Extremely Dirty PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally did the PSF change on the Rendezvous. Never has been changed, so it was in for at least 7 years. I got the white bottle of Valvoline PSF (which is completely clear in color), 2 quarts to just do siphon and refills.
Its so cramped in the back of the reservoir to do a complete drain like I wanted so I decided to just do the siphoning. Way easier and less messy.
Put the siphon in the black reservoir and pulled up the fluid. It was blacker than used oil! It was even crudding up on the bottom of PSF cap. Since I had 2 quarts and it only took 8oz on each drain and fill so I ended up doing 7.
The last one was finally a nice light brown. I am going to get another quart and do a few more drain and fills in a few weeks.
The steering is much smoother now and moving the wheel doesn't feel so tough now. Drives really nice.
Any suggestions, for why it would be that grossly dirty, other than just never changed?

Maybe it turned dark from the heat?

I just changed the PSF in my 2007 Civic (95K miles) and it looked like used motor oil. I removed the low pressure hose going to the rack and pumped it out, zero mess and very easy. I used AAP fluid for Hondas and noticed a big difference with all the old fluid flushed out.

I found a different in steering feel with the Lubegard steering fluid supplement vs. just new fluid. I put a Magnefine in line filter in the steering return line, and the fluid has stayed cleaner...and we have 198,000 miles on the Volvo rack & pinion system with no repairs.

Bits of hose and oil seals tend to add black deposits in the system, even if the system is not wearing abnormally.

I also suspect that the OE PSF in GM cars is cheap, because when compared to other cars, it is usually darker than most. Some Fords heavily stain the PSF, but they usually have ATF, so that isn't a fair comparison.

Heat and debris from seals will turn it dark.
Who knows what percentage is in yours.
You did a great maintenance service - lots of benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back