents a quart.

All the autozone stores recently re-did their oil plan. My store has stopped carrying the exxon, although we do carry Ow40 mobil 1 now.

I don't think my store ever sold a single quart of superflo.

[ August 08, 2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: neonmike22 ]

About a year or so ago the Ames department store chain in the Northeast stopped selling the Exxon synthetic. My local store was selling their remaining stock for $1.99 a quart. I only bought two cases thinking it was junk. Where was this forum then when I needed it???
Another lost opportunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back