Extra lead in sample but no other bearing wear indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy,

I'm the one mentioned earlier that had elevated lead after using Techron. I just noticed your post.

Do you get any preignition knock? I get a little when loaded. I think knock is hard on bearings. I downshift to a lower gear when I hear the pinging. I haven't had a chance to check the timing yet.

Strange, we both used Techron and had mildly high lead levels with less than 3K on the oil. I also had elevated silicon, which you did not.

I'm interested in what you figure out, if anything.

I didn't have any pinging, in fact, the car seemed to run quite a bit better than normal.

In general, I tend to get a little more pinging at low RPM and under slight load (without using the Techron) so if pinging has a really bad effect on the bearings that might explain it.

In the ananlysis before I used techron I still had a bit of lead in the oil (6ppm), I know of another guy with the same type of car and engine and he was averaging around 1ppm of lead.

Like you, I also had a bit of extended idleing although you wouldn't be able to tell by the fuel content.

It's all really strange. I'm running M1 10W-30 right now, we'll see if anything is different in a couple of months.

Can't help much with the chemical discussion but can help with the 'pinging'.
Pinging, even lightly, is VERY hard on the piston ,rings, ring lands and bearings of the offending cylinder. The noise is the piston/rod assembly vibrating / rattling. Its like hitting the top of the piston with a hammer. Most people do not realize that combustion is a gradual process.
'Pinging' changes the gradual to an instant explosion. Any sort of pinging, if not fixed will accelerate the wear in any engine far quicker than poor oil.In a race engine it can and frequently does destroy a piston in a few seconds at wide open throttle.

I run 93 octane now (11.5:1 compression ratio). The only way I can totally prevent knocking under all circumstances is to run about a gallon of toluene in with 7 gallons of 93.

The knocking only occurs mainly in the morning while the car is warming up.

The only bad thing about the toluene is that it feels slightly sluggish while the engine's warming up as well, after that, no knock whatsoever.

I should also mention that the Redline Complete Fuel Injector Cleaner does absolutely nothing for my car.

Irregardless of the results I've gotten above, I'll probably use the Techron stuff (as I don't believe the results above are the result of the Techron).

I'd go to higher octane fuel, until you get no pinging in hot weather under heavy loads. That might help the bearing wear in this case. There is nothing obviously wrong with this engine that would result in abnormal bearing wear.

The other opton that should work is to run 87 octane fuel with 2 ounces of Redline SL-1 fuel injector cleaner in each full tank of fuel. That should keep the combustion chambers very clean and reduce pre-ignition. You could also do the same thing with the Fuel Power additive in the recommended dosage....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back