Extra gas storage/safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone buying extra gas and storing?
is it worth doing it at all?

If yes,
what's the safest/best way to store gas?
outside/inside (we don't have a garage)
what sort of container?

Thanks in advance.

I keep my personal "Strategic Petroleum Reserve," all 40 gallons of it, in proper containers in my shed, which is a separate, stand-alone structure about fifty feet from my house. It's well ventilated, so I really don't worry about it, except to keep the kids away from it. Garages (those attached to the house) are much trickier because of the possibility of explosive fumes accumulating near things like cars, hot water heaters, etc.

I used to have a 520 gallon underground farm gasoline tank. I finally decommisioned it. I just never totally trust it since I also have an underground well.

I've toyed with the idea of having an above ground tank but so far I'm just trusting the nation's fuel distribution system.

However I really would like an easy method to tap one of my vehicles gas tanks if I ever need extra generator gas. The liberals forced anti-siphon fuel tanks in vehicles so I'm not sure how to get around it easily.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Is anyone buying extra gas and storing?
is it worth doing it at all?

If yes,
what's the safest/best way to store gas?
outside/inside (we don't have a garage)
what sort of container?

Thanks in advance.

I have two diesel vehicles and I have about 35 gallons of diesel fuel on hand in approved plastic gas can containers. Diesel is not a volatile as gasoline.

If things really get rough, for an emergency I have 660 gallons of heating oil storage capacity in the house (now full) and recently got a Northern Tools diesel oil transfer pump.

I started using the term "personal strategic oil reserve" back 25 years ago when gasoline was hard to get.

Not because of the current fuel issues, but since we live in the country and have some equipment (a tractor, mowers, generator, etc) I have a 30 gal tank and 4-5 gallon tanks that I keep full. It's nice to have some extra "just in case".

My gas is out in the shop (about 20' from the house).

My fuel pressure test gauge has a bleed hose. I could hook it up to the fuel rail, jumper the pump relay, and drain my tanks into other vehicles.

I have 17 gallons stored in my shed right now. To be honest, I'm pretty nervous about it. 10 gallons are in regular gas cans, (the red plastic kind), so I'm not too worried about those. The other seven gallons are in gallon plastic oil bottles that I have saved, (the blue "Delo 400 15W40" kind of bottle). I'm trying to be really careful out in the shop - no smoking, no grinding of metal, no welding etc. I used to have a place in the country with a big shop 100 feet from the house. Now I live in "town" with a little "shed" about ten feet away from the house. EGADS! This ole' country boy should have stayed in the country!

eljefino - great idea - I just bought a fuel pressure tester to check out the fuel pump in my daughter's 93 Taurus. Do you think I could do what you're saying with my 96 Chevy truck? It has a 32 gallon tank and gets 15 MPG. Currently, I'm driving my little GMC which gets around 25 highway. I have yet to use the tester - but it does have a by-pass and a long tube that I'm assuming will do what you're saying. Do you have any idea how I could do this with my truck?
Thanks for the help.

I've got 100 gallons in the shed in proper cans. I got it @ 2.88/gallon and now its well over $3/gal here. Either way I'm good to go for a few months on that.

It's in the shed out back. Hopefully no sparks, the rear quadrant of the yard will be off the map..lol

nope,
just gonna hock it from your guy's sheds
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mighty HD:
I've got 100 gallons in the shed in proper cans. I got it @ 2.88/gallon and now its well over $3/gal here. Either way I'm good to go for a few months on that.

It's in the shed out back. Hopefully no sparks, the rear quadrant of the yard will be off the map..lol

Thanks, hoarders are as bad or worse than price gougers.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

Originally posted by Mighty HD:

Thanks, hoarders are as bad or worse than price gougers.

You're welcome. What's a "hoarder"? Where's the line? Are you a hoarder if you keep a five gal can full? Two of them? Five?

I've got a situation where a family member may need transportation to medical care on an unpredicatable basis. I'm supposed to rely upon being able to drive up and get gas any time I need it. Oh no wait, I'm sure you'll be right there to give us a lift any time we need if we don't have enough gas on hand.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back