Extreme Sludge, 305 SBC Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It's a little cleaner. I wouldn't change the seals until you're done with flushes, cleaners, etc. Then take it apart, do the final cleaning, install the new seals and call it a day.

+1 and does appear to be bit cleaner
smile.gif

I had an old Crown Vic that was slugged up like this, was driven two many short trips and never allowed to heat up. I ran a 3k or less oil change interval or so. I used that cheap $.75. a quart 10W-40 Wal-Mart used to have back in the day. It didn't burn oil but leaked it so when it got about a quart low I just dumped in Marvel Mystery Oil, drove it for like a week then changed the oil.

I got the car with 58k miles and eventually had to replace the valve cover gaskets at around 100k but it was substantially cleaner by this point it just took several years, but I stopped the MMO because I didn't want to mess with the new gaskets. Not gonna say it was perfect but nothing like it initially was.

Car ran fine and rusted to the point where I unloaded it with 128k miles.

Originally Posted By: Madmax908
I had the valve cover off again today in an effort to change the seals.
The piece of junk valve compressor I bought did not work well for my application and I was unable to pull the springs & change the seals.
I did take off the #2 rockers/pushrods in trying to get at the seals, and cleaned them before re-installing.
I did vaccuum up any sludge that was in the lifter valley, and the oil returns.
I say sludge because the "granules" are now gone and oil doesnt collect and sit in the head.
The oil is now a slightly darker amber color so I think there is more dirt in the suspension of the oil.

Is the BG, is it the Rotella? I don't know, but the valvetrain did look cleaner to me.
What do you think?

Before:

After:

I think it's coming right along. Very good progress
smile.gif

I can't believe nobody has said this yet.........BG109 isn't a quick flush product. It's meant to be in the sump for an entire OCI. That was a complete waste of the product. I'd have used the MOA (BG110) for a full OCI and a nice consistent and slow cleaning. That stuff does work on sludge like that but you have to use it properly.

If this old 305 was my engine, I'd just use Supertech high mileage and a supertech filter for short intervals of around 1000-1500 miles until the sludge under the valve covers is flushed away. Replace the valve seals and keep oil in it and it'll last forever, though.

Two words. Crate Engine. Sure its not the cheapest way to remove sludge but its far more fun.

Quote:
2003GPW
I can't believe nobody has said this yet.........BG109 isn't a quick flush product. It's meant to be in the sump for an entire OCI.

Um, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I followed the directions on the can...

Nope. EPR is the new street name for BG109 and EPR has that as its product number ...

I suspect the directions are so that folks are not drivi9ng around with highly volatile solvents contaminating the air, as in SMOG rules. But, no matter what the can says, I'd run it for at least a week. Well, I personally run it for a full oil change interval.

I like BG109 (EPR) as it's slightly less aggressive than KREEN. It seems to work very well and has for many years among my fellow local users
smile.gif

The can says "in as little as 10 minutes" It doesn't say "it WILL clean in just 10 minutes". Make the distinction there.

I would run it AT LEAST a week for sure, making sure it gets heated up real good. Maybe a month...

10-15 minutes is a waste of product and time.

Precisely! The consensus here has always been that there really isn't anything that can be effective in 10 minutes unless it's incredibly harsh stuff that could do other incidental damage. 109 will do a great job over a complete interval. Better yet, two consecutive intervals. Just change your filter more often. When I worked at a Toyota dealer, that's how our rep explained it to us. BG does have a couple fast flush type products, but 109 isn't one of them.

Quote:
2003GPW
I can't believe nobody has said this yet.........BG109 isn't a quick flush product. It's meant to be in the sump for an entire OCI.

It also says: "Do not use on engines with excessive sludge!" Your engine seems to qualify.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

The can says "in as little as 10 minutes" It doesn't say "it WILL clean in just 10 minutes". Make the distinction there.

You're confusing the advertising with the directions. Make the distinction there.

Quote:
DIRECTIONS FOR USE: ...run engine for 10 minutes at 1200 rpm. Shut off engine, drain oil and remove old oil filter.

With those directions, I figured if I left it in for any longer, all of the sludge would have been loosened and clogged the oil pump.

For now the oil is only slightly darker in color so I suspect more of the sludge will be in the filter.
I've installed a oil pressure guage and have about 30psi at idle.
I can keep an eye on it, in case it starts to drop.

Fill to the brim with a 50/50 mix of acetone and diesel and drain after 24 hours, then completely disassemble and jet wash all parts.
Allow to dry and manually clean.
Reassemble.

Nae, excessive sludge is where you can't see the rockers. Your engine is just barely sludged
laugh.gif

You got the big filter. It'll catch a lot
smile.gif
EPR will also flash off as the engine runs so that it does not continue to scrub as much. You'll get a good cleaning, but it won't overwhelm the oil pump pick-up or anything.

KREEN OTOH can get pretty aggressive ...

We've cleaned used motors this way and run them for a zillion miles in the past. No biggee
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back