Extra lead in sample but no other bearing wear indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story: Since about 9xx miles I have been running Mobil 1 Synthetic (started with Tri-Synthetic forumla and have ended up with SuperSyn). In the winter I run 5W-30 and in the summer 10W-30. I've been running a 3k oil change interval after the car was broken in.

In the first oil analysis I was running 5W-30 and lead appeared a little high, no other bearing wear metals appear to be elevated. In the second oil analysis I was again running 5W-30 but lead is even high than before.

Here's the catch: Right before the first oil analysis I pulled the spark plugs, cleaned them off, rechecked the gap, and then reinstalled. When I installed the plugs I put a bit of anti-seize on the threads (probably too much).

What I'm wondering is:
1. Does anti-seize contain lead?
2. If so, is this lead starting to leach into the cylinder walls and then getting into the oil by the piston rings scrapping against it.

Andy

-

Sorry,

2000 Toyota Celica GTS with 2ZZ-GE engine.

Also, I have been using the factory oil filters it's entire life (Toyota PN: 90915-YZZA1)

I talked with someone in the bulk shipping business and they mentioned that there was a bit of lead in it.

I can't seem to find the chemical formula for it anywhere though...

In any case,

The revision date of that MSDS I mentioned is later than when I originally bought the stuff (years ago).

And even if that's not the case, where is the lead coming from?

I'm confused. Did YOU use Rislone in this interval? or before? Did you use ANY additive of ANY sort? Fuel/oil/otherwise. Some fuel additives if used too much can attack bearing metals. If yes to any of those questions, there is your answer. Try a UOA of an interval without using them.

Maybe you're thinking of Lead naphthenate as the source of lead.

Lead naphthenate was a great anti-wear/anti-seize compound, especially for greases and those oil treatment snake oils which supposedly filled in all the irregularities on your cylinder walls, but isn't used these days.

The lead used in in leaded petrol (gasoline) was usually tetra-methyl-lead or tetra-ethyl-lead (depending on whether you wanted RON or MON augmentation).

By its description Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic should be a long chain non-cyclic hydrocarbon molecule - i.e. a heavy naphthenic molecule which has been broken by heat and pressure into a straight or branched chain and has been hydrogenated.

I think they're using the Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic as their high viscosity oil component. You could check if this product contains lead by including some in a sample of unused oil and having it analysed.

No, I didn't use any Rislone in my engine.

I may be mistaken about the naphthenate, it's just what I've heard.

So where is this lead coming from? I haven't used any oil treatments in this car and I've had this car since I picked it up from the dealer with 4 miles on it.

The only additives I've ever used were gasoline additives (Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner and the Techron stuff by Chevron).

I'm perplexed.

No, I used the specified amount.

It would seem kind of odd if Chevron put lead in their techron additive (not at the pump mind you, that would be illegal).

Something else is probably going on.

I did idle the car more than usual on the second run, which was what the other guy mentioned in his UOA, however my vehicle never really hauls anything and I don't race it around.

I'm running Mobil1 SuperSyn 10W-30 right now, still got another 2300 miles or so to go before I change and send in another sample.

In my first sample my car ended up shearing the oil down to a 20, I'm hoping the 10W will hold.

Lead is not IN the Techron. But the blowby of it into the oil may cause chemical reactions or promote actual wear. Actually I thought Techron was gentle in that respect? Maybe not. Some are quite aggressive.
Did you use the Techron on this interval? If so I wouldn't get too excited until you do another UOA without additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back