Extra sauce on your pizza?

No way. Sauce is my least favorite part of pizza
Same there. I hate pizza that's too saucy. But I like the sauce to be like water (absolutely no chunks) and sweet. Thin crust (I hate getting a pizza that's nothing but bread). And a ton of cheese that's crispy around the edges (cheese has to be literally running over the crust onto the pan):D

There are several pizza types.
Regular, Sicilian (square), Chicago, Detroit...they're all about the crust. There's only so much sauce which will stay atop a pizza.
My selection varies and depends greatly on execution.

I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE: I got a slice at a pizzeria I've past for over 50 years without ever going in.
A party carrying 13 pies exited as I entered.
The prices were extraordinarily inexpensive.
The pie was the lamest example of served food I've ever encountered. The lackluster dough was merely stained with sauce and was dusted with enough cheese for one slice.

There's a lesson here. Even when surrounded by great pizza options at every price point, there's room for cheap food.
It's one of the things I love about the restaurant industry.

Please don't tell me you like Ketchup on your pizza @AutoMechanic ?
Haha no that’s gross but I sure don’t want sauce on it though I deal with it haha. The place that can keep the sauce is Papa Johns that’s the worst sauce I’ve ever had. I don’t even get pizza there anymore. It used to be good way back in the early 2000s.

Personally, I like thin crust pizza with plenty of sauce up until about 1/4" of the outer edge.

Dislike pizza with 2" of bare crust on the outside. If I wanted to just eat bread, I would buy a loaf of bread.

We have some fancy pizza joint in my small town here now. They post pics on Facebook of their pizzas. Looks like a crust with no toppings.
No thanks. I have never tried their food. Best pizza here is Casey's General Store.

They just demolished the old Pizza Hut, that has been here for years. Guess they will be building a new Pizza Hut / Runza combo there.

I like a Runza now and then, but our town has never had one. Better choice than McDonald's in my opinion.

Sometimes I use BBQ sauce and throw on purple onion, cheddar, beef, and pickle.......or, and I know how this sounds...mix ketchup and mustard to use as the sauce for a cheeseburger pizza. This is what Domino's did years ago when I worked there in HS for a specialty pizza.

Heck, sometimes no sauce is good.
Just depends on the pizza and what sounds good.

The Pizza ads you see today, are all “cheese, cheese, cheese”.

When I was a teenager,(I’m old) pizzas had a lot of sauce and not so much cheese. The cheese was also sliced in, not grated. (As is done on Italy today)

Now when I order a Pizza, I tell them,
“Double the sauce , and half the cheese “.

FYI. In Italy, what we call pepperoni, is called a different name, (Forget the name) translated ”dry sausage”.
Pepperoni in Italy is what we call
“Bell Peppers “. (Italian Bell Peppers are exactly like ours EXCEPT larger. Same diameter and circumference but twice as long”)

In Italy , everyone gets his own pizza. (One for each person)

Now you know.
According to Lidia Bastianich of you ask for pepperoni you'll get either hot pepper flakes or pepperoncini peppers. Maybe it's a regional thing.

2, 3 different kinza pizza.
Thin, medium, thick (Neapolitan on 1 end, Chicago the other). Answer depends on which I'd say.
Then we have gourmet/exotic (a medium crust w/the name/ingredients: Mexican, Hawaiian, Buffalo Wings, etc). Like a "constructed sandwich' (Rubin, Muffalatta, BLT) one would not want to change it or that name would not apply, it would B a different item.

post # 9: use the 500* oven w/a "pizza stone" (that's reached that heat) & havea better result. No twice cook either. Meat? extra sauce? veg? cheeses? doesnt matter, only in there 10, 15 min.
I love the "Naples" this way - medium crust, whole basil leaves, sliced roma tomatoes, a few 'special' kalamata olives/garlic chunks, water buffalo cheese sliced (U call the latter mozzarella, but it's from a Naples invention). Salt, pepper, oregano shaker at the table for personal choice. Mmmm ~

2, 3 different kinza pizza.
Thin, medium, thick (Neapolitan on 1 end, Chicago the other). Answer depends on which I'd say.

People normally mistaken Chicago-style as deep dish, when deep dish is really only eaten sparingly or by tourists. Chicago thin crust is how we normally have it; deep dish all the time gets way to ovewhelming.

1670355580501.jpg

Very little sauce. Pizza is about crust, texture, and the various flavors. Sauce should enhance and not drown out the flavors. And soggy pizza is just nasty. Also, too much cheese is nasty on a pizza and I'm saying that as a stout caseophile.

This style pizza is my preferred pizza whether I buy or make one. A thin crispy crust, little sauce and cheese, thin layers of toppings

This porcini pizza has about the most sauce and cheese I like on any pizza. This is also the thickest crust I like. This pizza is much larger than the individual ones shown above and thus much thicker.

There are many different styles of pizza, and different levels of faithfulness to those styles. They're all good in their own ways.

My favorite has come to be Roman-style pizza al taglio, cut from pans by the slice, and sold by weight. It has a medium-thick, light but crispy crust, and a variety of different toppings.

Another street food, suppli (fried balls of rice) are also fantastic.

Back