Exxon Mobil Base Stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Neat document...I've put it in my favorite places bin...

I thought that bin was overflowing with GC 0w30, how could you fit anything else in it??
grin.gif

Mobil/exxon uses blends of their 4, 40, and 100 cSt (@100 C) base oils, along with their esters and proprietary additive packages, to make all kinds of lubes in various viscosities.

One has to use a computerized Groff chart, with a database of all possible fluid chracteristics, to properly blend a set of base oils in order to achieve a formulated oil from a base target.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003605

[ September 29, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Interestingly, some of the producers of PAOs don't use them to a great extend. ChevronTexaco and ConocoPhillips are some with their ChevronPhillips Chemical Co. producing PAO.

Ken

Ken2,

I am assuming you're referring to "One has to use a computerized Groff chart, ..."

The Groff chart may be an internal, computerized equivalent of the Groff chart. Otherwise, blending calculations take a long time to do by hand.

Also, EM is one of the few companies that can produce intermediate and heavy viscosites of PAO's.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Neat document...I've put it in my favorite places bin...

I thought that bin was overflowing with GC 0w30, how could you fit anything else in it??
grin.gif

Pat,

The bin is NEVER overflowing with GC...in fact, its usually NOT QUITE FULL....enough.
grin.gif

'Kule,

Remind me please...who are the primary suppliers of synthetic base oils to the "world"... ExxonMobil, Shell and Chevron...others? Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Ken2,

I am assuming you're referring to "One has to use a computerized Groff chart, ..."

No, just making a comment about oils. I meant that some makers of PAO use GR-III, not their own PAO in their syn oil.

Ken

Good find, Al. I thought it was interesting that the VI of the PAOs kept improving as the viscosity increased. For example, The VI of the 4.1cSt SHF-41 is 126. The VI of the 2800cSt SuperSyn PAO, SS 23000, is 360.

Also, the pour point of the 4.1cSt PAO, SHF-41, is -66C or -87F. That's better than any of Mobil's esters and way better than any of their 4cSt esters.

Forgive me if this has been posted before-but I think it is good reference information on properties of Group I,II, III, IV, V Base Stocks (it includes the very heavy SuperSyn Stocks). I think its interesting if you lok at the Group IV SHF-101 (PAO) its real close to the Mobil 1 5W/10W-30. Its not too hard to figure out that if you add some heavy SS(SuperSyn 2150, and some Esterex A32 mou have the finished Mobil 1 5W'10W-30. Just a wild guess here
grin.gif

Mobil Group I-V

I would appreciate Lord Molakule's comments here

It would seem that presently Mobil is not in the Group lll business, but they certainly want to be. Thanks for the link Al , interesting stuff. As far as your formula, I don't have a clue. Maybe someone with some oil savvy will venture a thought.
GregH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back